03-26-2016, 11:37 AM
User Info
I normally shave with DE 5 times a week and use the feather artist club blades in the cobra about once a week or maybe two weeks. With that said, I am curious what are some of the ways people use to maintain the edge of DE blades between shaves? I normally get 3-4 shaves out of a DE blade by I've read some comments where a user can get 10+ shaves...
With SE blades used once a week or so, I would like to be able to preserve the edge for the next shave. When I used these blades daily, I got as many as 15 shaves from them but now that they are being used every so long I am wondering if the edge will deteriorate will sitting on the shelf??

I have noticed with DE blades that blade life can depend heavily on lather quality and slickness but besides that, what are some of the things I can do to extend the blade life? Appreciate the comments

18 787
 03-26-2016, 11:56 AM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 11:37 AM)snowman Wrote: I normally shave with DE 5 times a week and use the feather artist club blades in the cobra about once a week or maybe two weeks. With that said, I am curious what are some of the ways people use to maintain the edge of DE blades between shaves? I normally get 3-4 shaves out of a DE blade by I've read some comments where a user can get 10+ shaves...
With SE blades used once a week or so, I would like to be able to preserve the edge for the next shave. When I used these blades daily, I got as many as 15 shaves from them but now that they are being used every so long I am wondering if the edge will deteriorate will sitting on the shelf??

I have noticed with DE blades that blade life can depend heavily on lather quality and slickness but besides that, what are some of the things I can do to extend the blade life? Appreciate the comments

I don't think you need to do anything special.  Just make sure to take it out of your razor and give it a chance to dry properly so you don't get tea stains.

If you want to be hardcore, I suppose you can palm strop the blade in the razor prior to removal and a quick dunk in alcohol to dry out the water would help.

18 655
 03-26-2016, 12:14 PM
User Info
For the most part I simply rinse with hot water, shake and put aside in the razor. For a razor that I would not for a long time, I might simply ditch the blade - they are cheap, after all. If I wanted to keep the blade, I would dry it and leave where air could circulate.

3 4,674
 03-26-2016, 12:23 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I just rinse them but have friends that swear by a dip in alcohol. Alcohol evaporates faster than water more thouroughly drying the blade.

9 462
 03-26-2016, 01:19 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Extremely HOT water will evaporate and was the medium for cleaning black powder firearms. Since almost all modern blades are stainless sitting in the razor is no more harmfull than in the wrapper.

2 3,171
 03-26-2016, 01:22 PM
User Info
Thanks for the advice gents.. I normally clean the blade with hot water and pad it dry with a thin cloth. I make sure not to pull so I don't damage the blade edge...
So I guess washing the blade with hot water and leaving it to dry on its own is perfectly fine?

18 787
 04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
I remove the blade from the razor, rinse it thoroughly, allow it to air dry, and then put in back in the razor.

0 11
 04-24-2016, 06:03 PM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 01:22 PM)snowman Wrote: Thanks for the advice gents.. I normally clean the blade with hot water and pad it dry with a thin cloth. I make sure not to pull so I don't damage the blade edge...
So I guess washing the blade with hot water and leaving it to dry on its own is perfectly fine?

That's how I do it and see no blade damage.

61 3,796