03-29-2016, 10:35 AM
User Info
Hey Guys! 
I was wondering, if you guys have tried many Russian blades.
I have seen some people say that Voskhods are great, and other that Rapiras are, and other people say that they are not sharp enough, or not very good on many razors, and so on, knowing there are as many Russian blades as almost any other blades, (and at their price point) what are the top Russian blades out there?

0 25
 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
The top Russian made blades are the Astras, at least for me.

49 2,016
 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
User Info
You might want to have a look at this thread: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40312

Perma-Sharp is my go-to blade for my Gillette Old Type by the way; it performs admirably in that razor.

3 4,666
 03-29-2016, 10:56 AM
User Info
Picked up some Russian GSB and they are amazing blades. Lasts many shaves per blade.

31 739
 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
POLSILVERS

2 3,171
 03-29-2016, 12:49 PM
User Info
All my blades are Russian.  Astra's SP, Voskhod, Lamas and Rapira Swedish Supersteel.  I enjoy them all.

0 79
 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
User Info
I've tried a good number of them, and the Gillette Rubie are my favorites.

Nacet are quite good and cheaper. GSBs I liked. Voskhod not as much.

9 112
 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM
User Info
Iridium Supers for me

18 786
 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM
User Info
Get a sampler and try for yourself Smile 
After all, they are out there because someone buys them.

8 1,209
 03-29-2016, 03:03 PM
User Info
Voskhod is a very nice blade, and I agree on the Astra as well. I've been shaving with Voskhod for the last week and was just thinking this morning what a fine blade it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 25
 03-29-2016, 10:01 PM
User Info
Four of my top five blades are Russian. If you look at Rapira keep in mind that they all shave differently so a sampler is in order before buying a few hundred from auction sites.

6 799
 03-30-2016, 02:13 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-29-2016, 10:35 AM)EdZeppe Wrote: I was wondering, if you guys have tried many Russian blades.
I have seen some people say that Voskhods are great, and other that Rapiras are, and other people say that they are not sharp enough, or not very good on many razors, and so on, knowing there are as many Russian blades as almost any other blades, (and at their price point) what are the top Russian blades out there?

In my experience (YMMV), other than the two Japanese blades (KAI and Feather), all of the best blades are Russian.  That is, I found the Gillette Platinum/* to be the third best blade that I have tried, trailing the KAI and Feather blades. And the Rapira Swedish Supersteel is easily the best really cheap blade that I ever have used.

/* Note on Gillette Platinum:
There are multiple versions of Gillette blades with the word Platinum on the label.
Gillette 7 o'clock “Super Platinum” blades (made in India) differ from “Gillette Platinum” blades.  
I bought from a very major on-line vendor a pack of  “Gillette Platinum” blades
that had in the upper right corner of the box some Arabic writing; but
inside the box in two different places was written (only in English, and in neither Arabic nor Cyrillic)
“Made in Russia.”
But on further inspection, it seemed apparent to my eyes that the blades were counterfeits:
the printing on the box was not crisp; the wax dots on the blades were not centered, vertically or horizontally.
Rarely seen in the wild, “White Box” Gillette Platinum blades also exist.
Non-counterfeit Gillette Platinum and white box Gillette Platinum blades are made in Russia.

In common with many others, I have found that Polsilver blades are very good, better than the also good Gillette Silver Blue blades.  I have never succeeded in getting any Astra blade to a third shave, and the first two shaves on those Astras were nothing special.  Other Russian blades, including Rapira Supersteels and Gillette Platinums and Polsilvers, regularly give me six shaves per blade.

1 1,109
 03-30-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
On all the long-running polls I've seen that ask about favorite blades, more votes go to those brands that come from the St. Petersburg PPI factory than from any other single manufacturer in the world.  Not surprising when Gillette Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Blue, Yellow, some Green, Gillette Platinum, Permasharp, Polsilver, Astra, Nacet, and Sputnik all come from there.  Sometimes Feather will beat out any one single brand, but aggregating all the brands I've listed above makes PPI the dominant force in popular wet shaving.

