04-08-2016, 05:22 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/experts-say-essential-oils-can-pose-dangerous-health-risks/ar-BBrwmxY?...

There is a page covering skin application. I'd take this with a grain of salt, except my doctor has me on a low sodium diet.

2 3,171
 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
As usual, headlines are written for maximum impact and shock value.  It's true, essential oils are very concentrated and just because they're "natural" doesn't mean they can be used with impunity.  Improperly used essential oils can definitely pose health risks: some oils have serious contraindications and shouldn't be used at all, and they should all be diluted appropriately before applying to the skin.  Some people use pure essential oils as perfumes but they are risking permanent allergic reactions, or sun damage (in the case of citrus oils).  But essential oils care used in lots of good ways, from food flavoring to medicines.  I'm personally opposed to the multi-level marketing scam of selling overpriced essential oils as a panacea for all illnesses and conditions.  That poses a danger to your wallet, as well as your health.

0 281
 04-08-2016, 08:06 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
In my horsetraining days an older 5 gaited Saddlebred came my way from an abusive stable. I was sorting him out when a dressage trainer decided his spontaneous break into the 'racking gate' one day was a sign of distress and unnatural. She called in a animal psychic friend who 'talked' to my horse. She claimed he was unbalanced in his chakras and tried to sell me 5 Homeopathic Bach oils. I replied he was already receiving an ancient Celtic herbal regimen. Fascinated, she asked to see it. I opened two Guinness Stouts, poured one into a equal pint of grain and drank the other. We then racked on out of the barn, a visiting  SB trainer explaining what a rack was to my two experts. That 20 y/o horse lived another 12 years in his barn teaching kids  Park Seat riding.
Reminds forum MW is not to be consumed no matter how delicious it smells.

2 3,171
 04-08-2016, 08:40 PM
User Info
Another lovely anecdote, Chris. Smile

83 21,115
 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM
User Info
(04-08-2016, 07:37 PM)Mystic Water Wrote: As usual, headlines are written for maximum impact and shock value. 
+1, all too often that's the case.
I try to look at the big picture, which includes weighing the benefits and (pragmatic) risks.

0 530
 04-09-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
i use essential oils in my soaps and have had no issues.  Sage, however, is quite overpowering if you use too much

0 173
 04-09-2016, 09:39 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Try attending a 'sweat' with a 1/64- 63/64 Winnebago/Italian plastic indian charging $50 to choke on 6 sacred bundles of sage from the local New Age bookstore. We got our money back when a real holy man ( Cahuilla) pulled a knife 24

2 3,171
 04-09-2016, 10:01 AM
User Info
Bach remedies aren't essential oils, but point taken.  I like the Celtic remedy myself, hold the grain, please!  Wink

An example of how dosage matters in these cases:  an elderly neighbor has been drinking a tea made with fresh ginger, which is good for nausea.  "Someone" told her she wasn't making it properly and advised her to use much, much more of the root in her preparation.  She did - and ended up in the emergency room for the equivalent of internal chemical burns.  Moderation is sometimes the difference between something being good or bad for you.

0 281
 04-09-2016, 11:32 AM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 10:01 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: Bach remedies aren't essential oils, but point taken.  I like the Celtic remedy myself, hold the grain, please!  Wink

An example of how dosage matters in these cases:  an elderly neighbor has been drinking a tea made with fresh ginger, which is good for nausea.  "Someone" told her she wasn't making it properly and advised her to use much, much more of the root in her preparation.  She did - and ended up in the emergency room for the equivalent of internal chemical burns.  Moderation is sometimes the difference between something being good or bad for you.

So true Michelle...moderation is key in life! Now to practice more what I preach...incidentally, did you get my soap order yet? Smile

0 650
 04-09-2016, 12:35 PM
User Info
Yes I did.  Smile  Thank you.

0 281
 04-09-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 09:39 AM)kav Wrote: Try attending a 'sweat' with a 1/64- 63/64 Winnebago/Italian plastic indian charging $50 to choke on 6 sacred bundles of sage from the local New Age bookstore. We got our money back when a real holy man ( Cahuilla) pulled a knife 24
Doubt

39 3,957
 04-09-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 04:43 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(04-09-2016, 09:39 AM)kav Wrote: Try attending a 'sweat' with a 1/64- 63/64 Winnebago/Italian plastic indian charging $50 to choke on 6 sacred bundles of sage from the local New Age bookstore. We got our money back when a real holy man ( Cahuilla) pulled a knife 24
Doubt

24 Indeed.....

61 3,796
 04-09-2016, 05:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Asiliski commented on the potency of sage. I recounted an incident involving a 'plastic indian' making money off the gullible and other people's culture. I checked him out with a friend; former AIM activist, recognized holyman of the Cahuilla nation; a California tribe. We're gasping for air in this plastic tarp sweat lodge exasperated by at least 6 sage purification bundles when one is enough for blessing large pow wows. My friend asks a few questions and got the 'my spirit guide is the wolf and yes, California Indians played LaCross and I'm not on any rolls because my people hid in the mountains until 1950'  storyline. Uh huh and my Holyman pulled his knife, got our money back and told our friend to get a real job if he wanted to leave the desert alive.
Sage is lovely, and sacred in small amounts. To much and it becomes profane.

2 3,171
 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM
User Info
OK

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

26 9
 04-10-2016, 11:58 AM
User Info
 04-10-2016, 01:43 PM
User Info
(04-08-2016, 07:37 PM)Mystic Water Wrote: As usual, headlines are written for maximum impact and shock value.  It's true, essential oils are very concentrated and just because they're "natural" doesn't mean they can be used with impunity.  Improperly used essential oils can definitely pose health risks: some oils have serious contraindications and shouldn't be used at all, and they should all be diluted appropriately before applying to the skin.  Some people use pure essential oils as perfumes but they are risking permanent allergic reactions, or sun damage (in the case of citrus oils).  But essential oils care used in lots of good ways, from food flavoring to medicines.  I'm personally opposed to the multi-level marketing scam of selling overpriced essential oils as a panacea for all illnesses and conditions.  That poses a danger to your wallet, as well as your health.

Shannon says "+1".  And she's especially disheartened when the MLM sellers advocate cooking with the essential oils, or when people use questionable ones around their small children and then wonder why they have constant respiratory illnesses.  Sad

0 1,099