04-09-2016, 10:31 AM
User Info
Hey all,

I'm looking to trade my Paladin "Lemon Drop" Sumo in Ken's new Select badger for a Wiborg White Badger. I prefer 26-28mm fan knots. 
Not too picky on handle material or style so I'm open to any offers!

Edit: I would also trade for any Varlet brush, especilly the Mega!! 

I know there is a little bit of price difference between the two brushes so if you feel the need I would be more than happy to work out the difference.

Thanks all.

[Image: 13w62P5.jpg]

[Image: E4S9MSz.jpg]

[Image: panoody.jpg]

[Image: Xk7DoVz.jpg]

[Image: bh5cM0O.jpg]

11 489
 04-09-2016, 07:22 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
MSG Sent

74 1,512
 04-10-2016, 12:40 PM
User Info
For those who have messaged me, thanks for the interest but not looking to sell right now.

11 489
 04-16-2016, 05:39 AM
User Info
Bump!

11 489
 04-17-2016, 04:48 PM
User Info
If you're unable to trade, please PM if you decide to sell.  Thanks.

6 199
 04-23-2016, 06:47 AM
User Info
Bump! Would also trade for a Varlet brush!

11 489
 04-23-2016, 07:59 AM
User Info
Wilborg have not updated they're website in 18 months...I have emailed them a dozen times there is never a response...hard to find brush.

5 139
 04-26-2016, 05:05 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
There were only 5 at big shave west 2 and they were gone in 20 minutes...I personally didn't like them and sold the two I had. As for Varlet, you might have better luck contacting them, but I think the list is closed now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

74 1,512
 04-26-2016, 05:19 PM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 05:05 PM)Crag Wrote: There were only 5 at big shave west 2 and they were gone in 20 minutes...I personally didn't like them and sold the two I had.  As for Varlet, you might have better luck contacting them, but I think the list is closed now.

Hi Matt, I was there and saw a few Wiborgs in the case, but didn't check prices.  I'm guessing those are the ones you mention.  I did check one of the M&Fs and it was $400! 

Alex

11 973
 04-26-2016, 06:30 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Old Towne at Stats is pretty famous for buying up brushes on forums for cheap and re-listing for a huge markup.

10 757
 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 06:30 PM)grantmm Wrote: Old Towne at Stats is pretty famous for buying up brushes on forums for cheap and re-listing for a huge markup.

Is that who had the wiborgs for sale?

12 90
 04-26-2016, 07:15 PM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 06:35 PM)stromi09 Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 06:30 PM)grantmm Wrote: Old Towne at Stats is pretty famous for buying up brushes on forums for cheap and re-listing for a huge markup.

Is that who had the wiborgs for sale?

I called once as I am in that neck of the woods every few month, the clerk told me that the owner/manager keeps a stash of M&F/Wilborg's in his office for private clients. I too have tried for over a year to contact Wilborg and they simply do not respond. A few months ago on FB they stated they were busy making private orders.

I also have a new Paladin that I was holding onto for the exact same reason...Wilborg or Varlet...guess great minds think alike but it might be to no avail.

5 139
 04-26-2016, 07:17 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I checked out their Wiborgs and they were all priced in the $350+ range!

Eric

48 976
 04-26-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 07:17 PM)EricM Wrote: I checked out their Wiborgs and they were all priced in the $350+ range!

Eric

They are pricey to be sure...they have nice looking handles...the black ones on their website are amazing.

Truth be told I would be better off contacting Rudy, telling him the style I want copied, have him do it in high black gloss with a shavemac knot and it would probably be just as good if not better for 60% less.

5 139
 04-26-2016, 07:34 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(04-26-2016, 05:19 PM)surfshaver Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 05:05 PM)Crag Wrote: There were only 5 at big shave west 2 and they were gone in 20 minutes...I personally didn't like them and sold the two I had.  As for Varlet, you might have better luck contacting them, but I think the list is closed now.

Hi Matt, I was there and saw a few Wiborgs in the case, but didn't check prices.  I'm guessing those are the ones you mention.  I did check one of the M&Fs and it was $400! 

Alex
The white one was $370, and the Black one was $350.  I passed even though I know Jon would have bought one from me, but the knots looked funny to me, and I didn't want him to be dissatisfied.  Always better to wait for what you want rather than settle for what's available, IMO.

