04-05-2016, 03:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
www.newser.com/story/223037/lone-bullet'backs'up-lawrence-of-arabias-story.html

One of my first lessons post military was nobody believes the stories you do feel comfortable sharing unless having themselves served; knowing regardless of branch or period 'stuff happens'. You also learn  people can pop up telling stories you DON'T Facepalm want repeated. I had a mouthy USCG reservist in my university who's uncle I served with and my roommate's army unit was connected to an  atrocity HE REPORTED and for which he received equal postwar blame.
I was told my degree choice was a poor economic choice- mostly from my two brothers who lasted a few years in theirs while I went eleven. I still get irritated by armchair academics who sit in judgement of historical figures without researching the full story. I last chewed out an OUTSIDE writer over a hatchet job on Earnest Shackelton.
So it was with real pleasure I read of my avocation backing up another military figure called liar.

2 3,171
 04-06-2016, 02:43 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I put much of the criticism/scepticism down to envy.  Lawerence was a quirky individual and not mainstream, which, at the time, made him highly suspect; and probably made his critics feel uncomfortable and inadequate.

5 885
 04-06-2016, 04:21 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-06-2016, 02:43 AM)Rufus Wrote: I put much of the criticism/scepticism down to envy.  Lawerence was a quirky individual and not mainstream, which, at the time, made him highly suspect; and probably made his critics feel uncomfortable and inadequate.

Yup, a square peg in a round hole does not fit into the military, then and now, and certainly not into the general society he lived in. Another fascinating story is the career of Wilhelm Canaris, head of the German Abwehr in WWII.

Bob

0 1,694