03-26-2016, 11:16 AM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
I've recently purchased the Geo F. Trumpers Coconut oil in the hard soap in the wooden bowl.

Smells nice and everything, but it won't lather for me. Just makes an airy shampoo like lather. Had a couple horrible, horrible shaves with it (probably doesn't help that I used my IKON DLC slant).  I don't know what to make of this soap. I thought this was supposed to be a higher end product. 

Things I've tried:
  • Loading wet
  • loading dry
  • Loading for a long, long time.
  • soaking/blooming for 20mins.
  • Soaking for a whole day
  • Soaking with extreamly hot (just under boiling) water
  • Badger brush
  • Synthetic brush
  • Distilled water
Seems like it could be slick enough. Maybe I'll just use it for a preshave, or face soap. Maybe I'll sower with it. Maybe I should just through it away and salvage the bowl.

Is there a secret code to breaking this stuff?

Thanks in advance,

0 43
 03-26-2016, 11:36 AM
User Info
It's a horrible formulation that will not lather.  So sorry you had to find out the hard way.

102 1,545
 03-26-2016, 11:44 AM
User Info
Welcome to the club.  I had a puck of their "Eucris".  Same experience exactly.  Useless un-latherable garbage.  I tried everything. Boar brush, synthetic, soft water, blooming the puck, more water, less water, facing England while singing "God save the Queen".  I gave it away.  The person I gave it to also gave it away.  My advice would be to use it to shower with if you like the scent otherwise, throw it away and never buy it again.  I even contacted their rep in England and the corporate response was that their soaps were lathering good.  I can lather modern Williams easier than that junk.  This is a well known issue and there are even YouTube videos where people try unsuccessfully to use that product.

1 230
 03-26-2016, 12:14 PM
User Info
Check out Anthony Esposito's video on YT of Eucris and Teiste's video (on The Shave Nook YT account) on the 4 various Muhle V2 synthetics where he also get successful lather with the Eucris. 

Personally, although the scent is nice, I would stick to GFT creams and kick their soaps to the curb.

82 1,374
 03-26-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 12:14 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Check out Anthony Esposito's video on YT of Eucris and Teiste's video (on The Shave Nook YT account) on the 4 various Muhle V2 synthetics where he also get successful lather with the Eucris. 

Personally, although the scent is nice, I would stick to GFT creams and kick their soaps to the curb.

Anthony can make great lather out of a dried out organic fat free milk, if he had to  Tongue

With that said, GFT shaving soap along with the newest TF&H shaving soaps are some of the worst performing shaving soap you can buy in any stores.

I still can't get it why they continue selling that awful soap, but since people buy it, they continue to sell it, without reformulating it.

I only ever buy GFT and TF&H creams, I won't touch their soaps.......like in never ever.

Same with Floris and Crabtree & Evelyn, even with the now new formulation, I won't take a chance - even after seeing several people buying it, I still won't touch it.

Too many great products out there to waste my time on these ill performers, that may or may not have been reformulated.
The loss of respect for a company that will sell cr_ap like this in the first place........makes me wonder why I even wamnt their shaving creams in my den, even though the cream performs great.

24 6,019
 03-26-2016, 01:38 PM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
(03-26-2016, 11:44 AM)Laird Wrote: Welcome to the club.  I had a puck of their "Eucris".  Same experience exactly.  Useless un-latherable garbage.  I tried everything. Boar brush, synthetic, soft water, blooming the puck, more water, less water, facing England while singing "God save the Queen".  I gave it away.  The person I gave it to also gave it away.  My advice would be to use it to shower with if you like the scent otherwise, throw it away and never buy it again.  I even contacted their rep in England and the corporate response was that their soaps were lathering good.  I can lather modern Williams easier than that junk.  This is a well known issue and there are even YouTube videos where people try unsuccessfully to use that product.

Ha ha, I'll have to remember the "God save the Queen" bit! Maybe that'll work, it'll be fun to sing in the shower anyways.

Thanks,

0 43
 03-26-2016, 01:41 PM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
(03-26-2016, 12:14 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Check out Anthony Esposito's video on YT of Eucris and Teiste's video (on The Shave Nook YT account) on the 4 various Muhle V2 synthetics where he also get successful lather with the Eucris. 

Thanks,

I'll have to look out for those videos. I subscribe to Anthony's channel on YouTube. His language can be coarse at times, but definitely he is good to watch.

0 43
 03-26-2016, 01:45 PM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
(03-26-2016, 01:06 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Anthony can make great lather out of a dried out organic fat free milk, if he had to  Tongue

With that said, GFT shaving soap along with the newest TF&H shaving soaps are some of the worst performing shaving soap you can buy in any stores.

I still can't get it why they continue selling that awful soap, but since people buy it, they continue to sell it, without reformulating it.

I only ever buy GFT and TF&H creams, I won't touch their soaps.......like in never ever.

Same with Floris and Crabtree & Evelyn, even with the now new formulation, I won't take a chance - even after seeing several people buying it, I still won't touch it.

Too many great products out there to waste my time on these ill performers, that may or may not have been reformulated.
The loss of respect for a company that will sell cr_ap like this in the first place........makes me wonder why I even wamnt their shaving creams in my den, even though the cream performs great.