7 84
 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Polailver and Rapira Platinums work for me.  Voskhod, Ladas, and Rapira Swedish are not sharp enough for me. I just tried a Personna lab (USA) for the first time in a while today and it is as good as any blade I've tried.

3 584
 03-30-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
I love the Astra Plats in all of my razors and the Voskhods are razors to swear by.

I just loaded a Polsilver Super Iridium, and my God... just amazing. Buttery smooth in my slant and my standard

0 517
 03-30-2016, 05:31 PM
User Info
Russian blades I've tried (Astra, Polsilver, Rapira) were all pretty good. I like Feathers and Lab Blues a bit more though. They're a touch sharper, which my skin seems to like. I ran out long ago, but I remember the old (Russian) Gillette Platinum blues being excellent.

It's funny... Some of the "obsolete" technology we've discarded but are rediscovering in the US, like DE razors and vacuum tubes, were never discarded in Eastern Europe and Asia...

0 1,097
 03-30-2016, 07:42 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-30-2016, 06:06 AM)cournot Wrote: On all the long-running polls I've seen that ask about favorite blades, more votes go to those brands that come from the St. Petersburg PPI factory than from any other single manufacturer in the world.  Not surprising when Gillette Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Blue, Yellow, some Green, Gillette Platinum, Permasharp, Polsilver, Astra, Nacet, and Sputnik all come from there.  Sometimes Feather will beat out any one single brand, but aggregating all the brands I've listed above makes PPI the dominant force in popular wet shaving.

Yes:  indisputably, the only challenger to Feather as the sharpest DE blade in the world is KAI, and the only DE blade that ever is alleged to be sharper than a KAI — and certainly not without dispute — is Feather.  But sharpness — per se  — is not an unalloyed blessing:   some men legitimately prefer a less sharp blade.  The Feather, if you read the reviews, is razor dependent:  users of the Mühle R41 are split on the matter of whether the Feather is a boon or a curse in that razor.  The KAI, made of a heavier gauge of steel, appears to be less razor dependent than the Feather, and may well be as sharp as the Feather, or even more sharp.

But setting the two Japanese blades aside, for those who prefer a less-sharp blade alternative, the products of PPI in St. Petersburg and of Mostochlegmash JSC in Moscow (Ladas, Voshkod, Rapira, etc.) undoubtedly are at the very top of the heap.

1 1,109
 03-30-2016, 08:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
1974 Kodiak we seized the Russain trawler Armachurniki and it was tied up at the base. I walked down and spoke my limited Russian to the crew as a bewildered SP tried to figure out if it was permitted. They were out of cigarettes. I went to our PX and bought two cases of camels; returned and tossed them over when the SP left to use the head.
Yes, a real bright lad that one. They tossed back a pocket Russain SLR camera with a chorus of spasibos.
I took that camera everywhere. I found myself as extra observer on a H52 helicopter looking for some lost fishermen. I spotted them on their overturned boat in survival suits.
We began lifting them in the Stokes Litter and I took a series of photos along with the copilot ( Nikon). We were hit by a severe gust of wind and both cameras went flying, luckily back into the hull. rescue completed we returned to base and sent both cameras in for repair and the film to be processed. Cameras came back: Nikon was destroyed and
all film useless. My photos were published in several journals. The camera came with a note "We couldn't fix the dent for fear of tweaking the body, but it works just fine- oh, and it is quiet possibly the filthiest camera we ever had to clean. Did you seriously use it like this'?
Those Russians builD tough useable gear, not as refined as Japanese or many others, but THEY WORK.

2 3,171
 03-31-2016, 07:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My favorite Russian blades are GSBs and 7:00 Yellows. I have many, many tucks of them. Many.

7 2,355
 04-06-2016, 09:34 AM
User Info
I like Astras, Polsilvers, Rapira Platinums, and Voskhods.

0 94