04-05-2016, 06:22 PM
User Info
Several months ago, I looked over at my shaving cabinet and there sat 60 soaps and creams. I looked at the front row and noticed my old favorite, Castle Forbes Lavender, sitting there. I hadn't touched it in months. I finally came to the realization that I had so much that it would take me weeks (or months) to get around to using everything once. I also came to the realization that I was not using the products I loved the most, so I sold off a lot of what I had, even products I really enjoyed. I just didn't see the point in owning so much. So what say you? How much is too much?

158 1,016
 04-05-2016, 06:28 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Too much in terms of frequent use? I passed that number long ago. But too much in terms of having fun trying and enjoying a variety of products? That will never happen.

38 5,034
 04-05-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
Depends on how well a particular product stores long term.

Thank goodness for the people who had more Yardley and Old Spice soaps back in the day than they could use. Otherwise I would be half the enthusiast I am today.

Angel

7 1,315
 04-05-2016, 06:32 PM
User Info
I just recently got rid of 12 soaps. I have received 4 since. I have plans to buy a few more in the future, but the goal is to dial in what I want and what I dont. I think I have been successful with this so far.

0 517
 04-05-2016, 06:42 PM
User Info
The only problem I seem to have, at the moment, is trying to limit the number of scents I have of my only soap..................oh, and keeping my brush collection to a manageable size. Biggrin
How fortunate I am!

82 21,056
 04-05-2016, 06:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I am fortunate. A gypsy fortune teller foretold my death at 100 after bravely shooting a future political tyrant with a Colt revolver at 666 paces. I am able to calculate pretty precisely the number of razorblades and soap needed for 38 years. I have settled comfortably on one blade and for longevity and personal preference soaps. I enjoy a few with limited shelf life and some unlimited. My plan has always been the slow build up of reserves while bracing for some catastrophic interruption in supply such as the discontinued Super iridium scare some years past. So, I can in good conscious spent a lot more at BullGoose

2 3,171
 04-05-2016, 07:10 PM
User Info
there's never enough. AD will always get me, either brush, soap, or cream or shavegear.

I buy razors and razor accessories.

24 698
 04-05-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
I too have a problem, I cant help buying new razors, and straights. I have to get rid of some soaps as well, Ive held off buying new soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 160
 04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
User Info
How much is too much? For me it is not actually finishing a single soap. I've yet to truly do this. I have too many probably as much as the OP. I feel like I've lost my mind.

1 468
 04-06-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
I have two soaps , the new Fine American blend , and Cold river soap works Olivia colonia. The Fine I bought purely out of curiousity and truthfully its stellar, not leaving my den even though I am a minimalist. My approach to what's in my den is simple , I like to try things and I purchase and pass along as I want to acquire something new. I try to keep 1 or 2 soaps , 2 brushes , 1 aftershave , and 1 razor. When the seasons change as they do every week in New York , I pass along my soaps in order to acquire a season appropriate scent, in doing so nothing sits and spoils.

60 1,410
 04-06-2016, 04:49 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
It would be interesting to chart the pace of individual acquisitions. When I started 8 odd years past none of the new generation razors were being made along with many brushmakers. Soaps, blades and post shaves rapidly became available along with the invention of preshave oils. I never
ventured into collectables out of ignorance and having BTDT in other pursuits. Now we see collections being cleared inhand with the recent market instability of some artisans and vendors going out of business.
As posted earlier; I am still buying, but at a walk while others seem to be holding hands with the Chess Queen in Alice.

2 3,171
 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
I have worked my way down to around thirty, only buying two so far this year. I don't especially know why I am trying to wheedle them down, maybe other than when my drawer wouldn't hold them any more, I just decided to scale back a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 04-06-2016, 07:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm pretty much an unscented guy, however I do enjoy a scented soap once or twice a week. I have Many unscented soaps. Presently my scented soaps include 5 B&M, 1 P-Red, 1 P-Green and MWF. Of the B&M flavors the only one I'll reorder will be Oceana. There'll always be some Proraso and MWF in my den.

4 1,932
 04-06-2016, 07:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(04-05-2016, 06:22 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: How much is too much?

The moment you start asking!

I've asked myself the same question too many times. The answer has most likely slowed me. It's certainly forced a little guilt. But it definitely has NOT stopped me...

99 18,011
 04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
User Info
I have arrived at my own personal magic number. 20.

20 Soaps
20 Razors
20 Brushes
20 Aftershaves

This allows for variety, but within reason. If you shave every day, then you can use each product 18 times per year. 
Maybe I am slightly over the magic number in a few categories  Angel . But slightly under in others, so I think it evens out. (brushes++, soaps++, razors--, aftershaves--)

38 1,159
 04-06-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
"over-kill is under-rated"

1 56
 04-07-2016, 06:24 AM
User Info
Most everybody on this forum has "too much."  But it's pretty much harmless fun.  When you start to think "What in the world am I doing?" you have hit your own personal "too much" limit.  

I only have 5 soaps in my den right now, and I don't feel like it's too much.  I finish soaps completely, and have finished a couple of them in the past several months (replaced by new acquisitions to keep the total at 4 or 5).  I am comfortable with this amount of variety and do not feel that it's excessive, so it works for me.  Everybody has to choose for themselves what seems right to them.

2 1,394
 04-07-2016, 06:31 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
It's too much when I keep stuff I don't want to use. Other than that, I am working on perfection.

57 2,552
 04-07-2016, 06:33 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I'm waiting for Claus to chime in Biggrin

159 1,316
 04-07-2016, 07:03 AM
User Info
I have right around 100 give or take and I feel I have too much, only because I don't feel I get to use each soap as much as I would like. That being said there are still quite a few that I REALLY want to buy!  Confused

3 909