Agreed, definitely some cheaper better performers out there. At least I got a fancy wood bowl out of the deal. Still feel ripped-off though. Seems like stores should pull this stuff off the selves. 

Thanks,

0 43
 03-26-2016, 01:48 PM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
(03-26-2016, 11:36 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: It's a horrible formulation that will not lather.  So sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Me too. I can't believe they don't know that it won't lather.  I did like the Geo F. Trumpers skin food. I'm sure I could find cheaper better performers though.

Thanks,

0 43
 03-26-2016, 02:25 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
You needed this one
[Image: 5de5bd2598af19dca5b3b73adc227ab0.jpg]

[Image: 278e290cdd8e84d568987b6527b2be7c.jpg]

62 3,012
 03-26-2016, 04:05 PM
  • DRD_3
  • Michigan
User Info
Wow! Does this mean they've fixed the soap and I have old stock?

0 43
 03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
I know that C&E switched over but I am unsure if GFT did as well. I believe their both made by the same manufacturer.

0 517
 03-26-2016, 06:48 PM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 04:05 PM)DRD_3 Wrote: Wow! Does this mean they've fixed the soap and I have old stock?

No, new stock is cr_ap - old formulation was - so I hear, quite okay.

But as I said, 1000's of other soaps out there, where you don't have to speculate over, which formulation you have to get.

I admit that I'm going after v3 of the Santa maria Novella formulation, and not v2, but this is because it might just be the best croap out there.

GFT and TF&H soaps has NEVER to the best of my knowledge been among the worlds best soaps, even in their best formulations - perhaps good, but not GREAT - so why haunt them down unless they are presented just in front of you (like a member in here did with the old tallow formulation of the AOS soaps, which I got 4 pucks of from him, but I would NEVER EVER waste my time trying to hunt this down, I would just buy Czech & Speak refill pucks or the new triple milled Valobra tallow pucks and live happily ever after.......

For the life of me, I can't see why I should hunt down formulations of evidence showing how much these big old brands are sleeping and not doing thri homework - selling lousy formulations of their shaving soap - just to name a few, which should be slapped in the back of their head for not acting professional and selling lousy shaving soaps:

Penhaligon - v1 was great, v2 lousy, v3 better, v4...sighhh
Geo F Trumper - latest versions is horrible
Truefitt & Hill - latest version is horrible
Crabtree & Evelyn - newest version should be better, but the latest version up until a month or so ago was mediocre at best
Floris - their newest version maybe perhaps somehow doubtfully arguably could might hbe better, but the latest I know of is terrible
Art of Shaving - their newest is mediocre or medium, the old one made by Valobra with tallow is fantstic (I own 4 pucks of this version thanks to Grant, a member here)

I need a drink..........I get all dizzy from all the speculation of which version is okay, which version is great and what version is terrible........sighhhhh

24 6,019
 03-26-2016, 06:53 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-26-2016, 02:25 PM)Nero Wrote: You needed this one

I have the same formulation in the Rose and the Violet. I believe they are the older formula. They lather very nicely.

99 18,011
 03-26-2016, 08:03 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I had two old stock pucks in rose when I first started out. They were one of THE soaps discussed on shaving forums before Phil and others opened up this cornucopia of brands. They reformulated and that was all she wrote. I think they prey on the new and ignorant much like Merkur with their
galvanized roofing panel blades. It's a real shame; scent, packaging and a nice bowl with that old school british mystique and they make a product not dissimilar to a popular UK food spread.

2 3,171
 03-27-2016, 12:57 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(03-26-2016, 06:48 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 04:05 PM)DRD_3 Wrote: Wow! Does this mean they've fixed the soap and I have old stock?

Art of Shaving - their newest is mediocre or medium, the old one made by Valobra with tallow is fantstic (I own 4 pucks of this version thanks to Grant, a member here)

It's sooo good. I hope you like the lemon and lavender as much as the sandalwood.

10 759
 03-27-2016, 02:36 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-26-2016, 06:53 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 02:25 PM)Nero Wrote: You needed this one

I have the same formulation in the Rose and the Violet. I believe they are the older formula. They lather very nicely.

Agreed!
If I'm not mistaken, Phil still has those two scents in the bowls in stock.
I have a few Coconut Oil in bowls on BST, as well. (Only bc I have several extras of course, not because I don't want them.)

62 3,012
 03-27-2016, 02:43 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If I recall correctly the rose was leaving a pinkish stain on some brushes. I may be thinking of their cream. If Phil does have old stock it's worth a puck, unlike the new which isn't worth a ......................

2 3,171
 03-27-2016, 03:14 PM
User Info
(03-27-2016, 12:57 PM)grantmm Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 06:48 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

It's sooo good. I hope you like the lemon and lavender as much as the sandalwood.

Holy shoot, Grant - I only thought you gave me the lemon (in the refill package) and then 2 sandalwoods - so one of the sandlawood refills is actually a lavender ?

24 6,019
 03-27-2016, 03:17 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
On the bright side, I think you may have decent wood bowl to put a good soap in if you care to. Wink

60 1,627