03-28-2016, 08:04 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
A couple of days ago, I decided to shave with some products I haven't used for a long time. All of them are inexpensive and widely available, at least in Europe. The shave was fantastic. No difference at all in performance with some other expensive products. The result was the same. So was the pleasure. Lately, I use more artisan than mass products, but since my last shave with these, I really have to put them in my rotation. Of course, I enjoy shaving with my iKons, Mongoose, Nuavias and LPLs, but with the cheap Palmolive along with a  cheap Omega boar I had a very enjoyable shave. The Mennen was great too. You don't need to break the bank to enjoy a shave. This is something I usually say to all my friends that I introduce to wet shaving.

[Image: 20160326_213817_zpsm7jwk5h2.jpg]

49 1,999
 03-28-2016, 08:51 AM
User Info
Nick, good to hear you have a good shave with these items. Thumbsup

83 21,077
 03-28-2016, 08:58 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-28-2016, 08:51 AM)celestino Wrote: Nick, good to hear you have a good shave with these items. Thumbsup

Thank you, Celestino! The Palmolive cream and the Mennen were two of the first products I bought when I joined wet shaving three years ago.

49 1,999
 03-28-2016, 09:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I as well like to go cheap once in awhile. It's really more like my father and grandfather would've done. I have Palmolive, although mine's in a green tube, Old Spice, and a few other creams and soaps, an old, little Rubberset brush with it's original badger knot and a couple of little and big boars. Of course all my razors are vintage, three are heirloom, and with a Pinaud Clubman finale it ends up being pretty consistent with the aforementioned idea. Coincidentally I've been thinking to myself that that's where I'll end up someday.

7 2,327
 03-28-2016, 11:25 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-28-2016, 09:19 AM)Mouser Wrote: I as well like to go cheap once in awhile. It's really more like my father and grandfather would've done. I have Palmolive, although mine's in a green tube, Old Spice, and a few other creams and soaps, an old, little Rubberset brush with it's original badger knot and a couple of little and big boars. Of course all my razors are vintage, three are heirloom, and with a Pinaud Clubman finale it ends up being pretty consistent with the aforementioned idea. Coincidentally I've been thinking to myself that that's where I'll end up someday.

Mine is in a red tube, because it's the Italian version. It's widely available in my country and costs only 1,4 euros! It's exactly the same product with the one in the green tube, they have the same ingredients.

I agree with you, probably I'll end up using cheap and good performing products too, when I finish all the expensive products I have.

49 1,999
 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Give me a puck of Williams, an old boar brush, some Barbasol Brisk and a beat up old Tech, and I'll show you a fantastic shave.

2 1,683
 03-28-2016, 12:31 PM
User Info
I can have an absolutely wonderful shave with my Yuma potmetal razor, my No7 'horse hair' brush, and a stick of Arko; total outlay including a sleeve or two of blades would be about 10USD. A lot of the enjoyment is in the mindset and mental gymnastics Tongue

That said, I enjoy the rotations of my razors, brushes and soaps way too much to stay cheap all the time Wink

3 4,501
 03-28-2016, 12:34 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I can get drunk on Budwieser or Lagavulin. I hold that getting there is part of the fun.

2 3,171
 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM
User Info
(03-28-2016, 12:34 PM)kav Wrote: I can get drunk on Budwieser or Lagavulin. I hold that getting there is part of the fun.
No argument here.  Signs011

39 3,919
 03-28-2016, 01:30 PM
User Info
Greek fellow, now you are shaving the way that I usually shave.

1 442
 03-28-2016, 02:03 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I think the OP has a good point on how well inexpensive shave products work. Personally I find I get a great shave using an Omega 10066 boar brush, a stick of Arko to face lather with and a Gillette Fat Boy cranked to 9. I could spend a lot more on a brush, soap and razor, which I have done, but the gain in doing so has been minimal as far as the end result goes.

I think beginners get the idea that you can buy your way to a better shave by throwing money at the gear. If you can't get it done with good solid basics spending the extra money won't help.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
I completely agree, gear don't need to be expensive to be effective.  Very nice thread.  I was making this same friendly argument elsewhere and, well.......I posted this simple and effective kit.[Image: l0SoVpM.jpg]

61 3,796
 03-28-2016, 02:57 PM
User Info
Enjoyed the post.

3 145
 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM
User Info
(03-28-2016, 02:03 PM)BobH Wrote: I think beginners get the idea that you can buy your way to a better shave by throwing money at the gear. If you can't get it done with good solid basics spending the extra money won't help.

Signs011

3 4,501
 03-28-2016, 08:22 PM
User Info
Agree 100%.  I started with a Muhle 89, omega boar brush and Proraso Red.  Still get great shaves and I could live with this set up if I had to!

11 973
 03-28-2016, 08:41 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
If it gives a good shave, it's not "cheap." Today my least expensive but excellent shave is with Provence Sante, as a puck for $10 or less will give one a few months worth of excellent shaves. I have a terrific vintage straight that I picked up at swap meet for less than $10 that will give a lifetime's worth of shaves, and a few boar brushes that do an excellent job.

38 5,111
 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(03-28-2016, 08:41 PM)evnpar Wrote: If it gives a good shave, it's not "cheap." Today my least expensive but excellent shave is with Provence Sante, as a puck for $10 or less will give one a few months worth of excellent shaves. I have a terrific vintage straight that I picked up at swap meet for less than $10 that will give a lifetime's worth of shaves, and a few boar brushes that do an excellent job.

Bravo.
I have several vintage straights, the most expensive of which I paid $25 or so for. Many of them cost much  less, between $1 and $8. Any one of them would shave me effortlessly and quite wonderfully for the rest of my life, including the one I paid $1 for.
I have some nice badgers, but my Semogue boars would work quite well if I didn't. And as you've already stated, there are a lot of great performing soaps that won't put much of a dent in the wallet.
Will you find me eschewing my badgers or some of my more expensive products in favor of a minimalist set up with lesser priced gear? Nope. But I won't be tossing the inexpensive stuff any time soon, either. There is room for them all in my den, and I thoroughly enjoy every bit of it. If I don't, I don't keep it around. Price doesn't enter into that decision, either.

2 1,683
 03-29-2016, 12:41 AM
User Info
A very good article. I was beginning to think I was missing a lot , by not going for high end soaps /brushes , but actually realise that the marketplace has expanded as people these days seem to have more disposable income . The Phrase "Keeping up with the Jones" springs to mind.

0 277
 03-29-2016, 03:36 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes those Joneses are a hard bunch to follow. You see a lot of that in the SOTD photos on forums. 

Ingram, Proraso or even Haslinger if ordered in bulk, a Merkur Progress/Astra combo and a good boar or these wonderful new synthetics will give as fine a shave as anything made today.

42 1,041
 03-29-2016, 06:05 AM
User Info
(03-29-2016, 03:36 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Yes those Joneses are a hard bunch to follow. You see a lot of that in the SOTD photos on forums. 

Ingram, Proraso or even Haslinger if ordered in bulk, a Merkur Progress/Astra combo and a good boar or these wonderful new synthetics will give as fine a shave as anything made today.

Whatever that means.

61 3,796