03-30-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 04:57 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Lol, comparing a blade to driving and the air we breath?  Take it away Marty!

I don't understand your comment. Perhaps you don't understand my comparison. Saying that it's dangerous to modify a blade and avoiding it out of fear is akin to not driving because there is a chance of getting in a wreck. At least with modifying a blade the outcome is all up to me. With driving there are other people out there who can make a poor decision and kill you.

If we were to over analyze everything for how it could be harmful then we'd never accomplish anything. Paralysis by analysis.

31 8,057
 03-30-2016, 05:23 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 05:20 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 04:57 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Lol, comparing a blade to driving and the air we breath?  Take it away Marty!

I don't understand your comment. Perhaps you don't understand my comparison. Saying that it's dangerous to modify a blade and avoiding it out of fear is akin to not driving because there is a chance of getting in a wreck. At least with modifying a blade the outcome is all up to me. With driving there are other people out there who can make a poor decision and kill you.

I understood the analogy, I just thought it was out on left field.  Maybe because this is not that important to me, so comparing a blade to life or death situations is kind of extreme to me.  But I get what you are trying to say.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 05:23 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:20 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

I understood the analogy, I just thought it was out on left field.  Maybe because this is not that important to me, so comparing a blade to life or death situations is kind of extreme to me.  But I get what you are trying to say.

There are a lot of arguments that seem sound until you take them through their natural progression. I wasn't comparing shaving to life and death, but showing how we can be fearful of one thing as it is convenient and not fearful of something potentially much more dangerous also out of convenience.

31 8,057
 03-30-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 05:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:23 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:20 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't understand your comment. Perhaps you don't understand my comparison. Saying that it's dangerous to modify a blade and avoiding it out of fear is akin to not driving because there is a chance of getting in a wreck. At least with modifying a blade the outcome is all up to me. With driving there are other people out there who can make a poor decision and kill you.

There are a lot of arguments that seem sound until you take them through their natural progression. I wasn't comparing shaving to life and death, but showing how we can be fearful of one thing as it is convenient and not fearful of something potentially much more dangerous also out of convenience.
I am not fearful about it, I just don't care to do it when I have so many blades to use with the OneBlade and my Micromatic.  I enjoy both on their own merits.  I think is just a difference of opinion, nothing wrong with that.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 05:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am also of the camp of not wanting to mess with a blade any more than absolutely necessary. You are just asking for it.  The risk far outweighs the potential reward. YMMV.

To your driving analogy...I will not modify my car either. Some people are fine with nitro boosters. I am not. Tongue

[Image: bUCuMCy.jpg]

46 18,350
 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 05:34 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:23 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I understood the analogy, I just thought it was out on left field.  Maybe because this is not that important to me, so comparing a blade to life or death situations is kind of extreme to me.  But I get what you are trying to say.

I am not fearful about it, I just don't care to do it when I have so many blades to use with the OneBlade and my Micromatic.  I enjoy both on their own merits.  I think is just a difference of opinion, nothing wrong with that.

I think what Brian is trying to say is that, to fear modifying a blade because you might hurt yourself is foolish when you think about driving on a busy highway. Much more dangerous.

5 1,537
 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 05:54 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:34 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: There are a lot of arguments that seem sound until you take them through their natural progression. I wasn't comparing shaving to life and death, but showing how we can be fearful of one thing as it is convenient and not fearful of something potentially much more dangerous also out of convenience.

I think what Brian is trying to say is that, to fear modifying a blade because you might hurt yourself is foolish when you think about driving on a busy highway. Much more dangerous.
Again, who says that fear has anything to do with my opinion?  I'm a decorated combat veteran that almost gave my life for my country, fear of a simple procedure as this one is far from my radar.  Just saying!  I already said that I got what he was saying.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Fear?
No.
Convenience?
Yes.
My point is that the OneBlade shines with the blade that it was designed to use.  Kudos to those who choose to try modifying other blades to suit this razor; however I maintain that this is an unnecessarily cumbersome endeavor.

102 18,652
 03-30-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
Juggling act emoticon desperately needed Smile

I agree with Ravi, what Bryan has done by experimenting is great.  To me I just don't see the added value to my OneBlade.  And is nothing wrong with that.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
Unless other blades work better for that person. For you, sure, too cumbersome. For me, it's a no brainer & the OneBlade doesn't truly shine until it's loaded with a GEM (Gems are shiny). Before the OneBlade I preferred GEMs and I still do even after the OneBlade. YMMV is alive and well and I think we should be welcoming the possibility of another blade for this great razor rather than trying to make it sound like this is a dangerous and fearful thing to undertake.

31 8,057
 03-30-2016, 06:33 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 05:01 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 04:56 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 04:50 PM)hrfdez Wrote: 15 shaves on a blade?  Wow!  I only use a blade twice and a OneBlade Feather once.

Yes Hector. In my vintage SEs I could get 30+ shaves from a single GEM PTFE blade. In my Mongoose I can get 20+ from a Feather Professional blade. There is something magical about a well worn in SE blade that I think many people are missing out on. I find them to be smooth, forgiving, and still extremely efficient.

Wow! You get more shaves from a GEM than a Feather AC blade. That is something.

Yes, now that I'm back to using GEMs it's truly amazing how much I prefer these more robust blades. They have more metal behind the keen edge which I think helps it to cut better. I do believe that the Feather AC blades are sharper, but they lack the oomph behind the edge that the GEM blades have.

31 8,057
 03-30-2016, 06:33 PM
User Info
Agree my friend, but nobody is making it sound dangerous or fearful.  We are just sharing views on the benefits or lack there of.  Just sharing opinions, none are statements of fact.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
We must not be reading the same comments Hector. Winky

There has been some clarifications but this rather simple and easy modification is being made out to be cumbersome and potentially dangerous by those who I don't think have even attempted it.

