04-08-2016, 01:17 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Vehicle is a 2003 Kia Sedona, front wheel drive. Been having this issue for a couple of months, at least. Have replaced front brakes, stopped for a couple of days and started back up again. New tires, it stopped for a couple of days, and right back at it again.CV joints appear to be good. No movement, boots are in good shape, etc.   It stops for a bit every time I mess with the front wheels(tire change/rotation, brake job, etc).
The video is pretty self explanatory. Vibration is immediately apparent. Noise is clearly heard toward the end of the video, starting around the 4:35 mark. It is not a s loud or as prevalent than before, which is causing some concern that whatever it is is beginning to finally fail.
Any help would be appreciated.

2 1,683
 04-08-2016, 01:23 PM
User Info
How do the wheel bearings look?

0 517
 04-08-2016, 01:27 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Yep, check the wheel bearings and spindle nuts while you're at it...

143 1,984
 04-08-2016, 01:39 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Jack the car up and look for side to side play in the wheel to check the bearings. Also look at the ball joint and tie rods for play.
When you replaced the brakes were the rotors warped?

2 517
 04-08-2016, 01:45 PM
User Info
(04-08-2016, 01:39 PM)vuk Wrote: Jack the car up and look for side to side play in the wheel to check the bearings. Also look at the ball joint and tie rods for play.

Side to side play would be for tie rods, north and south would typically be for bearings, haven't had a chance to listen to the video, will when I get out of work.

28 779
 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM
User Info
(04-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 01:39 PM)vuk Wrote: Jack the car up and look for side to side play in the wheel to check the bearings. Also look at the ball joint and tie rods for play.

Side to side play would be for tie rods, north and south would typically be for bearings, haven't had a chance to listen to the video, will when I get out of work.

Very distinct squeaking, would say more from lateral movement left to right

0 517
 04-08-2016, 05:56 PM
User Info
What's the code from the check engine light?

Also have you checked rotor and bearing temperature post drive? There's so many different sounds going on. If it wasn't vibrating I'd say possible backing plate barely touching the rotor due to rust or warpage. Do you have pulsation when braking? 

Theres also a sound while accelerating that sounds pretty bad, I'm not sure if I'm hearing it correctly but it seems to be when your talking about vibrations. That one almost sounds drive train related but its really hard to hear from the video

28 779
 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM
User Info
Sounds like a Universal-Joint going out...  mine went out during my drivers test when I was a teen... shake, rattle & roll  ;}

0 40
 04-08-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
Check the motor mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 748
 04-09-2016, 03:44 AM
User Info
Warped rotors can cause vibration. If they are out of round and still have enough meat left on them cutting them is a good idea.

121 13,121
 04-09-2016, 05:36 AM
User Info
(04-08-2016, 06:48 PM)easttexas Wrote: Sounds like a Universal-Joint going out...  mine went out during my drivers test when I was a teen... shake, rattle & roll  ;}
The sedona with front wheel drive won't have traditional ujoints like say a 4wd truck, however it should have a driveshaft universal
(04-08-2016, 07:38 PM)G man Wrote: Check the motor mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan
The vibration could possibly be a motor mount but it wouldnt create the rhythmic scraping type noise 
(04-09-2016, 03:44 AM)slantman Wrote: Warped rotors can cause vibration. If they are out of round and still have enough meat left on them cutting them is a good idea.

Warped rotors would be more likely to cause that vibration while braking, but they could possibly cause that rhythmic noise, pair it with a caliper that's sticking or leaking fluid you could get that nice vibration and rhythmic noise.

28 779
 04-16-2016, 11:08 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thought I would update this thread. Many thanks to everyone who chimed in!
It was the right front CV axle. Changed it out today, and van is running down the road smooth and quiet.
Much appreciated all of you!

2 1,683
 04-16-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
Great to hear, Mike! Thumbsup

83 21,077
 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Good to hear, Mike.  Did you do the work yourself?

178 23,809
 04-16-2016, 03:42 PM
User Info
Well done Mike! Nothing worse than a problem with the vehicle you cant diagnose. glad to hear you got it sorted.

0 517
 04-16-2016, 03:46 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen!

(04-16-2016, 03:37 PM)Johnny Wrote: Good to hear, Mike.  Did you do the work yourself?

Mostly. I had a bit of help from a friend. Would have been much more difficult without his guidance and wisdom.

2 1,683
 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
(04-16-2016, 03:46 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Thank you, gentlemen!

(04-16-2016, 03:37 PM)Johnny Wrote: Good to hear, Mike.  Did you do the work yourself?

Mostly. I had a bit of help from a friend. Would have been much more difficult without his guidance and wisdom.

Just as an FYI, you lose a bit of urgancy  when you don't respond for a week after asking mechanics to help you then respond with the solutions. No worries and I'm glad you figured this out but it would prevent those of us in the field from following the thread and helping out if its more of just hey guys here's my issue with with no response but a week later with the solution

28 779
 04-16-2016, 04:49 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-16-2016, 04:26 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:

Just as an FYI, you lose a bit of urgancy  when you don't respond for a week after asking mechanics to help you then respond with the solutions. No worries and I'm glad you figured this out but it would prevent those of us in the field from following the thread and helping out if its more of just hey guys here's my issue with with no response but a week later with the solution
There was no response for a week because there was no money for a week, and because I had to wait until my friend and I could get together so he could help me with hands on.
Unless those in this thread, mechanics included, could actually physically be here and see and hear in person what was going on with the vehicle, I figure the responses I got was pretty much the best anyone could do long distance. Until something changed (ie; I actually was able to do some work on the vehicle), there really wasn't any response I might have made.
You got it a week later because it was a week later before I was able to do anything else.
I took all of the advice in this thread into consideration, and did what I was able to with what I had.
I appreciate everyone who chimed in and did their best to help.
Thanks again!

2 1,683
 04-16-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
(04-16-2016, 04:49 PM)SRNewb Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 04:26 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:

There was no response for a week because there was no money for a week, and because I had to wait until my friend and I could get together so he could help me with hands on.
Unless those in this thread, mechanics included, could actually physically be here and see and hear in person what was going on with the vehicle, I figure the responses I got was pretty much the best anyone could do long distance. Until something changed (ie; I actually was able to do some work on the vehicle), there really wasn't any response I might have made.
You got it a week later because it was a week later before I was able to do anything else.
I took all of the advice in this thread into consideration, and did what I was able to with what I had.
Thanks again!

Excellent response Mike! I know that situation all too well and am fully happy you were able to rectify the situation with your vehicle! Sometimes these situations can be quite the pain in the behind and I'm glad it was nothing too serious. I imagine the CV joint was a reasonable repair with the guidance of a friend

28 779
 04-16-2016, 05:52 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-16-2016, 05:32 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 04:49 PM)SRNewb Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 04:26 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Just as an FYI, you lose a bit of urgancy  when you don't respond for a week after asking mechanics to help you then respond with the solutions. No worries and I'm glad you figured this out but it would prevent those of us in the field from following the thread and helping out if its more of just hey guys here's my issue with with no response but a week later with the solution
Thanks again!

Excellent response Mike! I know that situation all too well and am fully happy you were able to rectify the situation with your vehicle! Sometimes these situations can be quite the pain in the behind and I'm glad it was nothing too serious. I imagine the CV joint was a reasonable repair with the guidance of a friend
Thanks!

2 1,683