04-03-2016, 10:16 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Today, I used it for the first time. It's one of the strongest scented soaps I have. The scent is amazing, I really like it. The blade was sliding easily and the protection during the shave was excellent. The post- shave feeling was also great, I finished my shave with the Colonia Italiana of Extro, which I think it makes a nice pair with the soap.

It's very easy to lather it, though the lather seems to be a little stange. It differs from almost every other soap and cream I've used in the past.

In terms of performance this soap is outstanding, I had an excellent shave. It's true that I had a few concerns about the performance since I had read some things that made me think if this was a good purchase. I'm glad I finally bought it and I recommend it to everyone who enjoys shaving with fine artisan products.

A few drops of hot water on the surface of the soap for 5 minutes and here we go...

[Image: 20160403_200817_zpsibxg9l2g.jpg]

[Image: 20160403_202310_zpserdtdz8t.jpg]

[Image: 20160403_202315_zpsiiy6f1ph.jpg]

Before the first pass...

[Image: 20160403_202420_zpsqvhg27wa.jpg]

After the end of the first pass...

[Image: 20160403_202605_zpsccfr7gzt.jpg]

Before the second pass, with a few drops of water added...

[Image: 20160403_203044_zpsche098ls.jpg]

After two passes...

[Image: 20160403_203634_zpssamdj9qv.jpg]

49 1,995
 04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
The lather is a bit unconventional, but magnificent nonetheless.   Love the scent too...

17 549
 04-03-2016, 11:35 AM
User Info
Nick, good to hear you enjoyed the soap. Thumbsup

82 21,077
 04-03-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
It's an outstanding soap, glad to hear it worked out well for you.

7 786
 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
I own 14 MT soaps and pastes for a reason, I LIKE IT  Biggrin

24 5,962
 04-03-2016, 02:04 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Meißner Tremonia has always worked exceptionally well for me also.

38 5,104
 04-03-2016, 02:14 PM
User Info
It's a very nice soap !!!

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
User Info
I'm a recent convert to Meissner Tremonia. I didn't care for it over the last year, but have recently had a change of heart. I prefer the paste to the soap personally but you're right they perform very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,271
 04-03-2016, 10:46 PM
User Info
I love the Dark Limes fragrance as well. The Pot of Milk is a little more of a challenge Wink 

I also found the lather from MT shaving creams a little weird, it's foamy in the bowl but dense, protective and slick on application.

23 475
 04-04-2016, 02:13 AM
User Info
Seeing these beautiful posts, willing to buy new products but really I dont know, if I can be able to finish all the soaps that I already have.

0 130
 04-04-2016, 03:45 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Lovely soap! I was gifted 3 of them, they are fantastic, and well worth replacing for me when they are gone.

2 1,683
 04-04-2016, 04:48 AM
User Info
Spectacular Soap,  enjoy  Biggrin

8 1,682
 04-04-2016, 05:46 AM
User Info
Your lather looks exactly like what I got with the stuff.   It's weird.  Not at all like any of my other soaps.  

I never really warmed up to it.  The shaves were pretty good, actually.  I just never got over the aesthetics of the lather, I guess.  And the scent was just meh for me.

2 1,448
 04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
User Info
The pictures of the lather look like they need a bit more water to me.

I find that this is a soap that grows in volume well before it reaches its optimum consistency (for me) to shave with. If too much product is loaded then it grows in volume too much and becomes unmanageable when trying to mix in an adequate amount of water. If this happens, try discarding some of the lather and keep mixing in a few dribbles of water to the lather that you keep until it thickens up and becomes slick and shiny. Alternatively I advise to load less product initially, a similar amount to any other product which you have experience and can lather easily.

While "load it like you hate it" works for most soaps, I find that Meissner Tremonia, Saponificio Varesino and Mitchell's Wool Fat are all soaps that really explode in volume when initially lathering and benefit from loading a standard amount or slightly less than other soaps.

8 206
 04-04-2016, 11:26 PM
User Info
(04-04-2016, 08:29 PM)nudge101 Wrote: The pictures of the lather look like they need a bit more water to me.

I find that this is a soap that grows in volume well before it reaches its optimum consistency (for me) to shave with. If too much product is loaded then it grows in volume too much and becomes unmanageable when trying to mix in an adequate amount of water. If this happens, try discarding some of the lather and keep mixing in a few dribbles of water to the lather that you keep until it thickens up and becomes slick and shiny. Alternatively I advise to load less product initially, a similar amount to any other product which you have experience and can lather easily.

