04-07-2016, 06:47 AM
User Info
Hi all!
I am a complete newbie of wet shaving and I approached this world just few weeks ago, looking for gear and techniques that will allow me to shave daily without incurring in the irritation and poor shaving quality that I was obtaining with cartridge razors and electric razor.
I realized that I probably started a bit on the hard way, since I got myself a GEM 1912 and some CVS blades, but I decided to accept the challenge and after the first bloody shave, and thanks to a lot of useful info found on this forum I am now able to shave daily, with an acceptable quality (still plenty of room for improvement, I am just getting to know my own face), and almost without any irritation/nicks. I am currently waiting for my 1st DE to arrive (EJ89) and see how DE shaving feels in comparison.

This looong introduction just to justify you the object of my post: being new to this world I did not want to start with too many variables, so I decided not to buy brush and soap for now and I started off with the gillette fusion gel I had in my cabinet. As soon as this finished I was still confuse by all the differences between soaps, creams, and brushes, but I found an interesting product on the shelf of my superstore (Kroger): the Van Der Hagen Save Butter.
[Image: 61xd2DxC6oL._SY355_.jpg]

I did not find any other post in this forum regarding it, so I was wondering if any of you has tried a similar product before. 
It is on the expensive side (about $6.50 for 170mL), but the quantity required is not much. Also, I am sure this sounds like a blasphemy to many of you, but they claim you can avoid to rinse it off and just massage what's left after the shave on your skin and it will act as aftershave.
Well, I honestly find it way better than the regular gel I was using (surprise surprise), but not having tried serious lathering products so far, the comparison is quite reductive. The "aftershave" effect also is very pleasant and the fragrance is delicate. I usually massage it a bit right after the last pass, and when it is absorbed I wash my face with cold water. 

I thought it was an interesting product compared to the others, and maybe it could be useful for traveling purposes, since it can be used as a all-in-one product 

Anyone else has tried this?

0 7
 04-07-2016, 07:01 AM
User Info
Welcome!  

You are on your way.  I have never tried that shave butter so I cannot give you any advice on it.  

When you are ready to start using a brush I think if you will find some inexpensive lathering creams (proraso, palmolive, speick, la toja to name a few) that can be had through any of the fine vendors here and other outlets for not much more, and at times less than that what you paid for the Van Der Hagen.   That and a nice inexpensive boar brush or even a synthetic brush and you will be making great lather in no time.  

The best advice I can for any of this stuff, trying out new razors, trying out new lathering creams, brushes, or soaps is to go slow and stick to it.  You will be shocked what a difference 30 days sticking with something can make.  

Hope to hear from you more.

87 892
 04-07-2016, 10:01 AM
User Info
Welcome to the world of WET SHAVING!!! you will find that once you get your technique down and a good razor and soaps/creams you will be hooked.  Just look at all the post and how much stuff everyone has, it becomes and obsession and you will love it.

IMHO I would stay away from Van Der Hagen there are so many other soaps and creams in that price range that will give you a a much better shave and shave experience.  RazoRock Mudder Focker, RazoRock P.160, the ones that ChromeDome mentioned above and here is one that you can find at any grocery store Nivea Shave Cream for sensitive skin.  Watch Nick Shaves on youtube he does a shave with it 

Just look in the Swap & Shop section a lot of good choices and prices.  Everyone that I have deal with so far has been great to work with and everyone on here has been so helpful as well.

8 147
 04-10-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
Though I haven't tried the Van Der Hagen (VDH) Shave Butter, and after reading some reviews on Amazon, I'm guessing its closer to a Balm in consistency, and has little to no lather, whether a Shave Cream (SC) lathers or not, adding a bit more water prior to applying the Butter should improve slickness and improve the shave.  Any SC will work with or without a Brush, though the Latherless variety are often harder to clean from the brush, two Latherless SCs I like are Stephan Stay Smooth and Trader Joe's "Shave", both are splendid performers during and after the shave, and are comparable in price to the VDH.

That being said, I'd like to offer you a PIF (pay it forward/gift) of an Omega Boar, Vie-Long Natural White Horse Hair and Zenith Best Badger to start off your Shave Den, all are sanitized, lightly used and have been in storage for the past 5 months, a couple of Tallow soaps & a SC will be included.  If you're interested, send your full name & address in a PM, by clicking on my Avatar.