Yep, back in December I went in with my dad to see what they had in stock (and to get my dad another soap) and he had a M&F 3/2 in Faux Ebony for $300 - it had a crooked knot to my eye.  Not a horrible price, but not what I'd call inexpensive, either.  If I'm going to spend $300 I'd get a Simpson Manchurian.  I took in a Somerset PJ3 in Super 2-band and he offered me $250, but I passed on it.  I think he is a shrewd business man.  He's also a really nice guy to talk to and doesn't pressure or rush you out of his store if you don't buy right off the bat, so maybe it's worth it to have a cool guy to talk to while you leisurely spend a Saturday shopping for your favorite hobby stuff.  I also know he makes great deals on occasion, too.  For instance, last year I went to buy a Penhaligon's Sartorial Soap and EdT for my dad and to get XPEC for myself.  He whacked like 35% right off the top without me even asking for it, so there you go.  Plus he gave me like 25 blades to try and let me sniff just about everything in his store...top it off that he invited me to try a coffee he was brewing in his boutique, but I passed on it.  He chatted with my dad for over an hour about music and golf and stuff to pass the time while I shopped.  Overall he is a nice man, IMO, but he is shrewd, too.  Big Shave West 2 was a fun event, but really just a way to get shoppers in his store and on his site.

74 1,512
 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Satan was the most beautifull of God's angels. Cornering the market on a allegedly premium brush for 'private clients' smacks of the class exclusivity that is blinking like a deer in the headlights of social change we are witnessing. All that's missing is a snifter of equally rare brandy and Illuminati handshakes. How lovely; and another desirable brush who's maker is trying to supply a willing market becomes  mere speculative investment with no appreciation for it's own intrinsic value.

2 3,171
 04-26-2016, 08:37 PM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 07:56 PM)kav Wrote: Satan was the most beautifull of God's angels. Cornering the market on a allegedly premium brush for 'private clients' smacks of the class exclusivity that is blinking like a deer in the headlights of social change we are witnessing. All that's missing is a snifter of equally rare brandy and Illuminati handshakes. How lovely; and another desirable brush who's maker is trying to supply a willing market becomes  mere speculative investment with no appreciation for it's own intrinsic value.

It seems we're fast approaching Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age; in a world in which everything can be 3-D printed/fabricated/cloned, the most valuable things will be items created and crafted by human hands.

11 973
 04-27-2016, 07:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I'm ignorant. Who is this 1%er of the shaving community controlling why bother Wiburgs brush availability and inducing people to speculate on Paladins they have no intention of using in hope of trading up?

2 3,171
 04-27-2016, 08:10 AM
User Info
(04-27-2016, 07:01 AM)kav Wrote: I'm ignorant. Who is this 1%er of the shaving community controlling why bother Wiburgs brush availability and inducing people to speculate on Paladins they have no intention of using in hope of trading up?

I don't think people are necessarily thinking a Wilborg or a M&F are at a different level than the Paladin's where it would be a "trade up" they may be different but quality wise from what I have seen from Ken's shop Paladin's are every bit quality as the best brushes in the world and could stand toe to toe with any of them.

Rightly or wrongly the M&F have somehow reached mythical levels of quality while the Wilborg's seem to be a unicorn.

I have 2 Paladin's I picked up...I may or may not use one of them; I purchased it with the intent of using it but I am not totally in love with the coloration of the handle. At the time of purchase in which I had to sit on the internet for 4 hours like a squatter waiting for the color/style combo to come up I purchased quickly without paying huge amounts of attention on the handle details.

Come to find out several even on this board had that same brush in they're carts when I hit pay; it was like internet football to just get one of these as they were selling as fast as they went up. If I would have had all the time in the world (ie buying a Simpson/Thater/Shavemac) perhaps I would of purchased a different color.

For $180 bucks, before I use it I am going to make darn sure I want to keep it; my 2nd Paladin (Disco Sumo) I bought on a whim and absolutely love the little guy.

5 139
 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
AZ I'm not making any accusations. Nothing is keeping anyone from buying Paladins for whatever reason.  When you see the Paladins pop up for resale almost immediately or read about hoped for trade deals with some sharp businessman who makes coffee it can leave some folks with a bad taste in their mouths. Just for everyone's curiosity, who is this dealer of Wiburgs? Is there a website? I've met his peers in other pursuits; firearm collectors, oriental rug dealers etc. It gets disheartening when the playing field isn't level and people's motives easily misconstrued.

2 3,171