07-06-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
(07-06-2016, 07:06 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 06:12 AM)leiito Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 06:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: ONLY SOAPS HERE, NOT CREAMS !

My shaving soap Top 20, as of April 2016:

1. Nuavia (own both)
2. Czech & Speak (own both)
3. Tabula Rasa (own 8)
4. Savonniere du Moulin (own 1)
5. Savon des Volcans Bon Berger (own 6)
6. Le Pére Lucien (own 8)
7. Saponificion Varesino (own 6)
8. Barrister & Mann (own 14) 
9. Cold River Soap Works Select (own 10, all v1)
10. Valobra Tallow (own 4)
11. AOS Tallow (own 2)
12. Klar Seifen (own 3)
13. Martin de Candre (own 2)
14. Boellis Panama 1942
15. Caties Bubbles (own 8)
16. Meißner Tremonia (own 14) 
17. I Coloniali 
18. MWF 
19. Tabac
20. Lea Classic 

Honourable mention goes to Haslinger for making a great affordable tallow soap, that of course performs great, but is let down by the mild scent and to DR Harris (own 6) because they have managed to stay clear of bad reformulations and still make a hard soap, that may not perform TOP TOP level, but still performs fantastic. Should also put the Cella 1 KG brick here, because it's great and priced very fair.

Let me hear your list  Smile 
Do you like my list or do you disagree with some of the creams I have on the Top 20 list ?

Nowadays I preferably use shaving soaps from April to September and shaving creams from October until March.
Soaps tend to dry out my skin a bit more and demand a bit harder work on my skin and face to face lather them into a lather I like, compared to shaving creams, that lathers fast and easily in a matter of seconds.

What d'you do, take out a 2nd mortgage and invest in shaving soaps? I thought wet shaving was supposed to save you money. Kinda reminds me of those guys on youtube showing off their collection of fragrances and it takes like 10 minutes just for the camera to show it all, they don't just have a Tom Ford, they have every single private blend ever produced, every single Armani Prive, Creed, Annick Goutal... and down to the obscurest of niches in every permutation ever made and limited editions and in all possible bottle sizes. Unlike you and your soaps, I don't think those guys even like every perfume they own, they just gotta to have it in the collection. 

I've caught this bug, too, gotten myself addicted to couriers bringing nice smelling packages but when your monthly shaving expenditure exceeds your car related costs, when you have a decent new Rolex's worth in shaving gear, maybe it's time to take a step back and reconsider. 

My top soaps, btw, and having tried most of them, that's about all I need as I don't really care for super pricey soaps in unsightly packaging, like XPEC or SMN:
1. Acqua di Parma
2. I Coloniali Mango
3. Saponificio Varesino 70th
4. Acca Kappa White Moss
5. Speick

My addiction was, or still is, to have everything with the same scent in my collection. It started by matching a soap with A/S and EDT but quickly got to so that if I shave with Acca Kappa White Moss, before that I'll shower with AK WM gel and AK WM bath soap, wash my hair with corresponding shampoo, apply the matching deodorant, after shave, cologne and moisturizer. Not every brand or line has every single product available but Acca Kappa White Moss does, I Coloniali Rhubarb is doing a decent job, as is Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere, though one must cross from into Colonia Assoluta land for bath items. 

I didn't really see it as an issue till like yesterday, we all have our vices, collect something and why not shaving stuff, it's not unhealthy by any reasonable standard but I'm having a scented package coming in that got delayed and it really upset me, more than it should, made me realize I've been spending too much time reading reviews and searching for vendors, made me wonder what it is about this stuff that makes one crave it so much. Nah, it's probably just the hoarding instinct, no need for wet shavers anonymous.

I'm also a fragrance collector, owning more than 500+ full bottles of niche and designer Juice (40% niche, 60% designer)

Compared to so many other hobbies, it's not that expensive.
I was into HIFI, Computers & music a decade ago and it was more expensive than this. Also was into golf and golf gear, so collecting fragrances and shaving gear is actually a bit less expensive.

I'm not trying to brag, if I come out that way, please excuse me, because it's certainly not my intention.

I made these two Top 20 cream and soap list, sort of as a joke reply to a YouTube guy, that made his Top 25 artisans soap maker list.

But since I own several 100's soaps and creams, the list is genuine and represent my favourite products.

Mr.Clause Sir, you are an inspiration to me. Your responses to queries posted by self and others are refined n well researched. Atleast in my case, I have seen you not only suggest me on the queries posted but suggest better alternatives too.

There are other friends also in the forum too who do the same and I feel lucky to have found such a big cluster of refined and helpful gentlemen.

God bless all..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,220
 07-06-2016, 11:10 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
"Mr.Clause Sir, you are an inspiration to me. Your responses to queries posted by self and others are refined n well researched. Atleast in my case, I have seen you not only suggest me on the queries posted but suggest better alternatives too.

There are other friends also in the forum too who do the same and I feel lucky to have found such a big cluster of refined and helpful gentlemen.

