04-07-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
[Image: K4jdQv0.jpg][Image: 3QzrzaA.jpg]I aquired this autostrop awhile back and i am at a loss as to how the blade is changed. I understand that they are meant to be run on a strop however there is no way im using this blade and ive read that modern se blades can be used in them however i cant find anything on changing the blade. Please forgive my ignorance, any help is much appreciated

8 99
 04-07-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
Ive recently fallen in love with my gem micromatics and would love to try this but i dont want to ruin it by messing with it

8 99
 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
You have a Valet Auto-Strop VC1, circa 1922-1927 or so. Be careful cleaning it - the gold plating is very thin.

To remove the blade, hold the razor in your hand and press up with your thumb on the lever on the bottom, opposite the comb. This will move the comb downward and release the blade.

Flip the blade over 180 degrees so the edge is pointing away from the comb and you're looking at the underside of the blade holder. Now grasp the blade and pull it to your left and it will slide out.

You may want to use a pair of pliers on that particular blade, since it likely has been in the razor for a long time.

For blades you can use the Feather FHS blade. This is the same blade now used by the OneBlade razor. You can also use a Gem style blade with the spine removed and the corners clipped.

Loading the blade is the same procedure in reverse. Slide the blade under the blade holder and slide it to the right. It will sort of snap into place. Then flip the blade over so that the edge is resting on the comb and pull the lever down with your thumb. This will raise the comb and the corners of the blade will lock into place in the blade stops. You are ready to shave.

If these directions seem unclear (perish the thought!) just go to YouTube and do a search for "Valet Auto-Strop razor" and you will find a wealth of videos. You will also find a few videos showing exactly how to modify a Gem blade for use in the Auto-Strop.

BTW, the little metal case holding your Auto-Strop is sometimes referred to as the "Coffin case." Smile

Enjoy!

--Bob

0 185
 04-07-2016, 10:26 PM
User Info
And give it up to bob for the save! Much thanks sir! It worked perfectly, i did find videos on how to modify the gem blades however for some reason i could only find videos on removing the blades for the other models, i knew someone here would have the answer and save me from mangling a beautiful razor. I plan to use this every so often but i can imagine the finish is quite thin and honestly couldnt believe how immaculate it was for the price i paid for it. The photos dont do it any justice, it looks as though it was only used a handful of times. And also thank you for the info on the case i thought it was a pretty cool shape and design when i purchased it.

8 99
 04-09-2016, 04:57 AM
User Info
Bob I ruined my first gold plated Auto-Strop, so I second the advise to go very easy on the thin gold plate.

Matt, if you do need to clean it use something non abrasive. Scrubbing Bubbles is the standard that most folks use as their go to cleaner. I give mine a soak in very hot industrial detergent, but dish detergent would also work, then I put the pressure washer to them to get into the crevices and such. The pressure washer I refer to would be a water pik. In the past I used a worn out toothbrush and some toothpaste since that's pretty mild, but the bristles miss spots that the water jet gets into. Water pik it below the surface of a pool of water to prevent a mess from splashing with each pulse of the water jet.

32 6,445