03-23-2016, 04:56 AM
User Info
I don't know if anything such as cruelty free boar brushes exists out there, but I read that there are two methods of harvesting boar bristles. One method is shearing the bristles from boar which causes minimal or no distress to the animal, as far as I know.

Does anyone know if there are boar brushes out there made this way?

8 93
 03-23-2016, 05:45 AM
User Info
I know there are a couple European brands of hairbrushes that claim to be cruelty-free. I am not aware of any shaving brush makers making a similar claim. Besides, if you're concerned about it, the only way to be truly cruelty-free is to go with a synthetic brush.

0 677
 03-23-2016, 05:57 AM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 05:45 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I know there are a couple European brands of hairbrushes that claim to be cruelty-free. I am not aware of any shaving brush makers making a similar claim. Besides, if you're concerned about it, the only way to be truly cruelty-free is to go with a synthetic brush.

Or go for horse hair - cutting a horse mane and tail is part of their regular grooming.

3 4,684
 03-23-2016, 06:04 AM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 05:45 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I know there are a couple European brands of hairbrushes that claim to be cruelty-free. I am not aware of any shaving brush makers making a similar claim. Besides, if you're concerned about it, the only way to be truly cruelty-free is to go with a synthetic brush.

Yes, I found two companies that claim their brushes are made cruelty free but they make hair brushes. To this day I've only purchased synthetic brushes but now would like to venture into cruelty free brushes. Horse hair is the way to go then!! Smile

Thanks for the response.

8 93
 03-23-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 05:57 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:

Or go for horse hair - cutting a horse mane and tail is part of their regular grooming.

Yes,  it looks like horse hair brushes are the next stop for me. Thanks for the response.

8 93
 03-23-2016, 06:14 AM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 05:57 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:

Good point. I always forget about horses Smile.

0 677
 03-23-2016, 08:05 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Synthetic brushes require wholesale environmental assault for the raw resources as does any animal husbandry. The bottom line is we impact the planet one way or another: Take comfort in knowing wetshaving products are all longlasting or recyclable ( I'm saving my old blades to forge a sword).  You
should also keep in mind we are actually losing domesticated breeds variation FASTER than wild species. Factory farming has sent many fascinating breeds into oblivion.

2 3,171
 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 08:05 AM)kav Wrote: Synthetic brushes require wholesale environmental assault for the raw resources as does any animal husbandry. The bottom line is we impact the planet one way or another: Take comfort in knowing wetshaving products are all longlasting or recyclable ( I'm saving my old blades to forge a sword).  You
should also keep in mind we are actually losing domesticated breeds variation FASTER than wild species. Factory farming has sent many fascinating breeds into oblivion.

Thanks for the input. Of course, I understand that every product has an effect on the environment, but personally, when possible, I choose to use products that at least do not directly harm animals.

8 93
 03-24-2016, 06:29 AM
User Info
If you want to try horse, my recommendation is to look directly at Epsilon, and buy unbleached white.

As far as boars go, and I am not passing judgement on your personal choice here, but since the hogs are slaughtered for meat regardless of whether or not wet shavers buy brushes, it seems more ethically acceptable to me to use every last part of it that one can. In this case, I don't think shaving with a bristle brush is propping up the hog farming industry. Just my thought on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 404
 03-24-2016, 06:57 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-24-2016, 06:29 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote: As far as boars go, and I am not passing judgement on your personal choice here, but since the hogs are slaughtered for meat regardless of whether or not wet shavers buy brushes, it seems more ethically acceptable to me to use every last part of it that one can. In this case, I don't think shaving with a bristle brush is propping up the hog farming industry.  Just my thought on it.

I have to agree. 

I have more concerns about the badger hairs and their origin. Is there any of the high quality brush makers that guarantees that none of the hairs he uses and buys from China were not cruelty taken from badgers? I guess you have seen videos on Youtube with badgers and other small animals that get slaughtered from "farmers" in China and other Asian countries for their precious hairs... This is a good reason for me not to buy again any badger brush, I have only one but I don't use it so much. I prefer my boars for many reasons, including the one we talk about here.

49 2,019
 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(03-24-2016, 06:57 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 06:29 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote: As far as boars go, and I am not passing judgement on your personal choice here, but since the hogs are slaughtered for meat regardless of whether or not wet shavers buy brushes, it seems more ethically acceptable to me to use every last part of it that one can. In this case, I don't think shaving with a bristle brush is propping up the hog farming industry.  Just my thought on it.

I have to agree. 

I have more concerns about the badger hairs and their origin. Is there any of the high quality brush makers that guarantees that none of the hairs he uses and buys from China were not cruelty taken from badgers? I guess you have seen videos on Youtube with badgers and other small animals that get slaughtered from "farmers" in China and other Asian countries for their precious hairs... This is a good reason for me not to buy again any badger brush, I have only one but I don't use it so much. I prefer my boars for many reasons, including the one we talk about here.

I am with you on this. It does concern me that animals may be or are being treated cruelly and suffering. I'd be very interested in knowing if there are sources of  badger or boar hair that is cruelty-free.

0 1,846
 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM
User Info

I have to agree. 

There are many aspects of this topic to consider and discuss, certainly way too many to cover in this thread Smile

I came across a manufacturer (link below) that makes boar bristle hair brushes and claims that they humanely harvest their bristles. That's why I wanted to start this thread to see if any anyone knows of any shave brush manufacturer that uses humanely harvested boar bristles.

http://shop.morroccomethod.com/Brushes

8 93
 03-24-2016, 04:18 PM
User Info
(03-24-2016, 03:49 PM)kamyon Wrote:

I have to agree. 

