03-30-2016, 07:22 PM
User Info
I am back for my second DE razor. I lost my kit while traveling Sad and now looking for a new kit.

Which second razor should I buy ? 
Which Soap ?
Which brush ?

What will be the step up from my previous kit ?

I am looking at Gillette Slim from razor emporium, Futur & progress. Which one out of this ? or you have better option for me ?

This is what I had and I used it for more than a year. 

Edwin Jagger DE 89L Double Edge Safety Razor

Platinum Blade Sampler 16 Brands/101 Blades (Still have more than half left)

Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream (Really liked it, what is the step up from it now ?)

Semogue 1250 Premium Boar Bristle Shaving Brush Brush with Beech Wood Handle

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

0 22
 03-30-2016, 08:04 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-30-2016, 07:22 PM)shave0770 Wrote: I lost my kit while traveling Sad and now looking for a new kit.

Which second razor should I buy ? 
Which Soap ?
Which brush ?

This is what I had and I used it for more than a year. 

Edwin Jagger DE 89L Double Edge Safety Razor

An off-the-beaten-path suggestion:  The drop-dead gorgeous Bevel razor.  
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=23649&pid=410766#pid410766
[Image: 6TqGMnU.jpg]

Most of what you are likely to read about the Bevel if you do a web search is:  (1) the initial marketing campaign that required the buyer to subscribe to a plan that periodically shipped him shaving cream, etc., and (2) how using the Bevel might reduce the “razor bumps” suffered by many African-American men.  But the subscription no longer is mandatory, and the “razor bump advantage” always did apply equally to all DE razors, not just the Bevel, so it is irrelevant to the present discussion.  So now the razor can be evaluated on its own, apart from the distractions; and the price has come down, also.  Reasonably, the sponsors of this board do not welcome links to non-sponsor vendors posted here, but if you find yourself on the Target Stores site, look up product 50076325

(03-30-2016, 07:22 PM)shave0770 Wrote: Platinum Blade Sampler 16 Brands/101 Blades (Still have more than half left)

Then you do not need any blades immediately.  But, if you like Platinum blades, then you might do a search on Amazon for “white box” Gillette Platinum blades, alleged to be superior to the highly regarded blue box Gillette Platinum blades.

(03-30-2016, 07:22 PM)shave0770 Wrote: Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream (Really liked it, what is the step up from it now ?)

Look up the inexpensive-in-quantity Haslinger Schafmilch shaving soap at TVB Shaving (Slovenia) or (smaller quantities) at Smalllower (Chicago).

(03-30-2016, 07:22 PM)shave0770 Wrote: Semogue 1250 Premium Boar Bristle Shaving Brush Brush with Beech Wood Handle

Check out the Stirling Soap “Kong” synthetic brush, which is a genuine bargain.

0 1,050
 03-30-2016, 09:50 PM
User Info
Razor -- Your second razor should be a slant.  Merkur 37c, the new Fine Slant (Vintage Merkur "Bakelite" clone), Ikon #102 are all good examples.

Soap -- Barrister and Mann (Latha or White Label) 

Brush -- Stirling Kong or Maggard Plisson style Synth or Razorock Plisson style Synth

Blades -- Gillette Platinum or Silver Blue or Nacet

11 967
 03-30-2016, 10:07 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I would suggest assembling TWO kits; one for traveling and one for home. Phil has some very nice, and modestly priced housebrand razors or you could get a Parker for travel. But, if it works don't fix it, unless you have the magpie urge to try something new. My EJ is still a favoured razor among 4.

2 3,171
 03-31-2016, 02:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I own and can recommend that you look at and consider:

New razor: Merkur 42C; iKon Shavecraft 101

Vintage razor: Gillette Tech, Gillette Red Tip, GEM Featherweight, Schick Injector (the last 2 mentions will require that you purchase blades as your remaining DEs aren't compatible.

New badger brush: Semogue 2015HD; Simpson Duke 3.

Soap: if you enjoyed the P-Red buy it again. Or try something new. There are sooo many to try.

Also pick up a block of alum. It's a wonderful post-shave.

Have fun assembling your new kit!

