03-31-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
Gentlemen,
I post this here because your are the experts on honing but if the mods consider it belongs elsewhere, feel free to relocate.
I recently got a Heljestrand SE razor and would like to put an edge on one of the blades it comes with and see how that goes. I do not own any stones other than a cheap 320/1000 grit norton for kitchen knives and do not have plans on spending a lot of money on hones, strops, etc. So my questions:
1. Assuming at least one is in descent condition, would you say is it possible to hone it to a descent shaving condition by a newbie using one stone start to finish (Jnat, coticule, other)?
2. What stone would you recommend?
3. Considering these pieces of straight razor blade are 8/10 of an inch by 1 and 6/10 of a inch wide (am sure those numbers are wrong but am not familiar with) what stone size would you recommend?
Your advise is more than welcome. I really hope someone has experience with these "wedges" (as people call them, even though they are hollow ground).

A couple of pics in case you are not familiar with.

The bayonet takes the blade for honing and I plan to take out the strop from the stropping system to strop the traditional way (I've read that works better).
[Image: R4TCrwd.jpg]

These is how the razor looks with its blade.
[Image: hyfEWDA.jpg].

And a third pic of the set for good measure.
[Image: NOrnGq4.jpg]

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

8 1,127
 03-31-2016, 11:11 PM
User Info
I can't imagine they would need taking back any further than say a 8K then finish on a 12K 20K.

11 1,940
 04-01-2016, 05:18 AM
User Info
It took me a long time to realize this but going back to the 1K every time is not necessary, as Jamie suggested start and the 8K and go up to 10-12K and strop and see how it goes, BTW... beautiful razor, reminds me of a classier version of a Rolls.

6 1,338
 04-01-2016, 06:27 AM
User Info
Thanks Jamie and Panther308. Look fwd to the honing experience. 1-2 combi stones sounds reasonable. 
I've been using the razor with GEM and love it so far. 
Thanks again.

8 1,127