04-05-2016, 11:25 AM
User Info
I just took the plunge and bought one for.  I have another baby due in 3 months and birthday on Thursday and figure this is the last birthday present I will ever buy myself (not that I am complaining, I love my kids/family and don't mind that my money seems to funnel directly to them even clear out of my pocket sometimes).  

All the reviews I have read from you fine folks are great.  My question is for anyone who may have fairly heavy (and dark) growth and is a daily shaver, how does the razor work?  Lets say compaired to a EJ89, or a prewar tech which I use often and get a nice DFS with 3 to 4 passes?

87 892
 04-05-2016, 11:52 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Dude!  I also have my birthday on 7 April! What are the odds? Biggrin  Happy birthday to both of us.
I've got dark "copper wire" stubble and need very sharp blades but with sensitive skin, the razor needs to be mild.
I shave everyday M-F in the mornings and once on the weekend (Sat afternoon) so I have 24 hours growth during the week and 36 hours growth on Sat & Mon.
I find that I get a better shave on 36hr days with a more aggressive razor like my Cobra or NEW SC/LC than the OneBlade.  I use the Oneblade everyday for the rest of the week.
The oneblade is more efficient than both the DE89 and Tech in my opinion without being "aggressive".  
Do you have any GEM PTFE blades to try in it?  If not, I'll send you some.

47 1,903
 04-05-2016, 12:02 PM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 11:52 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Dude!  I also have my birthday on 7 April! What are the odds? Biggrin  Happy birthday to both of us.
I've got dark "copper wire" stubble and need very sharp blades but with sensitive skin, the razor needs to be mild.
I shave everyday M-F in the mornings and once on the weekend (Sat afternoon) so I have 24 hours growth during the week and 36 hours growth on Sat & Mon.
I find that I get a better shave on 36hr days with a more aggressive razor like my Cobra or NEW SC/LC than the OneBlade.  I use the Oneblade everyday for the rest of the week.
The oneblade is more efficient than both the DE89 and Tech in my opinion without being "aggressive".  

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY ERIK!  Who would have thunk such a simple day would produce two noble men! Wink 
I have not any GEM blades.  That would be very kind of you.  From what you're telling me, it sounds like I will enjoy the OneBlade.  I too shave M-S, and skip Sunday.  I figure why shave for church, G_D can see me naked if he wants, what's some stubble.  On Monday, with that extra growth I use my Fatip, very carefully but man does it provide a close shave. Was feeling a little guilty about the purchase, but now I am starting to get excited.

87 892
 04-05-2016, 12:11 PM
User Info
Happy early birthday's to us April fellas. While mine isn't on the 7th, it is the 18th.  Thumbup

(04-05-2016, 11:52 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Dude!  I also have my birthday on 7 April! What are the odds? Biggrin  Happy birthday to both of us.

Erik said a lot of what I would have. My stubble is so tough I can't even use a flexible DE blade. My stubble causes it to chatter and cut me along with loads of irritation. For me DE shaves were not much better than cartridge razors. Most weeks I shave daily, but there are times when I skip a day. OneBlade is amazing as a daily shaver, but initially it didn't seem to do as well on multiple days of growth for me either. However, I tried a new pattern of passes which seemed to work. Keep in mind that while the OneBlade is efficient, it is most assuredly mild. So on multiple days of growth it was easier to clog the razor and lead to tugging. So I changed from a 2-pass shave to a 3-pass shave. The mildness of the razor allows me to do the extra pass without irritating my sensitive skin. By adding back in a WTG pass (in my 2-pass shave I go XTG and then ATG) I was able to get a more subtle beard reduction that kept the razor from clogging. Now I can easily shave off multiple days of growth with no problem while also using the razor on a daily basis with no additional irritation.

31 8,056
 04-05-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
You can always return it within 30 days, can't you? Within that time, you should be able to determined if it is going to work for you, hopefully.

Good luck and have a wonderful Birthday, in a few days! Thumbup

82 21,056
 04-06-2016, 02:23 AM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 06:55 PM)celestino Wrote: You can always return it within 30 days, can't you? Within that time, you should be able to determined if it is going to work for you, hopefully.

Good luck and have a wonderful Birthday, in a few days! Thumbup

Yes I can return which is one of the reasons I bought it.  Thank you for the wishes.