And btw, welcome to the forum Smile

4 1,940
 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM
User Info
As for razors I would go with a Heavy Duty from Razorock.  I have been getting great shaves from it, and at $19.99 you can't get a better deal.  As for soaps I would go with either Barrister and Mann Latha, Italian Barber, or Razorock.  Finish it off with a Syn from Maggards.  None of these will break the bank or your heart if they get lost.

0 94
 03-31-2016, 11:56 AM
User Info
sounds like time for a budget number so I can better gauge the next purchase(s)

36 886
 03-31-2016, 12:41 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Slim
Maggard brush if you go cheap, Simpson Colonel X2 if you wanna step up to a good badger. The Maggard is a fantastic brush, though.
Assuming you're sticking to creams, Speick, or TOBS, or Cella, which IMO is more cream than soap.
If you really want to step up, try a harder soap. Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, TOBS Sandalwood hard puck, or La Savonniere du Moulin

2 1,683
 03-31-2016, 03:00 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 08:04 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: An off-the-beaten-path suggestion:  The drop-dead gorgeous Bevel razor.  

Most of what you are likely to read about the Bevel if you do a web search is:  (1) the initial marketing campaign that required the buyer to subscribe to a plan that periodically shipped him shaving cream, etc., and (2) how using the Bevel might reduce the “razor bumps” suffered by many African-American men.  But the subscription no longer is mandatory, and the “razor bump advantage” always did apply equally to all DE razors, not just the Bevel, so it is irrelevant to the present discussion.  So now the razor can be evaluated on its own, apart from the distractions; and the price has come down, also.  Reasonably, the sponsors of this board do not welcome links to non-sponsor vendors posted here, but if you find yourself on the Target Stores site, look up product 50076325[/font]

Then you do not need any blades immediately.  But, if you like Platinum blades, then you might do a search on Amazon for “white box” Gillette Platinum blades, alleged to be superior to the highly regarded blue box Gillette Platinum blades.

Look up the inexpensive-in-quantity Haslinger Schafmilch shaving soap at TVB Shaving (Slovenia) or (smaller quantities) at Smalllower (Chicago).

That is pretty cool looking razor. Is it better or par with Edwin Jagger DE 89L I had ?
Yeah, don't need the blades right away. Will look at those, I do have other gillette in my sample box.
Soap look good also looking at Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill and others
Brush looks god better or on par with the one I had ?

Again thanks for your reply.

0 22
 03-31-2016, 03:19 PM
User Info
(03-30-2016, 09:50 PM)surfshaver Wrote: Razor -- Your second razor should be a slant.  Merkur 37c, the new Fine Slant (Vintage Merkur "Bakelite" clone), Ikon #102 are all good examples.

Brush -- Stirling Kong or Maggard Plisson style Synth or Razorock Plisson style Synth

Still will be my first razor as I lost my previous one. I was looking at the Ikon when I bought EJ last time.
Where can I buy the soaps ?
A lot of option for brushes Smile Now which one should I buy..hmm

Thanks for your reply.

(03-30-2016, 10:07 PM)kav Wrote: I would suggest assembling TWO kits; one for traveling and one for home. Phil has some very nice, and modestly priced housebrand razors or you could get a Parker for travel. But, if it works don't fix it, unless you have the magpie urge to try something new. My EJ is still a favoured razor among 4.

Yeah will buy two this time Sad

I liked my EJ but wanted to try something different this time. I bought EJ when I was not sure if I would continue to shave with DE razor.

Thanks for your reply.

(03-31-2016, 02:47 AM)chazt Wrote: I own and can recommend that you look at and consider:

Vintage razor: Gillette Tech, Gillette Red Tip, GEM Featherweight, Schick Injector (the last 2 mentions will require that you purchase blades as your remaining DEs aren't compatible.

Soap: if you enjoyed the P-Red buy it again. Or try something new. There are sooo many to try.

Second iKon recommendation Smile
Yeah Gillette Slim from razor emporium looks good but little expensive. Is it worth it or I can buy better for less price.

Thanks for your reply.

(03-31-2016, 11:44 AM)LVshvnNow Wrote: As for razors I would go with a Heavy Duty from Razorock.  I have been getting great shaves from it, and at $19.99 you can't get a better deal.  As for soaps I would go with either Barrister and Mann Latha, Italian Barber, or Razorock.  Finish it off with a Syn from Maggards.  None of these will break the bank or your heart if they get lost.

