04-06-2016, 04:22 AM
User Info
I posted a thread a bit ago about budget soaps you could live with.  Based on the many responses from all you fine folks, I decided to give Latha a try.  Let's just say that my previous experience with B&M, and I believe I tried  5 different scents was...well I would draw your attention to the scene in Anchorman when he pulls out the SexPanther.  I also did not find the lather anything to tell my mother about on Sundays so...

As a result of the many recommendations for Latha, I bought a tub of Oceana and have been interspersing it hear and there.  I am glad I did.  The scent is not overly contrived, as I found the other scents.  The lather is nice slick thick and gooey like I like it, and for a artisan soap it is fairly easy to lather.  The scent itself is very nice.  It has depth without trying to hard.  You can pick out each of the described notes, and here we are about 2 hours post shave and I still catch a whiff of it here and there.  I will definitely be giving the other scents of Latha a go.  And at 10 to 13 bucks a tub, not a bad price either.  
Thanks Nookers

90 899
 04-06-2016, 05:29 AM
User Info
Awesome.  I'm glad you like it.  I've never tried Oceana, but I really love Limon.  The scent is wonderful without being overpowering.  The puck lathers up beautifully.

2 1,464
 04-06-2016, 06:00 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Latha are terrific soaps. There are about as easy to lather as any soap I've tried. I have yet to try Oceana, but enjoy Taiga and Le Petit Chypre, as well as the original Latha. It's hard to beat a soap for $11 and a matching AS for $6.50.

38 5,115
 04-06-2016, 07:08 AM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 04:22 AM)chromedometone Wrote: The scent itself is very nice.  It has depth without trying to hard.  You can pick out each of the described notes, and here we are about 2 hours post shave and I still catch a whiff of it here and there.

This has been my experience as well. I can still catch a whiff a few hours later and not in an overpowering teenager-using-Drakkar-sort of way. I also use the aftershave, which in my opinion, is pound-for-pound (or dollar-for-dollar) the best aftershave out there. The scent profile listed is "Aqua/Bergamot/Sandalwood/Jasmine" and while you can detect each scent they combine very well, with the aqua and jasmine scents being "grounded" by the sandalwood and the bergamot. A nice complex scent for a cheap soap!

As for performance, the soap base is the closest I've found to being similar to creams, with that yogurty/thick/slick lather. It doesn't have tallow but has shea butter, argan oil, and tocopherol acetate (i.e. vitamin E). Combined with the aftershave, it has great post-shave effects.

84 1,505
 04-06-2016, 07:16 AM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 07:08 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(04-06-2016, 04:22 AM)chromedometone Wrote: The scent itself is very nice.  It has depth without trying to hard.  You can pick out each of the described notes, and here we are about 2 hours post shave and I still catch a whiff of it here and there.

This has been my experience as well.  I can still catch a whiff a few hours later and not in an overpowering teenager-using-Drakkar-sort of way.  I also use the aftershave, which in my opinion, is pound-for-pound (or dollar-for-dollar) the best aftershave out there.  The scent profile listed is "Aqua/Bergamot/Sandalwood/Jasmine" and while you can detect each scent they combine very well, with the aqua and jasmine scents being "grounded" by the sandalwood and the bergamot.  A nice complex scent for a cheap soap!  

As for performance, the soap base is the closest I've found to being similar to creams, with that yogurty/thick/slick lather.  It doesn't have tallow but has shea butter, argan oil, and tocopherol acetate (i.e. vitamin E). Combined with the aftershave, it has great post-shave effects.

I thought it did have tallow.  Hmm

90 899
 04-06-2016, 07:22 AM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 07:16 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I thought it did have tallow.  Hmm

Whoops! My mistake. I meant to write that it didn't have lanolin in it.

84 1,505
 04-06-2016, 07:29 AM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 07:22 AM)jpakstis Wrote:

Whoops!  My mistake.  I meant to write that it didn't have lanolin in it.

Oh yes you are correct, no lanolin.  I don't mind though I like having soap without lanolin.  For me, I feel constant lanolin blast reds up my skin after a while.  the Latha leaves my face feeling soft and lean.  Not oily, just soft and clean.

90 899
 04-06-2016, 08:04 AM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 07:29 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(04-06-2016, 07:22 AM)jpakstis Wrote:

Whoops!  My mistake.  I meant to write that it didn't have lanolin in it.

Oh yes you are correct, no lanolin.  I don't mind though I like having soap without lanolin.  For me, I feel constant lanolin blast reds up my skin after a while.  the Latha leaves my face feeling soft and lean.  Not oily, just soft and clean.
I'm a big Latha fan as well.  I got the original scent when it first came out and I am convinced Latha is the best bang for your buck soap in the market, especially given its ease of lathering.  I recommend it as a first soap to any newbie.  I like the Oceana scent as well but unfortunately, something about aquatic scents irritate my skin!  I had the same problem with MLS The Kraken.  The last thing I need right now is another soap, but I'd love to try Taiga...

