03-23-2016, 10:05 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
hi All,
Continuing my restructuring, slowly but surely, listed below is an Ardennes Coticule piece purchased from Superior Shave. "Les Lat" was written on the side of this piece when received, which meant it was a "Les Latneues" or also known as a hybrid coticule, this is the soft side of the hybrid coticule glued to slate. 
I've thrown in the towel learning coticule, the feel is outstanding I can get something 'sharp' but can't seem to get it past that. I like the feedback its giving but I haven't figured out how to read it.... going with synthetics because its easier with less variables to manage. But I imagine a coticule would be a very versatile stone if given the chance....

Also included is what Superior Shave called "Ringtone" this piece is a natural combination stone of Coticule and Belgium Blue Whetstone, can't remember if its marked for vein but its pretty decent sized which can be used as slurry or touchup. (it seems to be good touchup on water from what I can figure out)

Les Lat Coticule.. 40mm x 175mm with slurry stone 40mm x 25mm .....  Purchased for  $155
Birch Coticule box (fits all the above) ....  Purchased for $14
Coticule 'Ring tone' 85mm (long side) x 55.5mm (base) ....  Purchased for $15

All pieces have been lapped & chamfer

Total paid for above $184
Pricing for the above set - $145, shipped CONUS  [SOLD]

Thanks all for looking! 
[Image: ZgM6PiY.jpg]
[Image: 3HnmbrR.jpg]
[Image: dQBSVE6.jpg]
[Image: nqaNij0.jpg]
[Image: WwOFzGs.jpg]

35 1,329
 03-23-2016, 12:59 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......a great price.........

44 1,063
 03-24-2016, 05:53 AM
User Info
GLWTS... I tried a few different coticules and gave up, never could get the edge I was looking for like you, went to JNATS after that and have never looked back.

6 1,262
 03-24-2016, 11:16 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(03-23-2016, 12:59 PM)leonidas Wrote: ......a great price.........

thank you! appreciate the kind statement!

(03-24-2016, 05:53 AM)Panther308 Wrote: GLWTS... I tried a few different coticules and gave up, never could get the edge I was looking for like you, went to JNATS after that and have never looked back.

Thanks, I really gave it as much time as I could.. its pretty interesting to see how it changes cutting power with the slurry as it was passable for pocket knives but just couldn't give it that extra 'umph' for a straight razor. Trying to realign the stone setup now and get a nice JNAT like you Wink

35 1,329
 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I've had the best luck with a Charnley Forest and coticules but, every stone has it's own feel and time to invest imho. Beautiful stone you have here!

28 667
 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM
User Info
(03-24-2016, 11:16 AM)refles Wrote:
(03-23-2016, 12:59 PM)leonidas Wrote: ......a great price.........

thank you! appreciate the kind statement!

(03-24-2016, 05:53 AM)Panther308 Wrote: GLWTS... I tried a few different coticules and gave up, never could get the edge I was looking for like you, went to JNATS after that and have never looked back.

Thanks, I really gave it as much time as I could.. its pretty interesting to see how it changes cutting power with the slurry as it was passable for pocket knives but just couldn't give it that extra 'umph' for a straight razor. Trying to realign the stone setup now and get a nice JNAT like you Wink

I currently have two JNATS in my very small collection (Okudo Asagi Tomae and a Nakayama Asagi Tomae) I have a few different tomonaguras that were matched by Alex G. of Japan Stone but I have lately been using a DMT #600 slurry and just working it down after coming off the 4/8 Shapton GS stones and then finish on a mist and 30/60 on linen/leather and have never been disappointed, can usually get a decent edge from bread knife dull to a decent HHT 3/4 in about 20 mins in all goes well and the blade has no issues.

6 1,262
 03-31-2016, 04:44 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
To the top... great pieces of coticule looking for a home!

35 1,329
 04-04-2016, 05:12 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Thank you TSN and Buyer!

35 1,329