03-29-2016, 04:40 AM
User Info
I am considering purchasing The Golden Nib High Mountain White Badger Hair Knot. I plan to make a homemade brush handle using Alaskan Diamond Wood and want a very nice knot to set in to the handle.

Your comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks much......Ed

21 751
 03-29-2016, 05:20 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Depending on the feel you want which will equate to the size and loft. I have a 24 set at 52. and a 24 by 50. The 24 x 52 has a soft feel with very little scritch with moderate backbone which backbone is in between the Nibs 3 band and finest. The 24 by 50 because it has a drop lower loft has slightly more backbone.

Nibs hmw is a nice knot but at this stage with the variety of knots on the market it is in my opinion a little over priced

50 412
 03-29-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
(03-29-2016, 04:40 AM)LookingGlass Wrote: I am considering purchasing The Golden Nib High Mountain White Badger Hair Knot. I plan to make a homemade brush handle using Alaskan Diamond Wood and want a very nice knot to set in to the handle.

Thanks much......Ed
I don't know enough about brushes and knots to feel competent to have an opinion on them, but I do know something about Diamond Willow, which does grow in Alaska.  
In years gone by I have had a walking stick and a rustic chair made from it.  The diamond pattern is caused by harsh weather conditions, 
but it is a willow, which is a soft wood that rots easily.  It is beautiful but not durable, and needs a protective varnish-like coating to preserve it, and it must be kept dry.  
Also, the same willows grown in less harsh conditions will not develop the characteristic diamond patterns which are valued. 
I hope you find some of that information useful.  Good luck.

Roy

10 175
 03-29-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
(03-29-2016, 10:19 AM)Roy Otto Yor Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 04:40 AM)LookingGlass Wrote: I am considering purchasing The Golden Nib High Mountain White Badger Hair Knot. I plan to make a homemade brush handle using Alaskan Diamond Wood and want a very nice knot to set in to the handle.

Thanks much......Ed
I don't know enough about brushes and knots to feel competent to have an opinion on them, but I do know something about Diamond Willow, which does grow in Alaska.  
In years gone by I have had a walking stick and a rustic chair made from it.  The diamond pattern is caused by harsh weather conditions, 
but it is a willow, which is a soft wood that rots easily.  It is beautiful but not durable, and needs a protective varnish-like coating to preserve it, and it must be kept dry.  
Also, the same willows grown in less harsh conditions will not develop the characteristic diamond patterns which are valued. 
I hope you find some of that information useful.  Good luck.

Roy
Thanks for the info on the willow.

Ed

21 751
 03-29-2016, 11:33 PM
User Info
I think the most serviceable knot they sell is the 2 band finest....if you get one with the soft tips and no scritch...ask them for it. Cheap knot relatively speaking and it is the best knot in my group of shaving brushes that are at about 60 in number and are made up of Paladin, M and L, Simpson, Shavemac, Thater and a bunch of vintage handles re knotted. They are super comfortable, no scritich, good backbone and inexpensive. Always know I am shaving with one because of performance. Not floppy like some of their better badgers.

51 315
 03-30-2016, 03:04 AM
User Info
(03-29-2016, 11:33 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: I think the most serviceable knot they sell is the 2 band finest....

I agree with this 100%. I've had brushes from boar to Rooney Finest and the only brush I have now is a TGN finest (not even the extra-stuffed version). It can handle anything easily.

84 1,505
 03-30-2016, 09:12 PM
User Info
+1 on TGN Finest. When you strike gold with this knot, they can be truly top-shelf with high density, soft tips (often hooked), and flow. They can be so good you might question spending many multiples more for "brand names."

1 255
 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM
User Info
I have always thought about this.  I am looking at these knots as well.  I do not, however know where to start and what to pick...  Too many options I think.  I currently bowl lather with a horse brush and would like something quite soft and luxurious.  I keep gravitating towards the super silvertip.

0 134
 03-31-2016, 11:25 AM
User Info
My daily brush is a GN siliver tip and it has been great.

0 94
 03-31-2016, 12:30 PM
User Info
Does anyone know why the loft for a lot of the 25/26mm knots on the golden nib are 65mm?

0 134