03-26-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
So here it is; the razor feared in some quarters of the DE community for it's legendary aggressiveness. Before using it for the firs time I made sure my affairs were in order. I wrote my will. I banked blood. I informed my next of kin that the next shave may send me to that great shaving bowl above; on a cloud of heavenly lather, drenched in blood.

Would I die by decapitation? Open a jugular vein when shaving against the grain? Bleed slowly to death from a thousand nicks and weepers? I am not ready to depart this life, yet I must, must find out if the Muhle R41 is as aggressive as the legends would have us belief.

I shaved... and...I lived!! Oh sweet life, free of whiskers! How I love thee glass smooth cheeks, neck and jawline!

OK enough already!

In fact I found this to be not only a smooth but incredibly comfortable shave. Paired with a Rapira Platinum Lux, blade, and using a thick lather of Arko soap on top of some pre-shave oil and a freshly washed face, it was an awesome shave. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation on neck or jaw. Feedback, post-shave from that harsh mistress, the alum block, was minimal.

I write this 14 hours after the shave, and it's still pretty good. I have a coarse fast-growing beard and somewhat sensitive skin. But I have worked. Hard. I say with some pride (and yes perhaps a little smugness) that I deserve the feel of a close shave with this razor because I have worked on my shaving technique.

Woe to the heavy hand that will indeed shed costly blood with this razor. But a light yet certain touch will bring to you a face as smooth as monumental alabaster. Are you worthy? Dost thou deserve? Then run my son (or perhaps daughter too?) to this razor for the delights of an effortless, smooth shave await you.

0 22
 03-26-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
I haven't gone back after the first bloodletting, I'll give it another shot with a Derby or Rapira blade.

22 160
 03-26-2016, 08:33 PM
User Info
Which Muhle R41, 2011 or 2013?  There's quite a bit of difference.

14 228
 03-26-2016, 08:45 PM
User Info
I get an amazingly close shave with my 2013 R41. I usually use an Astra SP or maybe Polsilver blade, always keeping in mind that super light touch. I don't find my R41 conducive to shaving against the grain on my upper lip, but a shave of only two passes can be exceptionally close on cheeks, neck, and chin!

If you enjoy a really aggressive razor, but would like something maybe a notch or two lower on the aggression, try Maggard's V3A DE shaving head. It feels a lot like my iKon SB stainless head, and is very affordable. If you like the growlers, you will not be disappointed.

5 395
 03-27-2016, 03:38 AM
User Info
It is comforting to know the wet shaving community has not lost one. The R41 is beloved by a nephew who could/should probably shave 3x a day.

36 910
 03-27-2016, 05:10 AM
User Info
The Aimsport Razor Labs (a member of this forum) created a custom topcap called the "Spitfire" which transforms the 2013 R41 into an improved version of the 2011.  
It is 3D printed from resin, and can be had for under $20 on the internet.  It gave me the closest shave I've ever gotten from a DE razor.  
All Muhle R41's have a blade flexability issue however that makes them dangerous to the unskilled user.  
The iKon Tech is just as aggressive, but has a much more stable blade, and is therefore safer.  
After much trial and error, I have come to prefer the thicker stiffer blade of the Gem SE, and the Gem Single edge Razors, over any DE razor made.  
They are both more aggressive and smoother.  The Cobras and Mongooses (which use Feather AC blades) are also excellent razors.

14 228
 03-27-2016, 05:16 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I guess the earlier version of the Muhle R41 created the bad rep but the 2013 version, even though milder, still takes excellent technique to use successfully. The 2013 version is still not a DE for the heavy handed sloppy shaver to use.

Congrats on successfully using your Muhle R41. Lovely DE if handled correctly as you have show.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-27-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 08:33 PM)Roy Otto Yor Wrote: Which Muhle R41, 2011 or 2013?  There's quite a bit of difference.

2013 Very pleasant shave. Today I shaved with the Ikon Tech. Also very easy and smooth.

0 22
 03-27-2016, 05:01 PM
User Info
(03-27-2016, 05:10 AM)Roy Otto Yor Wrote: The Aimsport Razor Labs (a member of this forum) created a custom topcap called the "Spitfire" which transforms the 2013 R41 into an improved version of the 2011.  
It is 3D printed from resin, and can be had for under $20 on the internet.  It gave me the closest shave I've ever gotten from a DE razor.  
All Muhle R41's have a blade flexability issue however that makes them dangerous to the unskilled user.  
The iKon Tech is just as aggressive, but has a much more stable blade, and is therefore safer.  
After much trial and error, I have come to prefer the thicker stiffer blade of the Gem SE, and the Gem Single edge Razors, over any DE razor made.  
They are both more aggressive and smoother.  The Cobras and Mongooses (which use Feather AC blades) are also excellent razors.

I've only had one shave with the Muhle, but no blade flexibility issues. I used the Ikon Tech for the first time today and liked it.

I've used a Gem razor with a Gem Personna blade and had a miserable shave. Coarse and painful, so I'd appreciate tips on how to use it, because I have three Gem razors!

I agree that a thicker blade should produce superior results but practice has not met theory. I found my Gem was absolutely horrible XTG, especially around the neck. Please tell me how you use these SE razors, because I know a lot of people like them.

0 22
 03-31-2016, 06:45 AM
User Info
I once owned a R41.  Yes I could get a close shave but I found I'd get to much razor burn and I found it to uncomfortable to continue on using it.  I feel shaving should be enjoyable and fun.  I've now settled on my '59 FatBoy to give me the "perfect" shave.

0 79