God bless all.."

While there are many fine gentlemen on this forum, the Viking Shaver has no peer. Clap 

[Image: uvKcFjZ.jpg]

177 1,662
 07-17-2016, 07:19 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
My top:

MdC
Czech & Speake 88 and O&C
DR Harris
Arko puck
SdM

19 422
 07-18-2016, 01:46 PM
User Info
(07-06-2016, 08:20 AM)Jags009 Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 07:06 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 06:12 AM)leiito Wrote: What d'you do, take out a 2nd mortgage and invest in shaving soaps? I thought wet shaving was supposed to save you money. Kinda reminds me of those guys on youtube showing off their collection of fragrances and it takes like 10 minutes just for the camera to show it all, they don't just have a Tom Ford, they have every single private blend ever produced, every single Armani Prive, Creed, Annick Goutal... and down to the obscurest of niches in every permutation ever made and limited editions and in all possible bottle sizes. Unlike you and your soaps, I don't think those guys even like every perfume they own, they just gotta to have it in the collection. 

I've caught this bug, too, gotten myself addicted to couriers bringing nice smelling packages but when your monthly shaving expenditure exceeds your car related costs, when you have a decent new Rolex's worth in shaving gear, maybe it's time to take a step back and reconsider. 

My top soaps, btw, and having tried most of them, that's about all I need as I don't really care for super pricey soaps in unsightly packaging, like XPEC or SMN:
1. Acqua di Parma
2. I Coloniali Mango
3. Saponificio Varesino 70th
4. Acca Kappa White Moss
5. Speick

My addiction was, or still is, to have everything with the same scent in my collection. It started by matching a soap with A/S and EDT but quickly got to so that if I shave with Acca Kappa White Moss, before that I'll shower with AK WM gel and AK WM bath soap, wash my hair with corresponding shampoo, apply the matching deodorant, after shave, cologne and moisturizer. Not every brand or line has every single product available but Acca Kappa White Moss does, I Coloniali Rhubarb is doing a decent job, as is Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere, though one must cross from into Colonia Assoluta land for bath items. 

I didn't really see it as an issue till like yesterday, we all have our vices, collect something and why not shaving stuff, it's not unhealthy by any reasonable standard but I'm having a scented package coming in that got delayed and it really upset me, more than it should, made me realize I've been spending too much time reading reviews and searching for vendors, made me wonder what it is about this stuff that makes one crave it so much. Nah, it's probably just the hoarding instinct, no need for wet shavers anonymous.

I'm also a fragrance collector, owning more than 500+ full bottles of niche and designer Juice (40% niche, 60% designer)

Compared to so many other hobbies, it's not that expensive.
I was into HIFI, Computers & music a decade ago and it was more expensive  than this. Also was into golf and golf gear, so collecting fragrances and shaving gear is actually a bit less expensive.

I'm not trying to brag, if I come out that way, please excuse me, because it's certainly not my intention.

I made these two Top 20 cream and soap list, sort of as a joke reply to a YouTube guy, that made his Top 25 artisans soap maker list.

But since I own several 100's soaps and creams, the list is genuine and represent my favourite products.

Mr.Clause Sir, you are an inspiration to me. Your responses to queries posted by self and others are refined n well researched. Atleast in my case, I have seen you not only suggest me on the queries posted but suggest better alternatives too.

God bless all..

(07-06-2016, 11:10 AM)Steelman Wrote: "Mr.Clause Sir, you are an inspiration to me. Your responses to queries posted by self and others are refined n well researched. Atleast in my case, I have seen you not only suggest me on the queries posted but suggest better alternatives too.

God bless all.."

While there are many fine gentlemen on this forum, the Viking Shaver has no peer. Clap 

[Image: uvKcFjZ.jpg]

Thank you to both of you.

Did not see this before now - I'm truly humbled  Shy

25 6,542
 08-22-2016, 04:40 AM
User Info
Gents I recently purchased meissner tremonia in a shave bowl from connaught and the parcel has landed today.

Could anyone tell me how to use the bowl correctly...I mean can I lather in the bowl and let the soap dry in it...or do I have to empty the bowl after shaving and then let it dry.

Thanks in advance.

3 1,220
 08-22-2016, 04:53 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(08-22-2016, 04:40 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Gents I recently purchased meissner tremonia in a shave bowl from connaught and the parcel has landed today.

Could anyone tell me how to use the bowl correctly...I mean can I lather in the bowl and let the soap dry in it...or do I have to empty the bowl after shaving and then let it dry.

Thanks in advance.

You can lather in the bowl and let the soap dry out in the bowl. No need to remove the soap.

177 1,662
 08-22-2016, 07:24 AM
  • Nero
User Info
As Ron said.

I would add, because the soap is very pliable (which may not be obvious by only looking at the puck), you could also press/compress the soap down into the container, thereby eliminating the gap around the side of the puck/inside container.