1 180
 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
(04-10-2016, 04:26 PM)TommyGuns59 Wrote: Though I haven't tried the Van Der Hagen (VDH) Shave Butter, and after reading some reviews on Amazon, I'm guessing its closer to a Balm in consistency, and has little to no lather, whether a Shave Cream (SC) lathers or not, adding a bit more water prior to applying the Butter should improve slickness and improve the shave.  Any SC will work with or without a Brush, though the Latherless variety are often harder to clean from the brush, two Latherless SCs I like are Stephan Stay Smooth and Trader Joe's "Shave", both are splendid performers during and after the shave, and are comparable in price to the VDH.

That being said, I'd like to offer you a PIF (pay it forward/gift) of an Omega Boar, Vie-Long Natural White Horse Hair and Zenith Best Badger to start off your Shave Den, all are sanitized, lightly used and have been in storage for the past 5 months, a couple of Tallow soaps & a SC will be included.  If you're interested, send your full name & address in a PM, by clicking on my Avatar.

That is a very kind offer.

87 892
 04-10-2016, 05:40 PM
User Info
Wow that is a really great offer, you should definitely jump on that I know I would if I was you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8 147
 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM
User Info
Thank you all but I have more than I need, I may as well help out a fellow member with a decent assortment to keep him occupied for a few months.  Knocks me down to 12 brushes, 6 a piece for me and my 8 y/o, and still too many soaps & creams... I think a few assorted DE blades can fit in the box as well, it's packed & waiting...  Biggrin

1 180
 04-11-2016, 02:01 AM
User Info
How do you like your horse hair brush.? I have for brushes total to synthetic 1 boar and 1 badger. I like the boar and 2 synthetics but my Badger is a Perfecto and it sheds like my dog so I don't use it anymore I'm just not a fan of it

8 147
 04-11-2016, 03:47 AM
User Info
Wow,
thank you very much!
This will definitely keep me busy for a while and hook me up irreparably to wet shaving!
You guys are the best

0 7
 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM
User Info
(04-11-2016, 02:01 AM)rkrmr Wrote: How do you like your horse hair brush.? I have for brushes total to synthetic 1 boar and 1 badger.  I like the boar and 2 synthetics but my Badger is a Perfecto and it sheds like my dog so I don't use it anymore I'm just not a fan of it

I enjoy Horse Hair very much, and at one point owned/used 10 V-L Horses 4 Nat Whites in Fan & Bulb with lofts of 44-48mm, 4 Nat Browns in Bulb & Fan, lofts between 46-52mm, and a couple cheap Banded ones I'd lend out.  Now I hold at two Horses; a 13066B Nat White Fan, measured @49/23.5mm, and a V-L BarberShop Collection Nat Brown, measured @ 53/24.3mm.

If your looking for a good Silver-tip, I highly recommend the Vie-Long, I own a Faux Ivory Beehive V-L Silver-tip and it bumped my Shavemac Standard to the Storage bin.  The V-L Silver-tip is worth the price, if you're looking into a Shavemac, many love the two-band Silver-tip, I love their Finest Grade myself, very good value compared to the Silver-tip line IMO.

1 180
 04-11-2016, 09:11 AM
User Info
I might look into a horse hair brush

8 147
 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I picked up a tube of this on a whim while at my local drugstore.  I didn't care for it as a stand alone shaving cream, as I don't care for any latherless creams, however it is my favorite pre-shave product and adds a touch of slickness to anything I lather over the top with.  It also leaves the skin nice and soft after the shave as the butters and oils in the blend are very face-friendly.

139 2,680
 04-12-2016, 09:34 PM
User Info
(04-07-2016, 06:47 AM)gmencio Wrote: Hi all!
I am a complete newbie of wet shaving and I approached this world just few weeks ago, looking for gear and techniques that will allow me to shave daily without incurring in the irritation and poor shaving quality that I was obtaining with cartridge razors and electric razor.
I realized that I probably started a bit on the hard way, since I got myself a GEM 1912 and some CVS blades, but I decided to accept the challenge and after the first bloody shave, and thanks to a lot of useful info found on this forum I am now able to shave daily, with an acceptable quality (still plenty of room for improvement, I am just getting to know my own face), and almost without any irritation/nicks. I am currently waiting for my 1st DE to arrive (EJ89) and see how DE shaving feels in comparison.

This looong introduction just to justify you the object of my post: being new to this world I did not want to start with too many variables, so I decided not to buy brush and soap for now and I started off with the gillette fusion gel I had in my cabinet. As soon as this finished I was still confuse by all the differences between soaps, creams, and brushes, but I found an interesting product on the shelf of my superstore (Kroger): the Van Der Hagen Save Butter.

