03-23-2016, 09:41 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Which one of them performs better?

I only have two Meissner Tremonia soaps, a Lavender De Luxe sample and a Dark Limes soap. I haven't tried so far any SV.

I would like to know if there are discernible differences in terms of performance and post- shave feeling between these two artisanal products.

49 2,016
 03-23-2016, 10:12 AM
User Info
Interesting question Nick.
Last month before March Madness - One Soap for a Month challenge started I used Meissner Tremonia Pots of Milk paste a number of times and was able to get a very nice thick, rich lather with it that was VERY slick. It surprised me as in the past when I used the soap it just didn't build my kind of lather.  But I have to admit, it worked beautifully and I was very impressed with the results of the three shaves I used it for.  I have been fairly vocal about my dislike of the soap in the past and now have to eat my own words!
On the other hand Saponificio Varesino is also a wonderful soap I find it to lather and shave beautifully.   The post shave with this one is also spectacular.
So, I guess I'm not much help, currently I like both.  If you asked me two months ago I would've said without hesitation, Saponifico Varesino was the better soap but now I'm not so sure....

75 2,318
 03-23-2016, 10:18 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I am the opposite, I have used SV but not MT yet.

After the completion of March Madness, I will be able to give my impressions of MT, as I've just acquired it this month but not been able to use it yet. I have test lathered it, and while the lather is "different" (and the glass container is much too large for the soap, which I don't appreciate), it feels EXTREMELY slick (zero friction) and protective (cushiony) when I test lather. Btw, it is the Woody Almond soap.

I do enjoy my SV very much, so if MT is anything like that in actual usage, I will be happy.

Curious to hear of others' experiences however!

62 3,004
 03-23-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
Nick, you might as well just get one of the Saponificio Varesino soaps to compare to the other one, then. Shy   It is a very good soap with wonderful post-shave.

83 21,109
 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 10:18 AM)Nero Wrote: I am the opposite, I have used SV but not MT yet.

After the completion of March Madness, I will be able to give my impressions of MT, as I've just acquired it this month but not been able to use it yet. I have test lathered it, and while the lather is "different" (and the glass container is much too large for the soap, which I don't appreciate), it feels EXTREMELY slick (zero friction) and protective (cushiony) when I test lather. Btw, it is the Woody Almond soap.

I do enjoy my SV very much, so if MT is anything like that in actual usage, I will be happy.

Curious to hear of others' experiences however!

I found the same thing Matt.  I think while the soap and the glass jar a beautiful separately, together they make no sense.  I hate when there is such a huge gap between the puck and the container, all the best lather gets lost in the void.  Anyway, I ended up grating the soap and compressing it into the jar, no lost lather anymore.
I have not looked into the formula of MT, nor do I know if the individual scents vary much in formulation, but I found that the Pots of Milk scented soap and paste perform better than my Dark Lime, or Exotic Elemi performed.

75 2,318
 03-23-2016, 10:53 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
As with the others above, I have only tried one, Saponificio Varesino.  I will say that SV is the finest artisan soap I have ever used and may be the best period.  The version i tried is Manna and I also own the Felce and 70th Ann. soaps now (but haven't lathered, only sniffed).  One week with one formula is way to early for me to declare a soap as the best, but it has certainly made me take notice and in an ocean full of new artisan soaps the SV is a mighty island!

148 2,820
 03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Nathan....does the Pots of Milk have any scent?  It is listed as scentless. 

The Pots of Milk is the only MT soap with goat's milk as an ingredient. That may be the difference in it's performance.

169 1,424
 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I believe Meißner Tremonia uses different ingredients for different soaps, so I'm not sure that you can always compare them with Saponificio Varesino. I've enjoyed the MT soaps that I have (perhaps it's my water) and actually like the large, heavy glass jars. They are available in refill pucks without the jars for those who prefer other containers. I haven't found a difference between the soap and the pastes, although I've only tried one paste compared to six soaps. I've also found quite a difference between different preparations of SV, and much prefer the performance of the newer Beta 4.1 formulations (I feel that they have a slicker lather for my straights) over 4.0, although I can't get enough of the Aromatic Fern scent in 4.0. In summary, I find that they are both top performing soaps and it would be difficult to compare the two unless you compared a specific MT soap with a specific formulation of SV.