While "load it like you hate it" works for most soaps, I find that Meissner Tremonia, Saponificio Varesino and Mitchell's Wool Fat are all soaps that really explode in volume when initially lathering and benefit from loading a standard amount or slightly less than other soaps.

I own 14 MT's, 8 SV's and one MWF - I always do the same with these as my other soaps, load the living life out them for a great thick lather.

I remember when guys told me load for 30 seconds or 40 swirls.......LOL - my rookie days back in 2011, when I thought I was told the golden truth about wet shaving, little did I know...... 

2016: I now load the bristles in my brush untill it is so stiff, I have a hard time swirling the brush in pot  Tongue - then I know I have loaded enough product on to the brush.

24 5,962
 04-04-2016, 11:54 PM
User Info
(04-04-2016, 11:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 08:29 PM)nudge101 Wrote: The pictures of the lather look like they need a bit more water to me.

I own 14 MT's, 8 SV's and one MWF - I always do the same with these as my other soaps, load the living life out them for a great thick lather.

I remember when guys told me load for 30 seconds or 40 swirls.......LOL - my rookie days back in 2011, when I thought I was told the golden truth about wet shaving, little did I know...... 

2016: I now load the bristles in my brush untill it is so stiff, I have a hard time swirling the brush in pot  Tongue - then I know I have loaded enough product on to the brush.

Does your MT shaving lather look like the above pictures? If it does and you are happy shaving with it then that is completely fine but I much prefer to add more water, have half that volume of lather and a shinier/wet look with more uniform consistency. (I feel like a bit of a wanker saying things like this and someone will probably think I'm being too technical but this is my preference, YMMV etc..)

In order for me to achieve this with MT, SV and MWF, I do not "load the living life out it" as I find that the lather blows up in volume way too much for me to be able to properly hydrate and mix it all. I can never get it to the consistency I like with so much unnecessary lather. I'm not saying to load for a certain amount of time but If I were to estimate, it would probably be around 20 seconds or until I have a nice goey moist paste in the tips of the brush. Any more than that and it is too much product for me. Then transfer the brush to a wet face and begin face lathering as normal, adding a couple of dribbles of water until the lather overcomes the "airy" stage and begins to thicken up and develop a sheen.

Maybe give this a go and see what you think. I have tried the "load it like you hate it" approach with these 3 soaps and it doesn't work as well for me. Almost all other soaps that I own and use (~40 for reference) do respond well to heavier loading and will tolerate a good soaking of water to produce ideal lather.

8 206
 04-05-2016, 01:40 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I did shave with this lather and the shave was excellent. If I had used more water, the lather would have become airy in a sec. Even in the first photo, after too many swirls in the scuttle, there are many bubbles in the lather. A few more drops of water and the lather would have disappeared. So, I don't think it needs more water.

49 1,995
 04-05-2016, 02:46 AM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 01:40 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I did shave with this lather and the shave was excellent. If I had used more water, the lather would have become airy in a sec. Even in the first photo, after too many swirls in the scuttle, there are many bubbles in the lather. A few more drops of water and the lather would have disappeared. So, I don't think it needs more water.

I just had a shave with MT Dark Limes a couple of minutes ago and after mucking around a bit with the water I believe you are correct, your lather would not handle any more water. Sorry for the confusion. I wonder if a bit more whipping would smooth out a few of those larger bubbles? My lather was able to tolerate roughly 4 dribbles of water but as I continued adding water passed this point it began to break down quickly. I rinsed my brush, reloaded and lathered again and stopped adding water after 4 dribbles and the lather provided a very good shave but it wasn't quite as thick as I thought I remembered making the last time I used MT.

After my shave I rinsed my brush and loaded once more, this time using much more product before starting to bowl lather. This produced way too much volume of lather as I began adding water and quite a large amount ended up on in the sink. So I still think that this soap performs best when loading a sensible amount of product, no need to load half a brush full in my experience.

8 206
 04-05-2016, 06:26 AM
User Info
[Image: fa64041f50e2d370b508a9218cf1b5f5.jpg]

No trouble here when lathering this stuff.
I do like it a lot, too.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

0 155
 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
There is Dark Limes AS now? I'm behind the times!

I'm glad the soap worked well for you. I used it yesterday after setting it aside for a bit, still enjoy the scent and slick performance quite a bit.

1 115