There are many aspects of this topics to consider and discuss, certainly way too may to cover in this thread Smile

I came across a manufacturer (link below) that makes boar hair bristles and claims that they humanely harvest their bristles. That's why I wanted to start this thread to see if any anyone knows of any shave brush manufacturer that uses humanely harvested boar bristles.

I actually think this thread has remained really really civil and respectful of other's opinions. Awesome demonstration of class.

I used to be sort of against badger, because I thought of it as like fur farming, and what was the point? Between boars and synths being so good, why a badger? (And just an FYI, I am a mostly country kid who still raises and sells meat rabbits, both carcass and fur.)

But I did a fair amount of semi serious reading online, and badgers really are pests there: considered and classed as vermin in areas. Yes, the videos show horrible things, but I am a country boy who spent a couple of decades (at least) butchering my own food, and killing pests who came after it. It just sometimes isn't pretty. Videos with an agenda can show whatever you want.

It is hard to watch videos or read type and turn the agenda off.

Until I learned that badger was actually a meat "industry"/semi-localized food source, I was kind of sort of against it too. After hearing and reading that, I sort of remembered my childhood cutting dogs loose on foxes and trying to shoot everything from weasels to coyotes after our chickens or goats when I was a kid. I promise you could have shot some pretty wicked photos/video of me when I was thirteen.

I am not trying to make this a country vs. City thing. I can only look at videos I have seen, other than PETA type extreme agenda stuff, and say: What's the problem? It's life and food and money/survival.

15 404
 03-24-2016, 04:54 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(03-24-2016, 04:18 PM)PickledNorthern Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 03:49 PM)kamyon Wrote:
I have to agree. 

There are many aspects of this topics to consider and discuss, certainly way too may to cover in this thread Smile

I came across a manufacturer (link below) that makes boar hair bristles and claims that they humanely harvest their bristles. That's why I wanted to start this thread to see if any anyone knows of any shave brush manufacturer that uses humanely harvested boar bristles.

I actually think this thread has remained really really civil and respectful of other's opinions. Awesome demonstration of class.

I used to be sort of against badger, because I thought of it as like fur farming, and what was the point? Between boars and synths being so good, why a badger? (And just an FYI, I am a mostly country kid who still raises and sells meat rabbits, both carcass and fur.)

But I did a fair amount of semi serious reading online, and badgers really are pests there: considered and classed as vermin in areas. Yes, the videos show horrible things, but I am a country boy who spent a couple of decades (at least) butchering my own food, and killing pests who came after it. It just sometimes isn't pretty. Videos with an agenda can show whatever you want.

Until I learned that badger was actually a meat "industry"/semi-localized food source, I was kind of sort of against it too.  After hearing and reading that, I sort of remembered my childhood cutting dogs loose on foxes and trying to shoot everything from weasels to coyotes after our chickens or goats when I was a kid. I promise you could have shot some pretty wicked photos/video of me when I was thirteen.

I am not trying to make this a country vs. City thing. I can only look at videos I have seen, other than PETA type extreme agenda stuff, and say: What's the problem?  It's life and food and money/survival.

I am also from the country and read your post with interest and understand exactly what you're saying. I once worked in a meat-processing plant. The question for me is "Does the animal suffer?", not if what we witness looks ugly, or if the animal is considered a pest/vermin. I eat meat. I use badger brushes. And boar.

0 1,846
 03-24-2016, 06:34 PM
User Info
(03-24-2016, 04:54 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 04:18 PM)PickledNorthern Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 03:49 PM)kamyon Wrote: There are many aspects of this topics to consider and discuss, certainly way too may to cover in this thread Smile

Until I learned that badger was actually a meat "industry"/semi-localized food source, I was kind of sort of against it too.  After hearing and reading that, I sort of remembered my childhood cutting dogs loose on foxes and trying to shoot everything from weasels to coyotes after our chickens or goats when I was a kid. I promise you could have shot some pretty wicked photos/video of me when I was thirteen.

I am not trying to make this a country vs. City thing. I can only look at videos I have seen, other than PETA type extreme agenda stuff, and say: What's the problem?  It's life and food and money/survival.

I am also from the country and read your post with interest and understand exactly what you're saying. I once worked in a meat-processing plant. The question for me is "Does the animal suffer?", not if what we witness looks ugly, or if the animal is considered a pest/vermin. I eat meat. I use badger brushes. And boar.

I agree one hundred percent. If the animal is already dead, it is almost respectful on certain levels to use as much of it as you can. If I knew with any certainty (no PITA type propaganda films) that this was a simply kill for fur industry, I would not be such a proponent.

15 404
 03-24-2016, 06:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
We are typing on a computer and using cellphones containing a rare element extracted in a country and industry  that has killed, enslaved, forced into prostitution, evicted the local populations and left an environmental wasteland. It is ethical and moral to be aware of these issues. Using alternatives in our highly interconnected world economy is near impossible.

2 3,171
 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
User Info
Easy fellows......

61 3,796
 03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
User Info
(03-24-2016, 07:02 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Easy fellows......

Yes, you are right. This might be the "bestist civil" one of these conversations I have ever seen. How cool would it be if it stays that way?

15 404
 03-24-2016, 07:18 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
"What demon possessed me that I behaved so well"- Thoreau
Nobody has been uncivil in discussing most uncivil issues here.

2 3,171
 03-24-2016, 11:17 PM
User Info
I agree that if an animal is slaughtered - be it boar, badger, or anything else - we should use as much of it as humanly possible. Not only does it make sense from a practical point of view, but it's also to me a moral obligation.

That said, it makes even more sense to me to use hair that is a renewable resource, such as horse or humanly harvested boar bristles... I'm not volunteering for shearing a live badger though; they can be vicious and ill-tempered creatures.

3 4,684