04-05-2016, 04:06 PM
User Info
ONLY YOUR TOP CREAMS, NOT YOUR TOP SOAPS !

We need an updated list, don't we ?

To the aggressors - yes, if you look 1-2 years back and even 3-4 months back, you can most likely find a list pretty similar to this.
But time goes, and opinions differ and this is a shaving forum, so if you feel this is yet another list, that can make you red in your face and angry in your socks, then please JUST SKIP THIS THREAD !

With that cleared, let's all focus on what we call our favoruite shaving creams as of April 2016:

As all or many will know, I own a few creams, and only one missing from my list is the Version 3 of the Santa Maria Novella cream/croap. I wll get my hands on that soon.....only own SMN v1

Why 20, why not 5 or 10 or 50 ?

Feel free to add just your favourites, whether you have 1, 2, 3 or more favourites. Just list them here, and tell us your thoughts.
I looked at my collection, and felt 20 was the number to list. I was inspired by Chris Bailey, who just posted his Top 25 best artisan soap makers on YouTube  Tongue
I will soon make my personal top 500 favourite fragrances from my collection (full bottles only count)........ Number_one

My shaving cream Top 20, as of April 2016:

1. Esbjerg (own all 5)
2. Acqua di Parma (new version in pot)
3. Antica Barbierra Colla (croap like cream)
4. Xpec (own both)
5. Floris 89
6. St. James (own all 5)
7. Castle Forbes (own the Lime and the Lavender)
8. Baume.Be 
9. Acqua di Parma Collecione (old pot version, that RazoRock XxX tried to copy, and did it well)
10. Penhaligon (own 4: Opus, BB, Endymion & Sartorial)
11. Geo F. Trumper Coconut (own the entire range of GFT creams, this is the best for me)
12. Truefitt & Hill Ultimate (own the entire range of TF&H Creams, this is the best for me)
13. TOBS Coconut (own the entire range of TOBS creams, this is the best for me)
14. DR Harris Arlington (own the entire range of DR Harris creams, this just works fantastic for me, can't tell you why, has been a favourite since 2011, where I got this as one of my first proper shaving creams)
15. Musgo Real (own all 6, I have to use these sparingly, as the lanolin in them can cause irritation if used daily, but WoW - love their performance) 
16. Speick (just a great cheap cream, not the most volume in the lather, but cushion, protection and scent is awesome) 
17. O' Melhor 
18. I Coloniali Rhubarb (very erathy incensy scent, but WoW what a perfomer) 
19. Atkinson Lavender (made by I Coloniali, need I say more.......fantastic mild lavender scent) 
20. AOS Sandalwood (my favorite sandalwood scent, and this version of the cream is simply a fantstic performer too, mine is from 2012)

Honourable mention to the entire TOBS, TF&H, GFT and DR Harris line of shaving creams, as they all perform great on me. I own the entire range from all these 4 brands in creams and soaps as well (No sorry, GFT and TF&H soaps are banned because they s()ck)

Let me hear your list  Smile
Do you like my list or do you disagree with some of the creams I have on the Top 20 list ?

Nowadays I preferably use shaving soaps from April to September and shaving creams from October until March.
Soaps tend to dry out my skin a bit more and demand a bit harder work on my skin and face to face lather them into a lather I like, compared to shaving creams, that lathers fast and easily in a matter of seconds.

24 5,972
 04-05-2016, 04:39 PM
User Info
Well I don't have 20 yet...but...
1.  AOS.
2.  SMNV3.  Yes yes I know this might be heresy, but I just don't find it that easy to lather and Im not the biggest fan of the lather it builds in terms of consistency.  That said it is incredibly slick and I get good shaves from it but at this point my AoS lemon is my best performer.  
3. Proraso red.  Love the smell. It shaves good not great but good enough.  I always come back.  
4.  Xpec. Again i will probably be calleda heretic (or lunatic) Good performer bur much like SMN I found it didn't lather easily or build a nice thick lather 
like I enjoy.  Could be my water....but whatever it i
s it affects it's performance for me. Scent also ws nothing to write home about.  Seemed like the 
maker wad trying to hard.   
5.  St. James of london.  
6. Lea/palmolive/la toja.  All good cheap creams I get good shaves with.  

I think that all I have.  However I have on its way to my house alvarez gomez, Proraso blue, lea sensitive, and speick.  I have hd others that have come and gone that I didn't have long enough to rank.  We shall see.

90 899
 04-05-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
Top 4 so far from my humble experience

Lpl traditional- nice and slick, good post face feel, nice creamy, easy to lather
Aos tallow sandalwood- thick buttery goodness, plenty of cushion, nice post shave feel, not quite the slickness of lpl
Ogallala blood orange- this stuff surprised me, $5 and change for a puck, smells amazing, nice and slick, leaves my face feeling good after. It can be tricky to lather, but its quite nice when you get it right 
Geo f trumper sandalwood cream- probably my favorite sandalwood, very complex scent, performs well too, plenty of cushion, easy to lather

28 781
 04-05-2016, 05:35 PM
User Info
(04-05-2016, 05:07 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Top 4 so far from my humble experience

Lpl traditional- nice and slick, good post face feel, nice creamy, easy to lather
Aos tallow sandalwood- thick buttery goodness, plenty of cushion, nice post shave feel, not quite the slickness of lpl
Ogallala blood orange- this stuff surprised me, $5 and change for a puck, smells amazing, nice and slick, leaves my face feeling good after. It can be tricky to lather, but its quite nice when you get it right 
Geo f trumper sandalwood cream- probably my favorite sandalwood, very complex scent, performs well too, plenty of cushion, easy to lather

Sir, I know the lines between soaps, croaps and creams are blurred, but this list is about creams, and while I own, enjoy and love my AOS Tallow soap (thanks to grant from here), it can not be considered a cream nor a croap. It's a hard puck of soap to the best of my knowledge.