87 892
 04-06-2016, 03:12 AM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 12:11 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Happy early birthday's to us April fellas. While mine isn't on the 7th, it is the 18th.  Thumbup

Erik said a lot of what I would have. My stubble is so tough I can't even use a flexible DE blade. My stubble causes it to chatter and cut me along with loads of irritation. For me DE shaves were not much better than cartridge razors. Most weeks I shave daily, but there are times when I skip a day. OneBlade is amazing as a daily shaver, but initially it didn't seem to do as well on multiple days of growth for me either. However, I tried a new pattern of passes which seemed to work. Keep in mind that while the OneBlade is efficient, it is most assuredly mild. So on multiple days of growth it was easier to clog the razor and lead to tugging. So I changed from a 2-pass shave to a 3-pass shave. The mildness of the razor allows me to do the extra pass without irritating my sensitive skin. By adding back in a WTG pass (in my 2-pass shave I go XTG and then ATG) I was able to get a more subtle beard reduction that kept the razor from clogging. Now I can easily shave off multiple days of growth with no problem while also using the razor on a daily basis with no additional irritation.

Happy early birthday!

87 892
 04-06-2016, 03:18 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
User Info
You too brother.
The Gems are in the mail

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

47 1,903
 04-06-2016, 05:17 AM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 03:18 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: You too brother.
The Gems are in the mail

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch.

87 892
 04-09-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
Had my first shave this morning.  It sure is mild...so mild I still have stubble after 4 passes.  
Now of course it is the first use and I will have to dial in the angle, but can anyone provide any angle advice?

87 892
 04-09-2016, 08:21 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
User Info
The angle should correct itself as long as you put back-pressure on the head (preload the spring slightly).
Don't put too much pressure, but the head is mild enough to tolerate some pressure.  Use that spring! Smile

47 1,903
 04-09-2016, 09:22 AM
User Info
Also there seems to be a lot of play in the pivot pin.  That pin makes me nervous.

87 892
 04-09-2016, 09:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was meditating this A.M. and God told me it's O.K. to attend church,temple,mosque and oakgrove unshaven, but please wear a bathrobe.[Image: Sepbrxb.jpg][Image: At8xZmp.jpg]

2 3,171
 04-09-2016, 09:56 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
User Info
(04-09-2016, 09:22 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Also there seems to be a lot of play in the pivot pin.  That pin makes me nervous.
I think that was identified by the company as a flaw covered by their warranty.  It only affected a small number of razors, sounds like yours may be one of them.
Contact the company and ask.  It's likely they'll send you a new (or refurbished) one.  My hinge pin has very little play.

47 1,903
 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 09:22 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Also there seems to be a lot of play in the pivot pin.  That pin makes me nervous.

After a few uses you will forget abut that pivot Smile

61 3,796
 04-09-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 09:56 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
I think that was identified by the company as a flaw covered by their warranty.  It only affected a small number of razors, sounds like yours may be one of them.
Contact the company and ask.  It's likely they'll send you a new (or refurbished) one.  My hinge pin has very little play.

I am thinking it must be.  Not only is the pivot very loose, but you can actually slide the head back and forth, or side to side.  That does not seem right to me.  I've already sent the company a message.

87 892
 04-09-2016, 12:40 PM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 11:39 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 09:56 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:

I am thinking it must be.  Not only is the pivot very loose, but you can actually slide the head back and forth, or side to side.  That does not seem right to me.  I've already sent the company a message.

The pin, and the head, should remain firm on the entire razor. And the pivot, is pretty tight, at least compared to cartridge pivots. It sounds to me as if you received a defective razor, and it should be replaced. OneBlade CS is top notch though, and this shouldn't be an issue.

(An aside, the flawed razors at the beginning of their company was another issue. That issue had to do with the blade going past the stops of a small number of razors. The locking mechanism needed to be tightened. No new razors should have this problem, and it appears your issue with the pin is something else.)

2 308
 04-10-2016, 04:29 AM
User Info
ShAve #2....okay, I get it.  3 pass shave was mich smoother today and ended with a much better shave.  Still minimal to no irritation.  That was the same first fhs feather.  I did take it out and wil start with a fresh one though I could probably get 3 shaves out of it.  Now I just need them to respond to me about the play in the pivot. After a rinse when I give a wrist flick i can hear it move to the other side and metal hitting metal.  

Also want give a quick shout to some guy named Alvarez Gomez.  I never met you, but just tried your shave cream for the first time...and ....well done.

87 892