03-27-2016, 12:49 PM
User Info
Hello, 

I received the 75 Aniversario this week. Nice brush and somewhat different from any other 2 band I've tried (and I've tried a lot of them). 

Studying up on this brush and the Epsilon 2 band, it sounds like most believe these brushes use the same hair. I recall that Juan of G&C did not commit to saying they are in fact the same. 

My 75 Aniversario measures 24/53mm with 53mm free loft. Density is somewhat higher than the M7 2 band. 

I am surprised that the brush has noticeable prickle/tickle/scritch even after a good long soak in warm water. The prickle/tickle/scritch, as most others have noted, is pleasant and not uncomfortable. 

So my observation is this: if the Epsilon 2 band is indeed the same hair (but a knot that is fatter, denser, and frequently lower-lofted), it should be a scritch monster. This doesn't seem to be people's experience, so I'm fairly certain it is different hair in the 75 Aniversario. 

Thoughts? 

Regards, 

ntr(nwu)

1 255
 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
User Info
I own the 75th Aniversario, love it.  I can't compared it since I have never used the Epsilon.  But, I really like my Aniversario and I find it an excellent performer.

61 3,796
 03-27-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
I have never tried the 75 Aniversario brush, but the Epsilon 2-Band knots have no scritch, whatsoever. The 55mm lofted knots are some of the best knots I have tried with fantastically strong backbone and very soft tips providing a wonderful scrub. The 50mm lofted ones have even more scrub, but still no scritch.

Nevertheless, this could also be a YMMV as your interpretation of scritch might vary from mine or others.

Good luck with the brush.

83 21,081
 03-27-2016, 01:28 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Or badgers with different scratch genes.

2 3,171
 03-27-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing, hrfdez and Celestino. If the 75 Aniversario had zero scritch, it would not have nearly as interesting a character as it does. So I am very pleased with the brush. 

Curious: do any Epsilon 2 bands have these orange tips (macro shot of my Aniversario)? 

[Image: dLZU0I3.jpg]

1 255
 03-27-2016, 01:38 PM
User Info
Now, that's a Macro, well done!

61 3,796
 03-27-2016, 01:43 PM
User Info
I have owned the 75. th anniversay (2 in fact) and I have owned/own 6 Epsilons.

My take.

Vie Long claims the 75.th brush uses some of their best 2-band hair ever.

Epsilon also uses top quality hair, but I do believe the 75.th edition could have used hair from a batch, that was with very soft tips and nice backbone.

You see the same batch variations in all badger hair types. It's natural. I think Vie Long handpickled some if not the best ever 2-band hair for this 75.th brush.

Epsilon could use some of the same hair, but their knots are far more densely packed with shorter loft, so - even if hair was from the same batch - it would feel far more dense and solid if used in a Epsilon brush, no matter if it's 55 or 50 mm loft, compared to the far less dense 24 mm 75.th brush.

If the 75.th had a slightly thicker knot, 25-26 mm it would/could have been among my favourite brushes ever made.
24 mm if a bit too think a knot for my preference these days, so I have sold both the ones I owned.

But as said this 75.th brush is a fantastic performing brush.

I have said it before, Vie Long is a highly underrated brush manufacturer.......

24 5,971
 03-29-2016, 05:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
This conversation is interesting to me. I've recently discovered the beauty of the Epsilon knots, and have wondered how they compare to their smaller, less dense Vie-Long brothers. Call me crazy, but if feasible I'd love to reknot my D3 best with an Epsilon knot. The handles are very similarly sized. You never know. It might work in the hands of a skilled craftsman. Just can't decide, 2 or 3 band; each one is my favorite every time I use it. Must look into this. Or,,, what about a smaller V-L knot? It certainly would be less expensive, and less of a problem retrofitting it to the Duke. But if it's not the same fur, idk... (Claus, a little advice, please?)

Hector, if you try an Epsilon you'd really like it   Sisi. They're very densely packed. The 3 band, in particular. They excel in density, backbone, flow through and softness of tips. I'd own one of each if they offered them with fan knots.

7 2,159
 03-29-2016, 05:43 PM
User Info
(03-29-2016, 05:04 PM)chazt Wrote: This conversation is interesting to me. I've recently discovered the beauty of the Epsilon knots, and have wondered how they compare to their smaller, less dense Vie-Long brothers. Call me crazy, but if feasible I'd love to reknot my D3 best with an Epsilon knot. The handles are very similarly sized. You never know. It might work in the hands of a skilled craftsman. Just can't decide, 2 or 3 band; each one is my favorite every time I use it. Must look into this. Or,,, what about a smaller V-L knot? It certainly would be less expensive, and less of a problem retrofitting it to the Duke. But if it's not the same fur, idk... (Claus, a little advice, please?)

Hector, if you try an Epsilon you'd really like it   Sisi. They're very densely packed. The 3 band, in particular. They excel in density, backbone, flow through and softness of tips. I'd own one of each if they offered them with fan knots.

Sorry, can't help you reagarding reknotting, you have to talk to experts like Rudy Vey (a member here)

But a Duke 3 has a 23 mm knot, and an Epsilon a 27 mm knot, so it will be very difficult if not impossible to fit such a large knot into the Duke 3 handle.

24 5,971
 03-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I understand. I neglected to add that the present knot in the Duke is 24mm. I thought bumping it up 3mm would be doable. What are your thoughts on other 2band V-L knots - i.e., those used in other models not 75 anniversary?

7 2,159
 03-29-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
(03-29-2016, 05:04 PM)chazt Wrote: This conversation is interesting to me. I've recently discovered the beauty of the Epsilon knots, and have wondered how they compare to their smaller, less dense Vie-Long brothers. Call me crazy, but if feasible I'd love to reknot my D3 best with an Epsilon knot. The handles are very similarly sized. You never know. It might work in the hands of a skilled craftsman. Just can't decide, 2 or 3 band; each one is my favorite every time I use it. Must look into this. Or,,, what about a smaller V-L knot? It certainly would be less expensive, and less of a problem retrofitting it to the Duke. But if it's not the same fur, idk... (Claus, a little advice, please?)

Thanks for the recommendation.  I may pick one up next time I go to Spain.  I'll give me an excuse to shop around, lol....

One think I really like about the Aniversario version is the bulb. It is such a perfect bulb IMO.

61 3,796
 04-01-2016, 12:26 PM
User Info
In bloom after today's shave:

[Image: ix7vtSo.jpg]

1 255
 04-01-2016, 04:39 PM
User Info
Now, seeing your brush, and hearing your impressions of the hair/knot, it may not be the same used in the current Epsilon 2-Bands, which don't seem to have the attributes you have mentioned regarding this one.

83 21,081
 04-28-2016, 07:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I emailed G&C about a month ago enquiring if the 2 band hair in the smaller V-L knots, specifically the 'Amphora' model, (despite the similar catalog descriptions) is the same as the fur in the Epsilon knots. Fwiw, as I remember, the description of the hair types is quite similar for the Amphora and 75th Anniversary models. The reply was somewhat vague and non-committal (lost in translation, perhaps?), but I got the distinct impression that the hair in Epsilon brushes is indeed different from that in the smaller 2band V-L brushes.

7 2,159