LPL, while perhaps a softer soaps, is still also considered to be a soap. I now am the proud owner of 8 LPL soaps, and I love their performance. But they don't belong on a Top 20 cream list  Biggrin

But thanks for your other contributions. I also love GFT Sandalwood cream, but - to me - GFT Coconut cream just performs slightly better.

24 5,972
 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM
User Info
Wow, Claus.  You have Baume.Be down that list further than I thought you would.

Interesting.

13 497
 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM
User Info
Oh My...20 eh...I'll be sitting this one out Smile

0 650
 04-05-2016, 05:40 PM
User Info
I only have the top 3 shaving soaps, mean I only buy 3 budget soaps no more.

1. Tabac Soap
2. Mitchell's Wool Fat
3. Haslinger Sheeps Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)

0 209
 04-05-2016, 05:48 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I don't have 20 that deserve mention. However:

1. Wm Neumann. I own five (Heartwood, 1907, Old Fashioned Soda, 1911 and Absolute Zero), with a couple of backups. Magical stuff. 
2. Baume.be
3. Esbjerg Orange Vetiver
4. XPEC
5. Castle Forbes Lavendar
6. Meissner Tremonia shaving paste

The others are riding the pine.

6 354
 04-06-2016, 02:13 AM
User Info
Forget about a Top 20 list, guys - I just gave you my Top 20 creams.

Just list what your favourite creams are  Biggrin

24 5,972
 04-06-2016, 03:11 AM
User Info
Claus, 

Thanks for creating an updated list.

It's threads like this that help me to make sound decisions on what to try.

My current top shaving creams:

1 Baume be - pleasant scent, really good performance and great for my sensitive skin
2 Esbjerg cream - great performance, verbena scent is ok.
3 AOS sandlewood - nice sandlewood scent
4. TOBS - sensitive skin - my first shaving cream I started with.
5 Speick - great value and performance to match 

I currently have Xpec and AdP (thanks to you guys) waiting to be used..so I'm guessing my list may change.

1 213
 04-06-2016, 05:22 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Claus my faves are the following (tough to rank them by number but they are all my top notch)

SMNV3
Esbjerg
Penhaligons
ADP Barbiere
Floris #89
Stone Cottage Creams
Queen Charlotte Mysore Sandalwood
I Coloniali 
Castle Forbes

168 1,387
 04-06-2016, 10:03 AM
User Info
Al's
Xpec
Fitjar

Not sure I'd categorize ABC, SMN, MWF, Tabac as a cream...but they are good!

36 893
 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
User Info
Not sure if I can rank them but my top 3 are probably St James of London, Esbjerg, and L'Occitane Cade

16 1,027
 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM
User Info
1. Esjberg
2. Baume.be
3. Alvarez Gomez ( could make the list on scent alone )
4. Castle Forbes
5. I Coloniali
6. Penhaligons
7. St. James of London

That's it for my cream list, not counting multiples of SJOL & Castle Forbes.  The only reason I don't have multiples of Esjberg is I haven't gotten around to placing an order : )

6 224
 04-06-2016, 03:35 PM
User Info
In no order as they all have strong points

ADP
AOS (sandalwood)
Proraso red
XPEC
Palmolive menthol
ABC
GFT coconut

60 1,541
 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
In no order:
XPEC (old)
Esbjerg (any)
Floris no.89
AdP (new jar)
Spencer & Devon Spice
Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil
Crabtree & Evelyn Aloe Vera
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna (1990 formula)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Penhaligon's Lords
GFT Violet (definitely the best for me)
Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood (I love cedar, very relaxing))
AoS (unscented, sandalwood, and ocean kelp)
ABC crema
T&H (Rose,Trafalgar, and Ultimate Comfort... want to try Grafton.)
DR Harris Eucalyptus
Alvarez Gomez

59 2,826
 04-06-2016, 06:38 PM
User Info
Great thread. Nice to see and learn. 

I use GFT Coconut cream so much that any others don't deserve mention. Great performance. Consistent. And I love the scent because it doesn't linger. It pleasantly vanishes.

20 162
 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
I have only tried about 9 creams. Out of the 9, these are the ones I really liked:

Palmolive
Musgo Real classic
Speick 
Irisch Moos
Godrej Lime

40 1,166
 04-06-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 10:03 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Al's
Xpec
Fitjar

Not sure I'd categorize ABC, SMN, MWF, Tabac as a cream...but they are good!

I own ABC in both the cream and the soap version. The cream is better than the soap, but the soap is good stuff too. The cream is quite soft, so definitely belongs here on this list.

SMN is a croap, so IMHO could fall into this list, but I only own the SMN v1, which fell just short of the list.

Will soon get the SMN v3, which is a different scented and performing croap, so I have been informed.

MWF I totally agree. It's a hard milled soap. And a great soap. And on my Top 20 best soaps list, I just made after making this list.

24 5,972
 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 11:08 AM)Newton Wrote: 1. Esjberg
2. Baume.be
3. Alvarez Gomez ( could make the list on scent alone )
4. Castle Forbes
5. I Coloniali
6. Penhaligons
7. St. James of London

That's it for my cream list, not counting multiples of SJOL & Castle Forbes.  The only reason I don't have multiples of Esjberg is I haven't gotten around to placing an order : )

Love and own Alvarez Gomez cream too, but it was just out of my Top 20, still a very nice cream. I used to love it more, but after using the bathing gel and the EDC as bathroom spray the last 6 months time, I have fallen out of love with the scent a littel bit........still as said a great cream and a great classic colonia citrus scent.

24 5,972