Thanks for your reply man, will take a look.
I would have to try Barrister and Mann Latha

(03-31-2016, 11:56 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: sounds like time for a budget number so I can better gauge the next purchase(s)

Not sure about the budget, maybe 200 for the kit ? Question is do I have to spend more ? or I can get good enough within this price range ? I am not looking for super craftsmanship, just nice looking kit which can give be good shaves Smile

Thanks for your reply.

(03-31-2016, 12:41 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Slim
Maggard brush if you go cheap, Simpson Colonel X2 if you wanna step up to a good badger. The Maggard is a fantastic brush, though.
Assuming you're sticking to creams, Speick, or TOBS, or Cella, which IMO is more cream than soap.
If you really want to step up, try a harder soap. Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, TOBS Sandalwood hard puck, or La Savonniere du Moulin
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah was reading about Mitchell's wool fat, maybe will buy couple of those Tongue
Slim looks good worth $145 ?
http://www.razoremporium.com/1962-gillet...el-revamp/

Thanks again guys appreciate it.

0 22
 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(03-31-2016, 03:19 PM)shave0770 Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 09:50 PM)surfshaver Wrote: Razor -- Your second razor should be a slant.  Merkur 37c, the new Fine Slant (Vintage Merkur "Bakelite" clone), Ikon #102 are all good examples.

Still will be my first razor as I lost my previous one. I was looking at the Ikon when I bought EJ last time.
Where can I buy the soaps ?
A lot of option for brushes Smile Now which one should I buy..hmm

Thanks for your reply.

(03-30-2016, 10:07 PM)kav Wrote: I would suggest assembling TWO kits; one for traveling and one for home. Phil has some very nice, and modestly priced housebrand razors or you could get a Parker for travel. But, if it works don't fix it, unless you have the magpie urge to try something new. My EJ is still a favoured razor among 4.

Yeah will buy two this time Sad

I liked my EJ but wanted to try something different this time. I bought EJ when I was not sure if I would continue to shave with DE razor.

Thanks for your reply.

(03-31-2016, 02:47 AM)chazt Wrote: I own and can recommend that you look at and consider:

Second iKon recommendation Smile
Yeah Gillette Slim from razor emporium looks good but little expensive. Is it worth it or I can buy better for less price.

Thanks for your reply.

(03-31-2016, 11:44 AM)LVshvnNow Wrote: As for razors I would go with a Heavy Duty from Razorock.  I have been getting great shaves from it, and at $19.99 you can't get a better deal.  As for soaps I would go with either Barrister and Mann Latha, Italian Barber, or Razorock.  Finish it off with a Syn from Maggards.  None of these will break the bank or your heart if they get lost.

Thanks for your reply man, will take a look.
I would have to try Barrister and Mann Latha

(03-31-2016, 11:56 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: sounds like time for a budget number so I can better gauge the next purchase(s)

Not sure about the budget, maybe 200 for the kit ? Question is do I have to spend more ? or I can get good enough within this price range ? I am not looking for super craftsmanship, just nice looking kit which can give be good shaves Smile

Thanks for your reply.

(03-31-2016, 12:41 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Slim
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah was reading about Mitchell's wool fat, maybe will buy couple of thoseSlim looks good worth $145 ?
http://www.razoremporium.com/1962-gillet...el-revamp/

Thanks again guys appreciate it.
It's great that it has been replated but you can find plenty of nice slims for under $50 on the bay.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

0 94
 03-31-2016, 07:34 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(03-31-2016, 03:00 PM)shave0770 Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 08:04 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: An off-the-beaten-path suggestion:  The drop-dead gorgeous Bevel razor.  

Most of what you are likely to read about the Bevel if you do a web search is:  (1) the initial marketing campaign that required the buyer to subscribe to a plan that periodically shipped him shaving cream, etc., and (2) how using the Bevel might reduce the “razor bumps” suffered by many African-American men.  But the subscription no longer is mandatory, and the “razor bump advantage” always did apply equally to all DE razors, not just the Bevel, so it is irrelevant to the present discussion.  So now the razor can be evaluated on its own, apart from the distractions; and the price has come down, also.  Reasonably, the sponsors of this board do not welcome links to non-sponsor vendors posted here, but if you find yourself on the Target Stores site, look up product 50076325[/font]

That is pretty cool looking razor. Is it better or par with Edwin Jagger DE 89L I had ?

