03-29-2016, 11:56 PM
User Info
There has been a lot of interest recently in the OneBlade razor. The OneBlade was built specifically to natively take the spineless Feather FHS SE blade. This is an uncommonly used blade, and many people, looking both for diversity in blade choice, and wishing to use the more common spined GEM PTFE SE blade have sought to use this later blade in their OneBlade either as their blade of choice or to add some diversity. Using the GEM has come with mixed results, as the spine must first be removed (see below), but still does not fit the razor perfectly. The despined GEM will not 'lock in' to the OneBlade as the Feather does, as the cutouts on the blade corners match up differently, and the internal blade locks/nubs in the OneBlade push against the GEM blade causing it to bend or 'smile' slightly. This is not an ideal situation in which to use the GEM blade, as the razor was not built for the purpose of putting strain on it's internal locks. Neither is a bent blade ideal. Some, very few users have even reported that the GEM begins to come out of place during the shave, as it is not locked in. We aim to go further in this thread by modifying the GEM to lock in and lay flat, fitting the OneBlade just as well as the Feather.

The purpose of this thread, therefore, is to show and share how a SE GEM blade may be modified to perfectly fit and lock into the OneBlade in a manner that is best for both the razor and the blade. Using the method and tools shown below is safe for you and your razor, and takes a matter of seconds to complete from start to finish. (This is meant to be a reference thread, and if others have methods or tools better even than what I'm showing, please feel free to share.)

De-spining the GEM

This is the most well known part of the modification, but it is essential to be reviewed, as it comes first in the process, and nothing else can be done without removing the GEM spine.

The tool required here is a 'nipper' or pair of pliers (the nipper works best), which should be clamped down at, or just above, the line in the spine. It is also recommended that the cardboard wrapping be left on the blade while removing the spine for safety. See here:

[Image: hRQxLWu.jpg]

While the upper spine is clamped down with the nipper, use your thumb and index finger on your free hand to rock the blade to and fro against the spine. This loosens the spine, and you can then pull the spine right off. See an older video on this below:

Clipping the GEM

This part is a little more difficult to explain, but is just as easy in practice. First, you should acquire a 'hand nibbler'. I found mine on Amazon under the title "Nickel Plated Nibbling Tool", and it looks like this:

[Image: xCP5XHC.jpg]

For a point of reference here is a picture of a clipped GEM (left) next to a Feather (right):

[Image: zqiZtlx.jpg]

The important thing to notice from this picture, is that the GEM should not be clipped any lower than what we see cut out on the Feather. It can be clipped higher (the blunt side of the blade) but not lower (towards the sharp end of the blade). The lower part of the Feather cutout here just about exactly lines up with where we have clipped the GEM. Seeing this is important to realize before the tool is used.

Now, let's look at the blade position in the tool as it's being clipped:

[Image: 8XmNoik.jpg]

[Image: jFD7LhE.jpg]

As we see here, it is essential to clip the GEM just above it's own middle cutout. Do not widen the GEM middle cutout, but clip above it. You will see below, a correctly clipped GEM next to an un-clipped GEM. This should also help to tell you where you should be clipping.

[Image: WEvxzyI.jpg]

A GEM half modified:

[Image: VxPdrDr.jpg]

A GEM fully modified:

[Image: EPMhHh4.jpg]

A fully modified GEM next to an un-clipped GEM:

[Image: GnvcbCS.jpg]

All of this may seem much more complicated than it really is. I have just tried to add as much detail as possible. Once you get it right the first time, a full modification from de-spining to clipping should take around 10-15 seconds, and you will know exactly what you are doing without further reference. Feel free to ask questions for clarifications, or add your own methods or tools to this thread if you've found something you like better.

At last, take the modified GEM, and slip it into your OneBlade with the satisfying "click" that tells you you're locked and loaded. Happy shaves all!  Thumbsup

2 308
 03-30-2016, 12:29 AM
User Info
Thanks for doing this. Wonderful instructions!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

15 483
 03-30-2016, 03:14 AM
User Info
Thanks Len. Just ordered the nibbling tool for myself.

31 7,977
 03-30-2016, 03:18 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great Post Len! Thanks for sharing the information.

57 3,853
 03-30-2016, 07:11 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Just what the Doctor ordered.  Thanks Len!

