03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
User Info
How long will a blade last with Open Comb vs Closed Comb Scalloped Bar vs Safety Bar safety razors?

I read somewhere a user claimed shorter blade life with his Open Comb Merkur 41c/1904 which gives him great shaves.

All I know is I get 4 to 7 shaves with hand stropping out the cheap dollar general, family dollar & other brands when used in my 1960 Fatboy w/ settings 3-5.

0 40
 03-24-2016, 01:49 PM
User Info
I've never experimented to see how this would look. However, I can't see it being more than an insignificant difference, really, with DE blades being so inexpensive.
However, you should try this and offer us your results. Shy

83 21,115
 03-24-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
I only have a 1960 Fatboy & I have been looking around...
I really like the Gillette Tech head concept; but I also like the Merkur 1904 looks too. Both are mild razors from what I have read.

0 40
 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-24-2016, 02:22 PM)easttexas Wrote: I really like the Gillette Tech head concept; but I also like the Merkur 1904 looks too. Both are mild razors from what I have read.

They are mild razors, especially the Tech, but with a heavier stainless steel handle and an aggressive blade, the shaves can be excellent and pretty close.

About your question, I haven't seen any major differences. There are many aspects to think of, from how many days of growth you have to how slick is the soap- cream you use.

49 2,017
 03-24-2016, 02:44 PM
User Info
I shave everyday with a electric rotary razor; but I shave on the weekends with some cheap Tri-Coastal Design Shave Butter or can stuff.

I was thinking since the blade is closer with OC's they might not last longer?

0 40
 03-24-2016, 09:29 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-24-2016, 02:44 PM)easttexas Wrote: I was thinking since the blade is closer with OC's they might not last longer?

The blade is no closer with an open comb than it is with a solid bar razor.  Any well-designed razor, regardless whether it is an open comb or a solid bar or a slant, can deliver the edge of its blade to the site on the skin where the whisker emerges from the skin, and if the edge is there, it can cut the whisker.  

1 1,110
 03-25-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
It sounds plausible to me if the same blade is used; but different results for blade life from different razors?

0 40
 03-26-2016, 08:00 AM
User Info
In general, blade longevity is greatly underestimated by most wet shavers.  They feel the slightest tug (which may have been caused by a briefly incorrect angle or an imperfect lather, or a number of other causes) and they immediately blame the blade and switch it out for a new one.  Or, worse yet, they have made a decision that blades last X number of shaves (2 or 3 or 4 or whatever) and throw them out even though the shave was perfectly smooth and the blade likely had a lot of life left in it.  

I originally fell prey to the mass theory that a fresh blade is always better and that blades were cheap, so I tossed my blades after 3 shaves no matter what.  I eventually tried 4 and it seemed OK, so I stuck with 4 for awhile.  I then went to 5.  Not a problem, but I always expected to feel tugging or a worse shave near the end, so I always convinced myself that 5 was pretty much pushing the limit of what a blade could do on my face.  

Then I found a group of people who use blades for much longer periods of time and are successful at it.  I read some ideas about prolonging blade life, such as maximizing lathers, utilizing shallow angles and light pressure, palm stropping, drying the blade between shaves, and such.  I also learned that "blade failure" isn't a sudden event; blades gradually get dull and your shave doesn't suffer much in the meantime.  I also learned that not every imperfect stroke during the shave is the fault of a dull blade.  

Armed with these facts and new knowledge, I proceeded to take one of my blades out to 12 shaves.  I had never gone beyond 5 before.  Now I routinely get double-digit shaves out of my blades without any discomfort whatsoever.  A 5-pack of blades is now almost two months of shaves (I'm a daily shaver), and my 100-pack will last more than THREE YEARS!  All without sacrificing anything.  Pretty much all I had to do was educate myself to take away my unconscious biases that were really the only thing limiting the number of shaves I could get on a blade. 

Now, to answer the original question.  I don't think it matters whether you use an OC, an SB, or a scalloped SB, provided you take care of your blades and you know how to shave.  The life of the blade should be approximately the same.

2 1,555
 03-26-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
WOW! Thanks for the info 8)

Which blades works best with your razor?

0 40
 03-26-2016, 05:08 PM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 08:00 AM)jukingfisher Wrote: In general, blade longevity is greatly underestimated by most wet shavers.  They feel the slightest tug (which may have been caused by a briefly incorrect angle or an imperfect lather, or a number of other causes) and they immediately blame the blade and switch it out for a new one.  Or, worse yet, they have made a decision that blades last X number of shaves (2 or 3 or 4 or whatever) and throw them out even though the shave was perfectly smooth and the blade likely had a lot of life left in it.  

I originally fell prey to the mass theory that a fresh blade is always better and that blades were cheap, so I tossed my blades after 3 shaves no matter what.  I eventually tried 4 and it seemed OK, so I stuck with 4 for awhile.  I then went to 5.  Not a problem, but I always expected to feel tugging or a worse shave near the end, so I always convinced myself that 5 was pretty much pushing the limit of what a blade could do on my face.  

Then I found a group of people who use blades for much longer periods of time and are successful at it.  I read some ideas about prolonging blade life, such as maximizing lathers, utilizing shallow angles and light pressure, palm stropping, drying the blade between shaves, and such.  I also learned that "blade failure" isn't a sudden event; blades gradually get dull and your shave doesn't suffer much in the meantime.  I also learned that not every imperfect stroke during the shave is the fault of a dull blade.  

Armed with these facts and new knowledge, I proceeded to take one of my blades out to 12 shaves.  I had never gone beyond 5 before.  Now I routinely get double-digit shaves out of my blades without any discomfort whatsoever.  A 5-pack of blades is now almost two months of shaves (I'm a daily shaver), and my 100-pack will last more than THREE YEARS!  All without sacrificing anything.  Pretty much all I had to do was educate myself to take away my unconscious biases that were really the only thing limiting the number of shaves I could get on a blade. 

Now, to answer the original question.  I don't think it matters whether you use an OC, an SB, or a scalloped SB, provided you take care of your blades and you know how to shave.  The life of the blade should be approximately the same.

Wow, that was very informative.

8 93
 03-27-2016, 02:09 AM
User Info
Yeah if a blade is working for me I'll keep it going. I'm at two weeks and counting with my current one. And I don't have any fancy methods of preserving them (I just shave, rinse, and put away) and I don't have any fancy blades (regular old Personnas).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 03-27-2016, 08:03 AM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 04:26 PM)easttexas Wrote: WOW! Thanks for the info 8)

Which blades works best with your razor?

I'm a big fan of Polsilver SIs, so I bought a bunch of them, and that's pretty much all I use now.  

In the past I have also enjoyed PermaSharp Supers, Gillette Silver Blues, Kais, and Feathers.  I think maybe the PermaSharps are on the same level as Polsilvers, but I have only had a couple of 5-packs.  I have extended experience with Polsilvers.  They are reliably good (for me).

2 1,555