04-05-2016, 05:14 AM
User Info
I've read elsewhere some rumours about L'Occitane discontinuing their Cade shaving soap.
This is a rumour that pops up frequently, at least once or twice per year Biggrin, and never confirmed, so I was not giving it much credit, but I decided to clarify this by contacting directly L'Occitane...

I was also interested in buying a L'Occitane Plisson shaving brush, but I wasn't finding it at L'Occitane webpage.

So, I've contacted L'Occitane Customer Care here in Portugal, asking about those two items. Here's how it went (an sorry for the poor translation!):

Quote:Hello good morning, my name is Emanuel Coelho, and I am a frequent costumer of L'Occitane products for men.

I recently read a rumor about Cade Shaving soap; that it would be discontinued soon and would not be available. Please, can you confirm if the rumor is true?

I'm also interested in purchasing a Cade shaving brush, but currently I do not see it available on your website. Can you tell me when it will be available again?

Thank you, in advance, for your attention!

Here's the response that I got:

Quote:Good afternoon Emanuel.

I would like to thank in advance for your contact and interest in our products.

Our Shaving Soap is a permanent product and there is no indication that it will be discontinued.

However, I have the information that the Shaving Brush has been discontinued, so it should no longer be available.

Sincerely,

Andreia Palha

Customer Service

L'Occitane en Provence

What? Just right now when I decided to buy one, the damn thing is discontinued? Sad Damn...

Oh well... plenty more fish in the sea, I guess....

2 5,547
 04-05-2016, 05:18 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-05-2016, 05:14 AM)oversaturn Wrote: I've read elsewhere some rumours about L'Occitane discontinuing their Cade shaving soap.
This is a rumour that pops up frequently, at least once or twice per year Biggrin, and never confirmed, so I was not giving it much credit, but I decided to clarify this by contacting directly L'Occitane...

I was also interested in buying a L'Occitane Plisson shaving brush, but I wasn't finding it at L'Occitane webpage.

So, I've contacted L'Occitane Customer Care here in Portugal, asking about those two items. Here's how it went (an sorry for the poor translation!):

Quote:Hello good morning, my name is Emanuel Coelho, and I am a frequent costumer of L'Occitane products for men.

I recently read a rumor about Cade Shaving soap; that it would be discontinued soon and would not be available. Please, can you confirm if the rumor is true?

I'm also interested in purchasing a Cade shaving brush, but currently I do not see it available on your website. Can you tell me when it will be available again?

Thank you, in advance, for your attention!

Here's the response that I got:

Quote:Good afternoon Emanuel.

I would like to thank in advance for your contact and interest in our products.

Our Shaving Soap is a permanent product and there is no indication that it will be discontinued.

However, I have the information that the Shaving Brush has been discontinued, so it should no longer be available.

Sincerely,

Andreia Palha

Customer Service

L'Occitane en Provence

What? Just right now when I decided to buy one, the damn thing is discontinued? Sad Damn...

Oh well... plenty more fish in the sea, I guess....
Here it is in a much better handle, straight from the maker.

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/shavingbr...34801.html

2 1,683
 04-05-2016, 05:27 AM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 05:18 AM)SRNewb Wrote: Here it is in a much better handle, straight from the maker.

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/shavingbr...34801.html

Better? Why?
Do you have plastic in so much high regard to consider it better than a natural material like wood?

I would prefer the look and feeling of the wood handle, and Plisson have those also, but at double the price of a L'Occitane...! Tongue

2 5,547
 04-05-2016, 05:55 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It didn't really fit in with Plisson's business model. And as you pointed out, it was directly competing with similar brushes that sold for more money, so it was cannibalizing Plisson sales, not to mention that L'Occitane got a significant cut of the profit.

It was a fantastic seller for L'Occitane,mane I would imagine that they will have a nearly identical replacement soon. It'll likely have a different handle, and the same fibers. Only a guess, but the only reason they would discontinue a product that sold so well it was perpetually out of stock is because of supply problems.