While I'm sure they mean in comparison to simply sliding in a FHS blade and shaving, it still comes across as something more.

31 8,057
 03-30-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
Pancarta   Ok, I'll go in peace.

61 3,796
 03-30-2016, 07:26 PM
User Info
There is no more danger here than in handling and installing any other razor blade, and it is not cumbersome.... 15 seconds, tops, to perform the mod.

There also should be no fear in voiding the warranty. As I said elsewhere on that question:

"I don't see how voiding the warrenty could be possible, as the GEM blade modified in the manner above, fits the OneBlade exactly in the same way as the Feather blade. There would be absolutely no way to tell that a de-spined, clipped GEM was ever in your OneBlade rather than the Feather. The size of the two blades within the razor locks are exactly proportional to one another.

The warranty issue may be a concern if the GEM is not clipped, because there is the stress of a bent blade forcing tension against the internal razor locks/nubs. But this issue is resolved when the GEM is clipped in the manner above."

I created this thread to give OneBlade users more options and variety, and to give people that are overly partial towards GEM blades a reason to use this excellent razor.

All of that being said, I prefer the Feather blade. It is a great blade, and OneBlade absolutely made the right decision in going with the Feather as their default blade, IMHO. Ravi is correct in saying that the cost per blade usage, even factoring the short life of the Feather, is too marginal to make a difference in blade choice. Brian is incorrect about the GEM being any more thick in body (behing the edge) than the Feather. Rather, the Feather has a sharper, keener, smoother edge that degrades faster because of these qualities. Feather sacrificed longevity for sharpness and smoothness.

I will say more about these things on the GEM vs. Feather review thread, but I will say here that it has been rewarding to go through this experiment. I would never have attempted this if it weren't for the GEM fans being so vocal about their favorite blade. I learned something and got to try something different, even if I won't end up using very much what I have learned. But at least now I know for sure what's best for me. And for those that are curious or prefer the GEM, they now have safe and easy mod options.

2 308
 03-30-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
I have used tis razor for a month straight and I cannot decide whether I like the feather or gem better. I also shave my head with it,and for that I like the gem,but I can't decide which I like better for my face. I will continue to use both for now until I can decide. I am just going to de-spine the gem though as I like the smiling gem shave anyhow.

1 101
 03-30-2016, 09:26 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 07:26 PM)Len Wrote: There is no more danger here than in handling and installing any other razor blade, and it is not cumbersome.... 15 seconds, tops, to perform the mod.

There also should be no fear in voiding the warranty. As I said elsewhere on that question:

"I don't see how voiding the warrenty could be possible, as the GEM blade modified in the manner above, fits the OneBlade exactly in the same way as the Feather blade. There would be absolutely no way to tell that a de-spined, clipped GEM was ever in your OneBlade rather than the Feather. The size of the two blades within the razor locks are exactly proportional to one another.

The warranty issue may be a concern if the GEM is not clipped, because there is the stress of a bent blade forcing tension against the internal razor locks/nubs. But this issue is resolved when the GEM is clipped in the manner above."

I created this thread to give OneBlade users more options and variety, and to give people that are overly partial towards GEM blades a reason to use this excellent razor.

All of that being said, I prefer the Feather blade. It is a great blade, and OneBlade absolutely made the right decision in going with the Feather as their default blade, IMHO. Ravi is correct in saying that the cost per blade usage, even factoring the short life of the Feather, is too marginal to make a difference in blade choice. Brian is incorrect about the GEM being any more thick in body (behing the edge) than the Feather. Rather, the Feather has a sharper, keener, smoother edge that degrades faster because of these qualities. Feather sacrificed longevity for sharpness and smoothness.

I will say more about these things on the GEM vs. Feather review thread, but I will say here that it has been rewarding to go through this experiment. I would never have attempted this if it weren't for the GEM fans being so vocal about their favorite blade. I learned something and got to try something different, even if I won't end up using very much what I have learned. But at least now I know for sure what's best for me. And for those that are curious or prefer the GEM, they now have safe and easy mod options.

Brian was not comparing the GEM to the Feather HS blade in that statement you mention. He was comparing it to the Feather Artist Club blades that fit the Mongoose.

5 1,537
 03-30-2016, 09:49 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 09:26 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Brian was not comparing the GEM to the Feather HS blade in that statement you mention. He was comparing it to the Feather Artist Club blades that fit the Mongoose.

I missed that... but I'm even more confused now, because Feather AC blades are thicker than both GEM PTFE blades and the Feather FHS. The traditional width GEM's and Feather FHS blades that the OneBlade or vintage SE razors take, are actually the thinnest out of all possible SE blades. If blade thickness is your thing for SE's, AC blades or injectors are the way to go, and GEM's should rate last on your list. For me, GEM's and Feather's are good blades regardless of their thickness, or lack of it.

Feather FHS: 0.23 mm

GEM PTFE: 0.23 mm

Feather AC Pro: 0.254 mm

Feather AC Super Pro: 0.31 mm

Average modern injector blade: 0.25 mm

2 308
 03-31-2016, 03:18 AM
User Info
Not from top to bottom Len (one side to the other), but rather from front to back (sharp edge to dull edge).

31 8,057
 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM
User Info
I just tried nipping a blade using the method above with the same tool. The little piece that is left (behind the notch) was twisted and bent. I'd be afraid to put that in my nice razor. I'm not sure if this is really worth the trouble.
Maybe if I tried it again and moved the tool forward just a bit.

5 1,537