84 3,670
 08-22-2016, 12:41 PM
User Info
(08-22-2016, 07:24 AM)Nero Wrote: As Ron said.

I would add, because the soap is very pliable (which may not be obvious by only looking at the puck), you could also press/compress the soap down into the container, thereby eliminating the gap around the side of the puck/inside container.

Good advice, and I agree.

I'm the proud owner of 8 MT soaps and 8 MT pastes (same 8 scents in two versions). I slightly prefer the Paste to the soap. Slightly.

25 6,542
 08-22-2016, 01:32 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Also, a few drops of hot water on the surface of the soap for a few minutes will help the brush to take more product and create the lather faster. During the lathering process, don't use much water, a few drops is enough.

60 2,593
 08-23-2016, 04:59 AM
User Info
(08-22-2016, 12:41 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I'm the proud owner of 8 MT soaps and 8 MT pastes (same 8 scents in two versions). I slightly prefer the Paste to the soap. Slightly.

Hi Claus I intend to pick couple more from MT. Any suggestions please.Could you also please tell me your top3-4 flavors in MT. I own dark limes and pink grapefruit. Any idea about sea salt and himalayan cedar.

3 1,220
 08-25-2016, 12:03 AM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 04:59 AM)Jags009 Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 12:41 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Hi Claus I intend to pick couple more from MT. Any suggestions please.Could you also please tell me your top3-4 flavors in MT. I own dark limes and pink grapefruit. Any idea about sea salt and himalayan cedar.

I love all 8 scents of mine.

I own:
Pink grapefruit
Dark lime
Black Beer
Gentle Menthol
Indian Flavour
Woody almond
Lavender de luxe
Salty sea sage

Currently Gentle Menthol is my favourite because I was gifted a backup, so use this 2-3 times a month now. Fantastic scent.
Honestly I love all 8 MT scents in my rotation. I prefer some for winter and some for summer.
Woody almond is an ingenious mix of cedar wood and sweet almond. Perfect winter/Christmas scent.
Indian Flavour just gives me a rich mix of lightly spiced ingredients with added mint. Awesome scent.
Lavender de luxe is this beautiful mix of lavender and rose and geranium.

In short: I like them all.

But try Gentle Menthol.
I sold some razor stands to a guy, and used my MT Gentle Menthol box for it.
He wrote me back, that he would be ordering the MT Gentle Menthol immediately

25 6,542
 08-25-2016, 12:05 AM
User Info
Thanks a lot. Gentle menthol it is then.

3 1,220
 08-25-2016, 08:41 PM
User Info
(08-25-2016, 12:05 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Thanks a lot. Gentle menthol it is then.

You won't regret it.
A more refined mild menthol is hard to make. You get Rosemary, Lavender, Eucalyptus and menthol mixed into one very nice blend.
Only Savon des Volcan Rosemary and mint can compete with this, but the MT is the better scent IMHO.

25 6,542
 04-27-2019, 07:53 AM
User Info
1. Martin De Candre
2. Santa Maria Novella
3. Australian Private Reserve
4. Carthusia Uomo
5. Eufros
6. Nuavia
7. DR Harris Windsor
8. Stirling
9. Penhaligon’s Sartorial
10. Sebum
11. Mitchell’s Wool Fat
12. CK-12
13. Henri Et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars (3x)
14. Castle Forbes Lime Cream
15. Baume.be Cream
16. Antica Barbieria Colla Cream
17. Hemingway Accoutrements Cream
18. Boellis Panama 1924
19. Santa Maria Del Fiore
20. Le pere lucien apricot

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-27-2019, 08:57 AM
User Info
CRSW - Olfactory Hue
CRSW - Barbiere Sapone
CRSW - Barbershop
CRSW - Winter
CRSW - Fragile Confusion
Savonnerie du bon Berger Volcans
XPEC unscented
ABC
Midnight & Two Provence
Barrister & Mann Seville

(list limited due to my wife's dogged persistence in limiting inventory and keeping inventory limited)

62 1,456
 04-29-2019, 03:39 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-23-2016, 02:09 PM)Mouser Wrote: Hmmm, no particular order
Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Tabac
Martin de Candre
Yardley
Ralph Lauren Safari
Penhaligon's English Fern (tallow)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (tallow)
Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Sandlewood
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna
WSP Rustic Mahogany
WSP Rustic Gaelic Tweed
DR Harris Marlborough
DR Harris Windsor
L'Occitane Cade
Speick (stick, grated)
Palmolive (stick, grated)

Looking at my list I can't  believe  I left out ones like Nuavia Blu and Rosa, Boellis Panama,  PdP, and a few others. I'm not sure why. But if I kept it and use it it's one of my favorites. Why would I do otherwise? Especially given I have so many "favorites".
p.s. upon checking the date of my first post I understand why some were left off, I hadn't tried them yet. But that only explains half of what isn't on that first list. Senility is the only explanation for the others.

8 2,601