07-28-2012, 10:43 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Saturday, 28 July 2012

Sabi badger brush
German unknown make plastic slant razor
Gillette 7 O' Clock Super Platinum [Black] blade (2nd use)
Prairie Creations pre-shave oil
GADA Cool Mint shaving cream (thanks Jeff Smile)
up & up (Target house brand) witch hazel
Prairie Creations Unscented Aftershave Balm
Pinaud Clubman talc
Floris No. 89 EdT

Jeff was kind enough to send me the GADA Cool Mint shaving cream, telling me that I would really enjoy it. Of course, he was 100% correct. This is a delightful cream. While menthol is not listed as an ingredient, this cream truly lives up to its name Cool Mint. The cooling sensation pleasantly builds with each pass. Unlike some menthol creams, this does not have a strong medicinal smell that lingers. Therefore, I was easily able to use one of my favorite EdTs, Floris No. 89, without any clashing scents. The lather made was creamy, lasted throughout my 3-pass shave without going back to the bowl, and was very kind to my face. Glide was excellent. One ingredient listed that I found interesting was Vaseline, something I don't think I have ever noticed added to any other shaving cream.

This Lebanese cream is excellent and if you have an opportunity to try it then I certainly recommend it. Since it was a gift from Jeff, I have no idea of its cost or where it can be obtained. I thought I remember Jeff telling me that it was readily available in the Lebanese markets in Montréal but he would have to confirm that, as well as cost. Thanks for the opportunity to try this unassuming but excellent cream, Jeff. [Image: thumbsup.gif]

[Image: SOTDSaturday28July2012.jpg]

2 5,000
 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-28-2012, 10:36 AM)Andrew Wrote: Saturday:

[Image: 7663305584_4021f49023_z.jpg]

SMN Pre/Dopo Barba
Martin de Candre
Simpsons Chubby 2 Super
Gillette #77
Gillette Rubie
Alum
Alt Innsbruck

Andrew, that's a darn nice picture. I also like that MdC soap container and tray.

186 25,800
 07-28-2012, 11:03 AM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
(07-28-2012, 09:35 AM)celestino Wrote: Bruce, gorgeous colour on that mug.

Thanks celestino! I love the color of deep Cobalt and have a number of items with that color. Smile

6 448
 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM
User Info
(07-28-2012, 10:43 AM)freddy Wrote: Saturday, 28 July 2012

Sabi badger brush
German unknown make plastic slant razor
Gillette 7 O' Clock Super Platinum [Black] blade (2nd use)
Prairie Creations pre-shave oil
GADA Cool Mint shaving cream (thanks Jeff Smile)
up & up (Target house brand) witch hazel
Prairie Creations Unscented Aftershave Balm
Pinaud Clubman talc
Floris No. 89 EdT

Jeff was kind enough to send me the GADA Cool Mint shaving cream, telling me that I would really enjoy it. Of course, he was 100% correct. This is a delightful cream. While menthol is not listed as an ingredient, this cream truly lives up to its name Cool Mint. The cooling sensation pleasantly builds with each pass. Unlike some menthol creams, this does not have a strong medicinal smell that lingers. Therefore, I was easily able to use one of my favorite EdTs, Floris No. 89, without any clashing scents. The lather made was creamy, lasted throughout my 3-pass shave without going back to the bowl, and was very kind to my face. Glide was excellent. One ingredient listed that I found interesting was Vaseline, something I don't think I have ever noticed added to any other shaving cream.

This Lebanese cream is excellent and if you have an opportunity to try it then I certainly recommend it. Since it was a gift from Jeff, I have no idea of its cost or where it can be obtained. I thought I remember Jeff telling me that it was readily available in the Lebanese markets in Montréal but he would have to confirm that, as well as cost. Thanks for the opportunity to try this unassuming but excellent cream, Jeff. [Image: thumbsup.gif]

[Image: SOTDSaturday28July2012.jpg]

Freddy, I am so happy you like it. I will be more than happy to keep you supplied at all times with it!

