03-31-2016, 09:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My neighbor Jacque works for Aero Postale and called often back in his homeland. He just gifted me a new, and I believe unknown artisan soap with the appellation of Poisson D'Avril. It is made in a limestone cave near the village of Ville d'Ys in Brittany on a farm featuring apple trees and goats. The soap is unusual in  using
liquors instead of essential oils and in effect acting as both shaving soap and aftershave. My puck came in a generous 250 ML wheel. It is covered in a protective
mold from a strain only found in these local caves, a few of which feature rumoured Paleolithic art of huge Holocene goats and spotted horses ever deeper still and I
am told fiercely guarded. The soap itself is more hard cream as it ages. It has variegated veins of color from the cider which gives off both a lovely smell and very
soothing effect while shaving. Lathering is, shall I say vigorous but quick and I was reminded of Jacque Pepin  cooking episodes as I rotated my brush on the surface.I forgot to mention scraping off the thin mold. This is a bother no more onerous than you people weary of the wax dots on new blades and quickly accomplished. I believe the anticipated LE forum knife from Spain will be perfect. I used an OPINEL, not wishing to offend any  ancient spirits from those caves.
lathering was unusual. I found myself leaving short, thick strokes and the amber and blue streaks from the quickly thickening  cider and cream soap looked like something a Post
Impressionist might have done. The shave was no less than I have come to expect from any French soap. If there is any fault, it is again with packaging that forum member Clause alluded to in a recent post. The 'packaging' was in fact sheets of LE MONDE secured with small daps of asphaltum from the shoreline!
Mine featured a photo of Donald Trump with some rather blunt Gallic commentary I will not repeat per forum etiquette.
I am unsure of unit cost, it was a gift and I will let Phil ponder approaching the maker for importation. All in all this was a fascinating shave with all the history and local culture I shared. I was able to get my neighbor to upload a photo.[Image: NeQbyoh.jpg]

2 3,171
 03-31-2016, 09:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM
User Info
No scent description?  Huh

8 1,128
 03-31-2016, 09:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
If you have ever enjoyed a Breton cider it is like that.

2 3,171
 03-31-2016, 09:27 PM
User Info
Very interesting.  I'll look forward to further reports as you get more experience using it.

207 12,264
 03-31-2016, 10:12 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Did you lather it with toast points?

2 517
 04-01-2016, 02:32 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-31-2016, 09:00 PM)kav Wrote: My neighbor Jacque works for Aero Postale and called often back in his homeland. He just gifted me a new, and I believe unknown artisan soap with the appellation of Poisson D'Avril. It is made in a limestone cave near the village of Ville d'Ys in Brittany on a farm featuring apple trees and goats.

Three years ago, we encountered a similar looking puck in the tiny village of Gamoneu (which is the spelling in the local Asturian dialect; in Spanish, it is spelled Gamonedo) southeast of Cangas de Onis.  It has a unique, and quite distinctive, scent that I found very agreeable.  (“Found,” in the past tense, because the puck that I brought back to the United States did not last long, due to my intense use.)  Although it was unconventionally packaged, with no printing on the wrapper, the shops in Cangas de Onis that sold it generally referred to it as “Kayso,” which, therefore, I assume is the brand name.  I have never seen any quite like it — except for the one puck that I brought back — in the United States.  I wish that I could buy it here.

1 1,089
 04-01-2016, 02:44 AM
User Info
If you didnt explained it as a shaving soap, propobly my first impression would be thats a blue mould cheese.

I am seeing similar artisian soaps at etsy, but this one seems a lot different.

Thank you for the info, waiting a detailed shaving review, foam pics and post shave quality info if possible.

0 132
 04-01-2016, 02:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(04-01-2016, 02:44 AM)dikdik_s Wrote: If you didnt explained it as a shaving soap, propobly my first impression would be thats a blue mould cheese.

I am seeing similar artisian soaps at etsy, but this one seems a lot different.

Thank you for the info, waiting a detailed shaving review, foam pics and post shave quality info if possible.

LOL

49 1,999
 04-01-2016, 03:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
 04-01-2016, 03:13 AM
User Info
Oh my God, you guys.
I deserved it. Guilty Blush Biggrin Biggrin

0 132
 04-01-2016, 04:04 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Knowing the day this was posted, and the poster's penchant for irony, the first thing I did before reading the full OP was google Poisson D'Avril.
Biggrin
Very nice. I, too, await the lather review. Perhaps a video?

2 1,683
 04-01-2016, 04:30 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
It was only obvious to me when the wrapping was a picture of Donald trump. I'm all for recycling but not everything can be recycled.

10 376
 04-01-2016, 04:34 AM
User Info
 04-01-2016, 04:45 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
 04-01-2016, 05:04 AM
User Info
(04-01-2016, 04:04 AM)SRNewb Wrote: Knowing the day this was posted, and the poster's penchant for irony, the first thing I did before reading the full OP was google Poisson D'Avril.
Biggrin
Very nice. I, too, await the lather review. Perhaps a video?

Now I googled "poisson d'avril" but so late, so late. Smile

0 132
 04-01-2016, 05:32 AM
User Info
 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
 04-01-2016, 06:18 AM
User Info
Good one, Chris! Biggrin

83 21,077
 04-01-2016, 06:21 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
But,but, there truly is a magical village in Brittany named Ville d'Ys and you can Google it. Jacques says bonjour to Primo[Image: jZ3IWdd.jpg]

2 3,171