03-26-2016, 03:31 PM
User Info
A new obsession of mine: mustache wax.  I've researched the pros and cons of various products available on Etsy and Amazon, etc., and have made several trial batches, which I'm trying to pare down to the best and then tweak to improve even more.  I'm not into using paraffin or petroleum products, but beeswax, other waxes, oils and butters are all possible ingredients.  If you use (or have used) mustache wax, what are the most important attributes of a good one?  Are there ingredients that you consider essential, be it lanolin, shea, some particular oil, or other?  Do you prefer a medium, medium firm, or really firm hold?  How important is the scent?  Are you more attracted to a very simple ingredient list or does that not matter?  Do you prefer a glossy or a matte look?  Have you had trouble washing removing wax from your mustache at the end of the day? 

Anybody want to talk about mustache wax?   Smile

0 281
 03-26-2016, 04:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I tried to use Pinaud in the military.  I was ordered to stop for the very real possibility of burn injuries in event of a fire on ship or in aircraft. It was pretty awful; colored in blonde,brown and black and always looked very artificial. I later found Burt's Bees chapstick a pretty good substitute in university. Scent would probably conflict with the use of AS-EDTs. With your heartbreaking selection though it might work. I am a fan of Poirot, but not shiny moustaches. Euro

2 3,171
 03-26-2016, 10:52 PM
User Info
I use the moustache wax (and beard balm, and beard oil) from Big Red Beard Combs, and is quite satisfied with the result - I like the scent, it has staying power, and it's not shiny.

3 4,679
 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
They've got excellent branding!  Nice website, thanks.  Does their mustache wax have an ingredient list that you could share?  The website only mentions jojoba and hempseed oils.

0 281
 03-27-2016, 01:05 PM
User Info
The moustache wax lives in a pocket of my fatigues - I'll try to remember to have a look when I'm back at work on Tuesday.

3 4,679
 03-28-2016, 09:39 PM
User Info
Here we are; Beeswax, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, hempseed oil, essential oil blend (cedarwood, frankincense and bergamot).

Hope that helps Smile

3 4,679
 03-29-2016, 03:44 PM
  • Jack
  • Old School
  • Long Island
User Info
Michelle, very interesting obsession and welcome to the rabbit hole. Kav has already intimated that there are a myriad of products easily pressed in to use as moustache stiffeners including glue sticks, hair spike gels (GOT 2B glued) and Lansinoh (HPA Lanolin nipple prep). Now that I have everyone's attention, a Caveat. Anything you put above or about your lips is going to be ingested. 

I use Dub's products (Dubswashere.com) and Proraso wax and balm, as well as some not moustache specific products. 

The wax should be clear when applied and not harden with a yellow cast. 

A single note background scent or unscented. 

Competition Hold - tight Handelebar curl that lasts 5 hours +. 
Mid Hold - Handlebar with swoops that last 3 hours or more. 
Lite Hold - relaxed bar holding its shape. This can be achieved with a balm or pomade. 

I have a box of firm or stronger hold waxes, which perfectly describes their state in tin, but turn into a greasy film when applied. Most of these waxes have a preponderance of oils/butters in their ingredients - great for balms, not so much as a wax.

0 170
 07-11-2017, 09:21 AM
User Info
Any updates?  I'm now in the market for a new wax...
[Image: rdiNswv.jpg]

1 297
 07-11-2017, 10:05 AM
User Info
Matte finish+

I like Detroit Grooming wax and beard products.
Wax has no odor.

Troy

8 168