07-22-2012, 11:36 AM
User Info
Do you guys prefer longer/higher lofts with silvertip than say grey badger? What about silvertip v. two band? Etc.

Or does the loft not matter too much to you when using a "stiffer" hair?

9 2,988
 07-22-2012, 11:44 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
With silvertip,3 band soft hair,I would prefer lofts under 50 mm
For 2 band badger hair,I would prefer lofts over 50 mm.

86 7,123
 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It also depends on how tightly packed the knot is and the diameter of the knot. I generally face lather so prefer the loft to be relatively short to moderate in height.

45 16,340
 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
I'm a hardcore face latherer. I also tend not to overthink at least some things. With brushes I tend to give a passing or failing grade only and use the passing brushes so as to make it work.

Clearly I have no preference for hair quality and size of the brush. I do have preferences of brush size because of the face lathering bit, tending to like smaller brushes than most bowl latherers would like.

One thing to consider is that the brush factories control to a large extent what's available in different grades. I hope that's because they tested things and decided that's what works best. Does anyone make a 40mm lofted brush in a Super Silvertip?

32 6,309
 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM
User Info
(07-22-2012, 12:30 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Does anyone make a 40mm lofted brush in a Super Silvertip?

Yup. Simpsons in the Major & the Case. 18mm knot diameter though.

I suppose the manufacturer could just tweak the density of the knot to make the loft work throughout their model line. Didn't give that much thought.

9 2,988
 07-22-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
i enjoy the shorter lofts with all brushes; 48mm or less, but do not mind longer ones if it works well such as the Semogue boars.

75 20,883
 07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I think 2 band leaves the most margin for error considering loft. Silver tip is probably next, the last two, Grade A silver tip and super silver tip, density will probably be as critical as loft for feel. This isn't meant to minimize density's importance in all knots but I think the last 2 need it the most. I do prefer shorter lofts with the 3 silver tips, the last 2 being the shortest.

12 743
 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
A 2:1 ratio is good to me. I don't go more than 2.1:1. Most of my brushes are less than 2:1 ratio. Especially my 2 bands.

8 118
 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Difference in loft provides for differences in experience across the same grade of hair. A 3 band long lofted knot is going to feel different to that same hair grade with a short loft. Plisson HMW and Simpsons Manchurian for example use a similar strength hair, but due to loft (and density) the two feel like rather different brushes. The stronger hairs and 2 band knots are capable of performing well with longer lofts. The longer loft equates to more hair, a softer feel (due to reduced resistance from the individual hairs) and a more luxurious feel (IMO). Bowl lathers tend to utilise longer lofts than face lathers, but this is simply a generalisation and not a rule. The only time I recall questioning loft was on an exceptionally short lofted 2 band D01 Shavemac - it was just too short for me (and provided an experience that I liken to lathering with a toothbrush - it just felt like they had scrimped on the hair!). I've owned a few Rooney Finest with exceptionally long lofts, well over 60mm and expected, at a ratio of around 3 to 1 that this would provide for a disappointing mop like experience - I was wrong!

In summary loft needs to compliment the hair grade (the more strength to the individual hairs or the roughness of the tips are characteristics that would encourage a longer loft), but also the user requirements are going to influence loft choice. Generally if you enjoy a more exfoliating experience you are likely to choose shorter lofts. A short loft may also provide the user with more feeling of control (although I prefer large brushes and have never had an issue with keeping the lather where I wanted it). I don't think there is a magic formula when considering loft, just individual preferences which should not only dictate choice of loft but also density and hair grade...

91 17,850
 07-24-2012, 12:08 AM
User Info
Great reply there Ben. I couldn't agree more.

I've had the feeling of too short loft. It was a chubby 1 I had around 2 years back. It had a 43-44mm loft. It was a nightmare. Not quite toothbrush but due to the density, it was hard for the brush to fill up with lather. It just used to push it round my face!

7 1,179
 07-24-2012, 01:39 AM
User Info
All down to personal preference, i dont like a knot bigger than 26mm, so working off that i would never go above 50mm loft, then it all depends on how densely the knot is, but a 24mm knot in the better known brush ranges for me i would go with a 48mm knot, so between 48mm and 50mm is my perfect brush.

Jamie.

5 1,807
 07-24-2012, 01:51 AM
User Info
I love a 22/50mm knot.

Perfect set up for me.

1 630
 07-24-2012, 03:12 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info