03-29-2016, 01:42 PM
User Info
Got a few alcohol based AS I might want to part with.  What is the best way to ship alcohol based products?

13 496
 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM
User Info
CONUS just needs to be packaged with care, and declared (at the shipping point) that it contains alcohol. Nothing too special really. 
OCONUS will be problematic (blocked) if it contains alcohol.

28 1,098
 03-29-2016, 02:10 PM
User Info
Thank you, my friend.

13 496
 03-29-2016, 07:27 PM
User Info
Sure thing!

28 1,098
 03-29-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
I believe that according to USPS regulations, the following applies.
Glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces must be triple-packaged according to the following requirements:
1. Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.
2. Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container (secondary container), such as a can or plastic bag.
3. Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.

And mark the outside of the parcel to indicate the contents.
I don't think the regulations specifically state that an alcohol-based aftershave should ship by surface transport rather than air, but I have had USPS counter clerks insist upon that, saying that they need to be treated just as perfumes would be.

207 12,266
 03-30-2016, 02:47 AM
User Info
I've shipped several aftershaves via USPS and was told they could not be shipped by Priority Mail and had to go ground .. now with that said i have also received several aftershaves that have arrived via Priority Mail so in those cases i am guessing the sender checked "NO" when asked if there was anything in the package liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous

27 231
 04-03-2016, 11:13 PM
User Info
Everyone has answered for you, but I wanted to mention one other thing. If the USPS insists on ground-only shipping, as sometimes happens, it's expensive relative to Priority and First Class. I know that's weird, but it was my experience. Keep it in mind if you are selling and want to not shortchange yourself.

I suspect that the reason we sometimes get Priority Mail w/ aftershaves is if they are marked liquid, but not alcohol. Can't say for sure.

6 752
 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
The one time I did this, I remember the marking being important: "Consumer Commodity ORM-D".

The Postal Service worker I spoke to first didn't know the regs and said I couldn't ship the product. I produced a printout that I'd brought with me and asked to speak to a manager.
The manager knew her stuff but remarked that it was the first time she'd handled such a request.

8 917
 04-04-2016, 05:47 PM
User Info
I wanted to ship two bottles of wine to a friend within CONUS. I packed the bottles very well (expensive wines) and was perfectly honest with the USPS counter person. She said it was illegal to ship alcohol via USPS, and should take it to United Parcel or FedEx.

I simply went home and returned to the same Post Office next day. When asked, I told this clerk that the package contained bottled water, and was able to ship the stuff without further problems. I don't think USPS trains their clerks very well.

5 395