22 828
 04-05-2016, 05:58 AM
User Info
The wood handle lost its veneer after a few months. Happened to me twice until I got the knots replanted. 

The brush has been 'discontinued' a few times, just to make a comeback by father's day....

18 654
 04-05-2016, 06:09 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
In truth, the "wood" handle barely qualified as wood in my opinion. It looked like wood, but felt in every way like a very cheap plastic. I have one of the originals as well as a later generation, and they definitely switched to an lower quality of wood at some point. I haven't used my wooden ones much (I got an acetate one from Plisson) so I don't know how well it holds up over time, but it was an extremely low quality wood. Again, not in line with what you would expect from a premium maker like Plisson.

I noticed at some point, (probably the same time they switched to the lower quality wood) L'Occitane modified the branding to de-emphasize the Plisson name. (I think they changed it "L'Occitane by Plisson" or something along those lines.) I would guess that they'll release something very similar in the future, with no Plisson branding whatsoever.

22 828
 04-05-2016, 06:13 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
The Plisson is definitely a better choice for long term usage. Mine show no wear after a year and the label is as new.

59 4,489
 04-05-2016, 06:20 AM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 05:55 AM)chamm Wrote: Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It didn't really fit in with Plisson's business model. And as you pointed out, it was directly competing with similar brushes that sold for more money, so it was cannibalizing Plisson sales, not to mention that L'Occitane got a significant cut of the profit.

It was a fantastic seller for L'Occitane,mane I would imagine that they will have a nearly identical replacement soon. It'll likely have a different handle, and the same fibers. Only a guess, but the only reason they would discontinue a product that sold so well it was perpetually out of stock is because of supply problems.

I really believe that you are right. The L'Occitane brush was a good seller - probably it sold more units alone than the entire Plisson synthetic range. As a plus, it was sold on brick-and-mortar shops, reaching to a diversified public, as L'Occitane has shops all around the world.

Of course, Plisson has their second brand (Maison du Barbier), but it is only available online or at a few supermarkets in France. It is not the same thing as having it available at L'Occitane shops all around the world.

However, I don't believe that the public used to shop the L'Occitane brush at ~€31 would happily move to the Plisson range, specially when it is sold at double the price... I really hope that you are right about the replacement! Tongue

(04-05-2016, 05:58 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: The wood handle lost its veneer after a few months. Happened to me twice until I got the knots replanted. 

The brush has been 'discontinued' a few times, just to make a comeback by father's day....

That wouldn't surprise me either...! Tongue
Father's day around here is at March, 19th ( Saint Joseph's Day), so I guess just have to wait a long time, then...! Tongue

2 5,547
 04-05-2016, 10:00 AM
User Info
Seems like everyone's selling a "Plisson-like" synthetic brush. I'm not sure how they compare, but I imagine someone will be able to suggest a suitable replacement.

0 1,070
 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM
User Info
It was an excellent synthetic knot, but the wood handle was not quality.  I had the knot from mine transpanted into a custom handle, as did many others.

50 6,055
 04-05-2016, 10:10 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've  finally learned not to waste time, emotion or money on The world's finest shedding brush, reformulated or chasing down discontinued products.  There are simply to many outstanding products out there with people of good will eager to sell them. "Lead, follow or get out of the way" or, as the Legion say's " March or Die".

2 3,171
 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-05-2016, 05:58 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: The wood handle lost its veneer after a few months. Happened to me twice until I got the knots replanted. 

This is why it's a better handle. The wood handle was a cheaper or less interesting wood with a veneer overlay. Veneer and water do not mix very well, most times. I prefer the acetate to that type of "wood handle". 1000 percent. YMMV
Do you have a synthetic, or were you considering trying the Plisson as your first foray into synthetics?
The reason I ask is that there are a ton of new brushes with that type of knot in them, for a fraction of the price. I have two of the Maggard offerings. They are fantastic brushes. Yes, the handles are [resin, plastic, whatever you care to call it; hasn't hurt Simpson, Rooney, et al], but they are really great brushes, and I would highly recommend them.