11 973
 04-06-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
I picked up 4 Latha soaps in the last few weeks and Oceana was indeed one of them.  Great aquatic scent, that has the perfect strength.  Latha overperforms its price point as well.  Very slick, takes tons of water and has great cushion.

1 468
 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
I'm a fan of soaps with Argan oil. I think that helps the post shave feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 372
 04-06-2016, 11:00 AM
User Info
I have a sample size of Ocean and like it. Which store has the best selection of Latha soaps, and/or the better prices?

0 6
 04-06-2016, 12:03 PM
User Info
Maggards has a solid selection of the scents. I ordered a sampler intending to go with limon, but instead fell for oceana. 

[Image: ym94kd9.jpg]

28 1,103
 04-06-2016, 12:23 PM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 11:00 AM)Epicurean Wrote: I have a sample size of Ocean and like it. Which store has the best selection of Latha soaps, and/or the better prices?

Ordering direct from them would be the best choice since most vendors don't carry all of the Latha splashes - Original, Taiga, Oceana, and Le Petit Chypre (I think retailers that have LPC also carry the matching splash, but not the other splashes).  Unfortunately, Oceana is sold out at B&M.  The splashes are really great and inexpensive.

2 107
 04-06-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
LPC is incredible too. I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm blown away by the Latha line. I have four now and they are incredible for the price. People talk of the value of razorock but for $1.01 more a puck you can get much better scents and performance.

1 468
 04-06-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
(04-06-2016, 04:22 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I posted a thread a bit ago about budget soaps you could live with.  Based on the many responses from all you fine folks, I decided to give Latha a try.  Let's just say that my previous experience with B&M, and I believe I tried  5 different scents was...well I would draw your attention to the scene in Anchorman when he pulls out the SexPanther.  I also did not find the lather anything to tell my mother about on Sundays so...

As a result of the many recommendations for Latha, I bought a tub of Oceana and have been interspersing it hear and there.  I am glad I did.  The scent is not overly contrived, as I found the other scents.  The lather is nice slick thick and gooey like I like it, and for a artisan soap it is fairly easy to lather.  The scent itself is very nice.  It has depth without trying to hard.  You can pick out each of the described notes, and here we are about 2 hours post shave and I still catch a whiff of it here and there.  I will definitely be giving the other scents of Latha a go.  And at 10 to 13 bucks a tub, not a bad price either.  
Thanks Nookers

I'm new to Latha too, I started using Oceana at the beginning of the month. It's a great soap, an instant favorite of mine. It isn't as moisturizing as the regular line, but the shave is great (thick lather that I like) and the price is hard to beat. Not to mention that fabulous scent that reminds me of a $35 Truefitt & Hill cream!!

6 755
 04-06-2016, 06:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Oceana is by far my favorite of the Latha line. It truly reminds me of a day at the beach in Ocean City, MD. And yes, whiffs every so often for hours after the shave.

7 2,164
 04-07-2016, 02:13 AM
User Info
I thoroughly enjoy this line or B&M soaps and Oceans (IMO) is he better scented soaps. It is refreshing and has excellent protection and post feel is just about the feel of the other lines from them.

Sent from my SM-G900L using Tapatalk

2 93
 04-07-2016, 11:15 AM
User Info
Are you saying that it smells like 1805?

2 1,464
 04-07-2016, 12:53 PM
User Info
Found on another forum - Will's personal favorite pairings with his soaps:

Quote:A'chiming I shall go!

Rhapsody was actually inspired by New York, so I highly recommend checking that out. I'd love to know who's comparing 42 to that particular fragrance; I hadn't heard that one.

My personal favorites: 

• Le Grand Chypre and Chanel Pour Monsieur, Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, or Guerlain Mitsouko
  • Leviathan and MPG Santal Noble, which inspired it.
  • Vetyver Santal and Guerlain Vetiver
  • Roam and Diptyque Volutes or Knize Ten
  • Oceana and Bvlgari Aqua Pour Homme
  • Fougère Imperiale and either Grey Flannel or Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
  • Fougère Aromatique and MDCI Invasion Barbare
  • (this is a weird one) Lavanille and Lubin Korrigan
  • Hallows and Slumberhouse Ore
  • Taiga and Slumberhouse Norne

I adore Aqva Pour Homme - my second-favorite aquatic behind the far more expensive Heeley Sel Marin. If Oceana is indeed a nice pairing to it, I may have to pick up a tub!

16 1,027
 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
(04-07-2016, 11:15 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Are you saying that it smells like 1805?
No, but there are similarities. It's been a while since using T&H but it's sort of a mix of 1805 and Trafalgar to me - the aqua and the woodiness.

6 755