0 2,561
 07-28-2012, 03:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Saturday

Homemade pre shave oil/Santa Maria La Novella shaving cream/Semogue The Shave Nook brush/Merkur 38C safety razor with Astra/D.R. Harris Arlington balm

[Image: P1240875.JPG?m=1343516012]

With my skin really dry and very senstive,I decided to try this method of shaving,with excellent results today :

So I applied my homeda pre shave oil,made the lather on a scuttle and applied it with painting strokes and I got a very close shave and my skin didnt feel as "raw" as other times recently.

This is the homemade pre shave oil I make :

So if you have very sensitive skin or very dry as mine,try the pre shave oil,and follow the instructions of the first video.

93 7,442
 07-28-2012, 03:10 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
7/28//2012

Pre: Hot Shower & MRGLO
Brush: Muhle Kosmo Silvertip Fibre
Cream: DR Harris Windsor sample
Razor: Fatboy @ 3
Blade: Rapira
EdT: DR Harris Windsor sample

Wow! I really enjoyed the Windsor cream. Absolutely fantastic scent and of course great lather. The Fatboy gave me the smooth, clean shave I have been missing, maybe I won't miss the Sticky... The Windsor EdT left something to be desired though. It didn't last long and initial application wasn't as nice of a scent as the cream to me.

40 1,958
 07-28-2012, 03:57 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
Saturday 28th July

Facial Scrub
3P Pre/Post cream
Muhle R106/Gillette Bleue Extra
Semogue 1800 Brush
Vitos Green Soap
Witchazel
Rosehip Oil
Lilac Vegetal

3 Pass BBSBiggrin

1 573
 07-28-2012, 04:22 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
DFS Cool

Pre: very warm water wash, hot towel, RB#1 scuttle, soak brush

Shave(3-pass): Progress LH (set on 4) loaded with Personna Red(1), RS PB2 brush, Doctor Sweettooths French Vanilla shave soap(bar)

Post: warm water rinse, Naturally Fresh rock-stick deodorant(ammonium alum), cold water rinse, Krampert's Finest Bay Rum AS
Biggrin

9 1,684
 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
Saturday, July 28

Razor: Feather SS
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Chubby Silvertip
Soap/Cream: MWF
A/S: Old Spice

34 1,758
 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info
* No worries, Bruce.

* Great soap container, Andrew; really beautiful

91 21,284
 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Klar Kabbinet / T&H Pure / New Gem G-Bar / Alum
[Image: IMG_1204.JPG]

3 748
 07-28-2012, 06:40 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Saturday

MRGLO pre shave
EJ89 DE razor
Astra SP blade
Simpson Wee Scot brush
DR Harris Arlington shave soap stick
Alum block
GFT West Indies Lime skin food

21 425
 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
Schick Adjustable
Persona Re-Brand Blade
Vulfix # 1 Boar Brush
Proraso Cream (old formula)
Speick AS

2 68
 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
Weber ARC
Astra
Semogue SOC
Mike's Natural Barbershop
Alum
Pinaud Bay Rum

0 156
 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
User Info
Blind Blade Test, Shave of the Day (SOTD) Saturday July 28, 2012
[Image: BBT-Blade4-Day1.jpg]
Prep: Brush soaking in hot water, face scrub with TSD Sandalwood soap, Tepid Water Shower
Razor:
1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable set to 9
Blade: Blind Blade Test Blade #4, Shave #1
Brush: VIe-Long LE Beehive Natural Horse Hair
Soap: Tabac
AS: Brut Attitude Loción
Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

Late posting my SOTD as I just have been busy today. A customer started texting at 8:30 am, I had some light plumbing work to do around, ran to the store and cooked dinner (Cornish Hens stuffed with cornbread stuffing, served with butter beans and collard greens).

This is day eight of the blind blade test, which is the first shave with blade number four.

Per the guidelines of the test I will not be posting my results of the blade, as we do not want other participants to be influenced by our own shaving experience. At the end of the test, I will be posting my complete daily journal.

All variables remain the same accept for the aftershave, which today is a first, the Brut Attitude Loción, which comes in a glass bottle.

The initial smell is a modern aquatic scent with top notes of citrus, mint, and pepper. When first applied it is very strong but within about 15 minutes it calms down, it has very clean summery scent. I notice a little oakmoss, cedar with slight hints of musk and lavender.

I like this a lot, will definitely become part of my regular rotation.

5 833