I did not find any other post in this forum regarding it, so I was wondering if any of you has tried a similar product before. 
It is on the expensive side (about $6.50 for 170mL), but the quantity required is not much. Also, I am sure this sounds like a blasphemy to many of you, but they claim you can avoid to rinse it off and just massage what's left after the shave on your skin and it will act as aftershave.
Well, I honestly find it way better than the regular gel I was using (surprise surprise), but not having tried serious lathering products so far, the comparison is quite reductive. The "aftershave" effect also is very pleasant and the fragrance is delicate. I usually massage it a bit right after the last pass, and when it is absorbed I wash my face with cold water. 

I thought it was an interesting product compared to the others, and maybe it could be useful for traveling purposes, since it can be used as a all-in-one product 

Hi,just like you I have recently developed this interest in wet shaving. After doing some research I zeroed on proraso and ordered the entire classic green series of preshave, shave cream and post shave balm. And the journey to a wonderful world of wet shaving began.

It's getting addictive as am building my collection of shaving creams,blams etc.

I would suggest you to begin it with proraso and am sure you are gonna like it too.

The regimen of wet shaving distinguishes men from boys in my opinion and will mark the making of a confident man.

Thanks

1 718
 04-13-2016, 04:30 AM
User Info
(04-12-2016, 09:34 PM)Jags009 Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 06:47 AM)gmencio Wrote: Hi all!

Hi,just like you I have recently developed this     interest in wet shaving. After doing some research I zeroed on proraso and ordered the entire classic green series of preshave, shave cream and post shave balm. And the journey to a wonderful world of wet shaving began.

It's getting addictive as am building my collection of shaving creams,blams etc.

I would suggest you to begin it with proraso and am sure you are gonna like it too.

The regimen of wet shaving distinguishes men from boys in my opinion and will mark the making of a confident man.

Thanks

Being Italian I am quite sure I will end up the Proraso way..I actually have used the shaving cream for time with a cartridge razor several years ago. Loved the cool feeling and the smell, but could not appreciate the lather since I was not yet into this addiction Smile

PS: I still like the feeling that this butter leaves on your skin after the shave!

0 7
 04-13-2016, 07:01 AM
User Info
(04-10-2016, 04:26 PM)TommyGuns59 Wrote: Though I haven't tried the Van Der Hagen (VDH) Shave Butter, and after reading some reviews on Amazon, I'm guessing its closer to a Balm in consistency, and has little to no lather, whether a Shave Cream (SC) lathers or not, adding a bit more water prior to applying the Butter should improve slickness and improve the shave.  Any SC will work with or without a Brush, though the Latherless variety are often harder to clean from the brush, two Latherless SCs I like are Stephan Stay Smooth and Trader Joe's "Shave", both are splendid performers during and after the shave, and are comparable in price to the VDH.

This is why I love this place, how incredibly generous.

To the OP, greetings my friend.  We all got hooked one way or the other.  Mine was getting that first tube of Proraso, and deciding I had to explore further to see what was out there.

13 471
 04-13-2016, 07:13 AM
User Info
Yes we do all get hooked one way or the other. Mine was after I got such an incredibly smooth shave and how my face felt I had to explore other creams and soaps and fragrances. It is so much fun trying the different soaps in the cranes and seeing what you like what you don't like what smells good what doesn't smell good to you.

Have fun with it enjoy yourself get great caves look good feel good smell good. If you come across things that you don't like after you buy them this place is great for that because you can put them up for trade or for sale

8 147
 04-20-2016, 06:56 AM
User Info
Dear all,
thank you for all these suggestions! Particularly thank you to Tommyguns59 for sending me all these products and get me started on this path!!
[Image: cprZNzH.jpg]

0 7
 04-20-2016, 06:58 PM
User Info
I was glad to help, they're a good variety of Brushes; Omega Boar ~8 lathers done, a nice mid-size boar, firm backbone and the tips are beginning to split , Zenith Best Badger ~10 shaves, soft with good scrub, and the V-L Natural White Horse Moderate backbone and soft tips that will soften over time.  have fun with it all.

BTW, use moderate pressure on the Horse, let the tips load and lather with slight splaying of the knot, too much pressure may lead to "doughnut hole"in the center of the hair or tangling of the knot.  You can fix either problem by gently combing the damp/ wet knot, base to tips, with the fine end of a comb... after it dries, you can comb again or rub the tips across a taught towel, a loss of a few hairs may occur, nothing to fear unless it's in clumps Aaaaa

1 180
 04-20-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
Double post 24

1 180