46 1,819
 03-30-2016, 07:53 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
simple instructions with photos, great post, thanks, just ordered one

42 338
 03-30-2016, 09:26 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You can also just cut the corners with a good quality wire cutter...really no 'special' tool needed...at any rate that is what I do ...never had any problem....so like everything there is easy and really easy... Lightbulb...(perhaps my choice of pliers is what makes this so easy...I use End cutting pliers or nippers )

6 1,960
 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(03-30-2016, 09:26 AM)Harvey Wrote: You can also just cut the corners with a decent wire cutter...really no 'special' tool needed...at any rate that is what i do ...never had any problem....so like everything there is easy and really easy... Lightbulb
If that works for you, great.  Nearly every time I use my Snap-On cutters, the blade splits at an odd angle.  The steel is just too brittle to use straight cutters, a nibbler solves this problem by cutting simultaneously in two axis.

46 1,819
 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
User Info
Thanks Len..very informative and thorough.

Much appreciated.

Just need to by a nipping tool in the uk.

1 197
 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks, Len.
I must say though .. the process seems cumbersome and potentially dangerous to me.
I'm content with using the Feather FHS blades meant for this fine razor; once or twice and then toss. They shine in this way.
In the big scheme of things, blades are not price prohibitive enough to warrant such meddling; for me.

102 18,080
 03-30-2016, 04:07 PM
User Info
Potentially dangerous? Time for an electric razor then perhaps, Ravi. These razor blades are pretty sharp to have near your face. Tongue

I actually enjoyed shave #15 on my current GEM better than a fresh FHS blade. Different strokes for different folks.

31 7,977
 03-30-2016, 04:10 PM
User Info
I plan on doing it just for fun. I don't mind tossing the Feather HS blades after a few shaves but I'll give this a try. Just one more fun thing for the hobby.

5 1,449
 03-30-2016, 04:42 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
'Dangerous' in the sense of potentially damaging the razor and/or oneself, and voiding any sort of manufacturer warranty.
In my opinion, not worth the hassle.

102 18,080
 03-30-2016, 04:47 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 03:47 PM)Agravic Wrote: Thanks, Len.
I must say though .. the process seems cumbersome and potentially dangerous to me.
I'm content with using the Feather FHS blades meant for this fine razor; once or twice and then toss. They shine in this way.
In the big scheme of things, blades are not price prohibitive enough to warrant such meddling; for me.

Number_one

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 04:50 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 04:07 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Potentially dangerous? Time for an electric razor then perhaps, Ravi. These razor blades are pretty sharp to have near your face. Tongue

I actually enjoyed shave #15 on my current GEM better than a fresh FHS blade. Different strokes for different folks.

15 shaves on a blade?  Wow!  I only use a blade twice and a OneBlade Feather once.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
OneBlade knows of my GEM usage and they've never mentioned anything about it voiding a warranty. Also, I doubt that a blade could damage the razor in anyway with how we are using them. Damaging oneself, well then if that is so much of a concern then perhaps we shouldn't drive and definitely shouldn't think too much about the air we breathe and water we drink. 

If the FHS blade works well and you're happy then great. This isn't worth it for you. For me, this takes the OneBlade to an entirely different level. Now it will be unbeatable until someone finally gets a razor to market that utilizes an unmodified GEM blade with a spine.

31 7,977
 03-30-2016, 04:56 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 04:50 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 04:07 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Potentially dangerous? Time for an electric razor then perhaps, Ravi. These razor blades are pretty sharp to have near your face. Tongue

15 shaves on a blade?  Wow!  I only use a blade twice and a OneBlade Feather once.

Yes Hector. In my vintage SEs I could get 30+ shaves from a single GEM PTFE blade. In my Mongoose I can get 20+ from a Feather Professional blade. There is something magical about a well worn in SE blade that I think many people are missing out on. I find them to be smooth, forgiving, and still extremely efficient.

31 7,977
 03-30-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
Lol, comparing a blade to driving and the air we breath?  Take it away Marty!

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 04:56 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Yes Hector. In my vintage SEs I could get 30+ shaves from a single GEM PTFE blade. In my Mongoose I can get 20+ from a Feather Professional blade. There is something magical about a well worn in SE blade that I think many people are missing out on. I find them to be smooth, forgiving, and still extremely efficient.
More power to you indeed.  I just have too many blades to sit on them.  I love the feel of a fresh blade.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 05:01 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 04:56 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Wow! You get more shaves from a GEM than a Feather AC blade. That is something.

5 1,449