The Shavenook link above is to a first impression written by veteran contributor slantman; his opinions deserve respect.

(03-31-2016, 03:00 PM)shave0770 Wrote: Soap look good also looking at Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill and others

“Wool fat” = lanolin.  While MWF has seniority and undoubtedly is an excellent soap, you get the same benefit for which MWF is famous in a number of newer products that contain lanolin.  Haslinger Schafmilch is inexpensive on a per-puck purchase from Smallflower, and downright cheap when purchased in quantity from TVB in Slovenia.  It is an excellent soap, and the investment in confirming that claim for yourself is a very low bar to entry.

(03-31-2016, 03:00 PM)shave0770 Wrote: Brush looks god better or on par with the one I had ?

Synthetic brushes (not all, but select ones) leapt — suddenly — from the bottom rung of desirable brushes to sharing the top rung with (some) badger brushes (and above boar brushes) about two years ago.  For many serious experienced shavers in 2016, a good synthetic is the daily go-to brush.  The Stirling brush is an excellent introduction to synthetics.

0 1,050
 04-01-2016, 08:38 AM
User Info
Regarding brushes, I recommend either the Stirling, or any RazoRock plissoft synthetic. RazoRock also have very nice boar brushes that are already broken in.

For a soap I would go with Stirling, Dapper Dragon, WSP, soap commander, or Shannon's soap.

Regarding the razor part - what exactly are you looking for, and what's the budget? You can go with a Maggard's/RazoRock one (or soon a rocnel or the abovementioned fine slant) and all the way to the costly Feather/mongoose/ATT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 76
 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(03-31-2016, 07:34 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-31-2016, 03:00 PM)shave0770 Wrote:

The Shavenook link above is to a first impression written by veteran contributor slantman; his opinions deserve respect.

The site’s search function failed me — or I failed it — when I set out to find the full review of the Bevel that my memory told me I had read here.  My Metro-area colleague, blzrfn, who, like me, undoubtedly is basking in the glow of last evening's comeback against the Green Men from Boston, posted a very fine and well documented photo essay review of the Bevel razor on this site last August 26, and a shout-out to him is in order, along with my apology for not having cited his review in the first instance.  Here is the link:  

0 1,050
 04-02-2016, 04:48 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
You might want to try a synthetic brush if you travel a lot. I really like my whipped dog synthetic. You can post a WTB for the slim or try to find a cheaper one. Then, get a replated one if you find that you like it.

3 536
 04-02-2016, 07:36 AM
User Info
(04-02-2016, 04:48 AM)DayMan Wrote: You might want to try a synthetic brush if you travel a lot. I really like my whipped dog synthetic. You can post a WTB for the slim or try to find a cheaper one. Then, get a replated one if you find that you like it.

I don't travel a lot, will try synthetic this time.

Thanks for your reply.

0 22
 04-02-2016, 07:40 AM
User Info
Hi,

So the razors mentioned here "Maggard's" is better than EJ 89 i had before ?

Should I go with Bevel, Maggard, iKon or buy slim ?

0 22
 04-04-2016, 05:50 AM
User Info
Which one you guys recommend from the above ^^^

Any more inputs ?

Thanks

0 22
 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I think the Maggard head is similar to the EJ89.  I don't have either one, but I think I read that somewhere.  I like stainless steel razors, so I would probably go with the Ikon even though I have never used one.  I think I saw a couple of brand new ones for a good price on B/S/T.

3 536
 04-04-2016, 07:23 AM
User Info
(04-04-2016, 07:11 AM)DayMan Wrote: I think the Maggard head is similar to the EJ89.  I don't have either one, but I think I read that somewhere.  I like stainless steel razors, so I would probably go with the Ikon even though I have never used one.  I think I saw a couple of brand new ones for a good price on B/S/T.

B/S/T ??

0 22