04-10-2016, 07:16 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
After looking at all the posts on HMW softness, and large brushes, I went and ordered up a 30 MM from Larry. My only larger brush is a Vie Long Flat Top at 24 mm, which acts bigger than it is. Conditioned it Friday, and broke it out today for use with MDC. What a pleasure! Very smooth operator, the lather stayed nice and warm, and the brush released well. Larry suggested I set it 5 mm down, so it is a brush with a very good backbone, with pillowy tips. I'll have to take a picture, because the bloom is massive. Only downside is that my drip stands don't fit! Another reason to order more shave stuff!

19 742
 04-10-2016, 07:23 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Chris and, of course, we need pics. Thumbsup

83 21,081
 04-10-2016, 08:46 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Congrats! I have one also: 24mmx50mm. FYI-Larry's is not a HMW, but a High Mountain. I wish he would use another description.

[Image: Olivewood-%20WD%20HM_zpsf8gqkstv.jpg]
[Image: SOTD%201-27-16_zpshszqwacf.jpg]

4 2,767
 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
(04-10-2016, 08:46 AM)Coyote Wrote: Congrats! I have one also: 24mmx50mm. FYI-Larry's is not a HMW, but a High Mountain. I wish he would use another description.

[Image: Olivewood-%20WD%20HM_zpsf8gqkstv.jpg]
[Image: SOTD%201-27-16_zpshszqwacf.jpg]

Great looking brush. I have a question concerning knots and sincerely appreciate in-put. What is the difference between a High Mountain White (HMW) and a High Mountain (HM)? I ordered one of Larry's HMW knots and set it in to a restored Made-Rite 100. I love this knot. It is good with soft soaps as well as creams using a scuttle and feels great on my face. However, there has been considerable discussion on another shave forum concerning the "authenticity" of Larry's knot being a HMW.....that it is not a true HMW. I am not getting hung-up in semantics, but sincerely am trying to understand the difference between a "HMW" and a "HM" knot.

Thanks for helping me understand the difference.

Ed

22 752
 04-13-2016, 05:25 AM
User Info
Not too sure of Whipped Dog knot grading, but "white" in the context of a knot grade generally indicates a white tips to the hair. There is no objective standard for this. Real sticklers might say that "true" white comes only from certain badgers and is not treated/bleached to artificially whiten the tips. This type of true "white" hair is often less soft (and less white) than the treated hair, which makes the topic even more confusing. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-13-2016, 06:23 AM
User Info
I have read so much on badger grades and where it comes from that you get cross eyed.  I made a three brush limited edition set with Larry's HMW knots and while they are decent knots I was not as convinced they are as supple as for instance a quality black badger I source from another vendor.  In fact of the three knots from WD two were somewhat coarse but not offensive and the third was rather soft.  A big difference from the one to the other two for sure. 

But I do know in time of use they soften up so that is what one can look forward to.  Who really knows because I would say almost 100% of these knots that are even sold in the US by businesses all come from China.  But here was a decent article I read some time back trying to differentiate the types:

Badger knots decsribed

0 413
 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
My understanding is all the knots even the high end brands get the badger hair from China, with the exception of Da Vinci where I believe they get them from Turkey. You know with Lee and guys like Bernd your going to get top quality no matter where the animal came from.

5 139