04-09-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
My '56 Flare Tip has end caps that pop out a bit on one end when I tighten closed.  Both end caps, one end popping out on each side of the razor.  Otherwise they open and close smoothly and doors are even.  It's my understanding that these were soldered on so, 

1.  Can they be resoldered successfully or do they tend to keep popping off?
2.  How tight do you Super Speed owners usually go?  (I usually tighten them fully, but perhaps they were not supposed to be that tight).
3.  Has anyone experienced this and what's the best fix?

1 227
 04-10-2016, 07:13 AM
User Info
Pretty sure they can be reattached successfully.  

I tighten the SS just until it is snug and it is holding the blade firmly.  

Can't help you with the third question.  Sorry.

2 1,459
 04-10-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
Can we see photos of it open and closed?

4 180
 04-12-2016, 03:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'll bet the folks at Razor Emporium can fix that pretty easily. Give them a call or send an email, they can advise you.

7 2,142
 04-12-2016, 11:32 AM
  • mlzettl
  • Artisan
  • Morehead City, NC
User Info
The end caps on a SS are very easy to re-solder. All you need is some solder, and one of those little Butane torches. One could probably use a regular propane torch, or a soldering gun as well. It doesn't take much heat to do this. First, clean off the underside of the end cap using a small knife, screw driver, or whatever until you see bright metal. Do the same on the the hinge wings. Take some thin solder and hammer the end flat, and with a small pair of snips, cut a couple of 2-3 mm squares of solder. With the razor on its side, place one square of the solder on each wing, then carefully place the end cap on top. Start the torch, and place the tip of the flame on the end cap while gently pushing down with a small screwdriver or awl, taking care not to knock the end cap off. It takes only seconds for the solder to liquify, and you can feel the end cap settle into place. The heat from the torch is not enough to discolor the nickel plating. Let it cool for a minute or two, then check to be sure that it is secure. If it is not, give it another go. It doesn't take long to get a feel for it. 

I've done dozens of these this way, and once you get the hang of it it is very easy.

Hope this helps.

Matt

0 62
 04-13-2016, 10:40 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info,  I'll give the home solder method a try.

1 227