38 5,196
 03-23-2016, 01:32 PM
User Info
I own 5 SV soaps and 14 MT (7 pastes and 7 soaps)

I rank them equal in performance and scent.

Can't pick a clear winner.

Scent profile, I will have to give it to MT, but SV is not far behind. MT scent are as advanced as B&M soaps from the US are. But with that European twist to them.

Lather, cushion, performance, glide - I rate them equal, maybe a slight notch ahead to SV - but this is so minute a difference.

24 6,018
 03-23-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 01:26 PM)evnpar Wrote: I believe Meißner Tremonia uses different ingredients for different soaps, so I'm not sure that you can always compare them with Saponificio Varesino. I've enjoyed the MT soaps that I have (perhaps it's my water) and actually like the large, heavy glass jars. They are available in refill pucks without the jars for those who prefer other containers. I haven't found a difference between the soap and the pastes, although I've only tried one paste compared to six soaps. I've also found quite a difference between different preparations of SV, and much prefer the performance of the newer Beta 4.1 formulations (I feel that they have a slicker lather for my straights) over 4.0, although I can't get enough of the Aromatic Fern scent in 4.0. In summary, I find that they are both top performing soaps and it would be difficult to compare the two unless you compared a specific MT soap with a specific formulation of SV.

FYI
SV also use different ingredients in their soaps, thus the beta 4, beta 4.1 and so on releases

24 6,018
 03-23-2016, 02:26 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I agree entirely with Claus. SV and Meissner are both top-notch soaps and I struggle to notice any major differences between them in use (other then scent obviously). 

They both provide an awesome range of soaps. Smile

34 662
 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
User Info
(03-23-2016, 01:32 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I own 5 SV soaps and 14 MT (7 pastes and 7 soaps)

I rank them equal in performance and scent.

Can't pick a clear winner.

Scent profile, I will have to give it to MT, but SV is not far behind. MT scent are as advanced as B&M soaps from the US are. But with that European twist to them.

Lather, cushion, performance, glide - I rate them equal, maybe a slight notch ahead to SV - but this is so minute a difference.

Claus, could you rate the MT scents from favorite to least favorite and are they strongly scented or more subdued?

4 929
 03-23-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
Out of the hundreds of soaps I own, SV 4.1 is right at the top. I didn't have as much success with MT, but I haven't used it nearly as much.

3 783
 03-23-2016, 05:06 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I own all the SV soaps along with Meißner Tremonia Lavender De Luxe paste, and I tried samples of Exotic Elemi and Himalayan Heights--for me SV takes the gold no question about it.  Granted I may be biased as I certainly have more experience using SV soaps and consider them exceptional.  That said, I do approach each soap with a blank slate, and I just could not seem to get MT to provide me with the same quality experience....maybe user error, although I'd be surprised if that's the case.  Either way, I WILL be buying more SV soaps, and I MIGHT pick up more MT  Blush

34 1,627
 03-25-2016, 03:17 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
One day I feel like buying the Meißner-Tremonia Mint Ice Menthol and Gentle Menthol and one day I don't. I keep hearing mixed comments on them.

3 2,638
 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM
User Info
(03-25-2016, 03:17 PM)JAYDEE Wrote: One day I feel like buying the Meißner-Tremonia Mint Ice Menthol and Gentle Menthol and one day I don't. I keep hearing mixed comments on them.

Only one way to find out - buy them NOW  Biggrin

24 6,018
 03-26-2016, 06:47 PM
User Info
I just had an sublime shave with the MT Dark Limes shaving paste. Bowl lathered an almond sized chunk for 30 seconds with the Shavemac silvertip, while the lather looks thin and foamy in the bowl, it seems to be an illusion. On application and just by running my fingers over my face I can feel the quality and denseness of this lather, and it resulted in an incredibly slick and protective shave. The only downside to this shaving cream is my skin does feel a little dry post shave. 

The fragrance of Dark Limes from the jar isn't that appealing, it smells like lime and wet concrete. When lathering and during the shave the fragrance is a dark lime and very pleasing. For Pots of Milk, the shave quality was the same though the fragrance does smell a little like spoiled milk, I'll live with it to obtain these kinds of shaves.

Dark Limes - 9/10
Pots of Milk - 7/10

23 475