03-27-2016, 10:40 AM
User Info
I've finally, after about 4 years, grown sick and tired of how, if I change my grind settings from espresso to drip with my Baratza Vario, that it wastes a bunch of coffee before it's dialed back in for espresso.

The cheap and obvious solution is to buy a Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore for my drip needs, and keep the Vario running for espresso. But just like "using Arko and Astra" is the cheap and obvious solution on TSN for shaving, I am instead considering moving the Vario to drip duty and buying a commercial espresso grinder.

I'm looking at two options - The Ceado E37S has 83mm burrs, has low retention, and doesn't lose its settings when you clean it. That's a big plus to me considering my growing frustration w/ the Vario.  But then there's the mac daddy of home/commercial crossover the Mahlkoenig K30 Vario Grinder that, if I save up a few extra months, I could make happen. Buy once, cry once, right? I've never seen a negative review on this grinder (there are some complaints about the Ceado) but the K30 costs as much as the espresso machine itself!

Anyone here with a home espresso setup using something commercial?

6 643
 03-27-2016, 10:53 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I made the move to a dedicated espresso grinder years ago. For me it was a smart move. I use a Mazzer Mini for brewed coffee.and a Cimballi Hybrid for Espresso. Both machines have served me very well. There is no reason a good commercial machine should not last 20 plus years trouble free for home use. Buy good once and never look back

67 1,032
 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM
User Info
Both Ceado and Mahlkönig should provide great espresso.
Do not worry about grinders costing more than the espresso machine: the grinder is more important!

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

0 155
 04-29-2016, 05:24 AM
User Info
Commercial grinders are great but I find that they take up a lot of space. I found happiness in this Ascaso i-steel with 54mm flat burrs and step-less adjustments. Aesthetically pleasing matching well with the Zacconi Riviera.
[Image: r05Mpxu.jpg]

5 263