2 1,683
 04-05-2016, 12:26 PM
User Info
I had one for a while, and nothing bad happened to the handle.
It was a nice brush but not to my tastes (as they developed) with regard to backbone.
So I sold it.

I used to see it regularly in the L'Occitane stores.
I popped in again this past weekend, as I do every few months or so. No sign of it.

8 915
 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
My handle split wide open in no time.  I am on the current Wolf Whiskers list, as my intent is to send him this Plisson knot and have him put it in one of his handles.

It's also my understanding that it's the same Plisson knot that everyone loves.  Is that correct?

13 492
 04-05-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
The thing I don't like about the factory Plisson knots is the brass? ring which doesn't allow you to install into a different handle *easily*. At least not in my experience. I know veterans like Rudy or Peter probably have no problems though. It was just an experience I would not like to repeat on my own. I think the knot would be great at a slightly lower loft, so essentially I would end up going with a clone anyway. That thing splayed way too easily for my preferences.

63 1,720
 04-05-2016, 02:33 PM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 10:10 AM)kav Wrote: I've  finally learned not to waste time, emotion or money on The world's finest shedding brush, reformulated or chasing down discontinued products.  There are simply to many outstanding products out there with people of good will eager to sell them. "Lead, follow or get out of the way" or, as the Legion say's " March or Die".

You are absolutely right, sir! Smile

(04-05-2016, 10:17 AM)SRNewb Wrote:

This is why it's a better handle. The wood handle was a cheaper or less interesting wood with a veneer overlay. Veneer and water do not mix very well, most times. I prefer the acetate to that type of "wood handle". 1000 percent. YMMV
Do you have a synthetic, or were you considering trying the Plisson as your first foray into synthetics?
The reason I ask is that there are a ton of new brushes with that type of knot in them, for a fraction of the price. I have two of the Maggard offerings. They are fantastic brushes. Yes, the handles are [resin, plastic, whatever you care to call it; hasn't hurt Simpson, Rooney, et al], but they are really great brushes, and I would highly recommend them.

Well, not properly my first foray into synthetics. I already have a Mühle 33K 252 (23mm silvertip fiber in imitation horn handle) and a EJ 282 XL (25mm silvertip fiber also in imitation horn). Picture below.

~[Image: 21442637ei.jpg]

But I always felt curious about the Plisson/L'Occitane brush, that's all. Smile

2 5,547
 04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was the last USCG training company to qualify with M1 garand rifles. We were all curious about our family elders warnings about M1 thumbs and found out the hard way Thumbsup

2 3,171
 04-05-2016, 03:35 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-05-2016, 02:33 PM)oversaturn Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 10:10 AM)kav Wrote: I've  finally learned not to waste time, emotion or money on The world's finest shedding brush, reformulated or chasing down discontinued products.  There are simply to many outstanding products out there with people of good will eager to sell them. "Lead, follow or get out of the way" or, as the Legion say's " March or Die".

You are absolutely right, sir! Smile

(04-05-2016, 10:17 AM)SRNewb Wrote:

Well, not properly my first foray into synthetics. I already have a Mühle 33K 252 (23mm silvertip fiber in imitation horn handle) and a EJ 282 XL (25mm silvertip fiber also in imitation horn). Picture below.

~[Image: 21442637ei.jpg]

But I always felt curious about the Plisson/L'Occitane brush, that's all. Smile

Lovely brushes! I have the Boker with the Muhle STF. It is a fantastic knot. The Plisson is nothing like it. Much softer, and much less backbone. But it is my favorite synthetic knot, hands down.
I will, however, eventually purchase the EJ in the handle you have. That is a beautiful brush, and I already know I like the knot.

2 1,683