04-12-2016, 06:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
There must be fans on TSN - let's see where this takes us. It could be fascinating (Wink).

Hector brought up Tribbles elsewhere... Nowadays when I think of Tribbles, what comes to mind is the episode where they spliced old footage into new some 25, 30 years later. It was kind of goofy. But then again, Star Trek always had a campy thing going on.

HRFDEZ WROTE: Wrote:
CHAZT WROTE: Wrote:
KAV WROTE: Wrote:laird high muckety muck; defender of the faith and small furry animals and guardian of the sacred chalice.

Star Trek TNG fan?

[Image: 24.gif]  I was always fond of TOS.....Got to love those Tribbles.

Besides Tribbles, what about that Loixana Troi? She was one whacky character!

4 1,922
 04-12-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
That was Enterprise I think.

Captain Archer.

7 1,314
 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-12-2016, 06:27 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: That was Enterprise I think.

Captain Archer.

Could be... are you sure, though? My burnt out brain is a bit hazy. I liked Archer. Interesting premise, interesting crew. Awful soundtrack.

4 1,922
 04-12-2016, 06:50 PM
User Info
Pretty sure.

I liked it a little, but they spent too much time being preachy for my taste and the story about the expanse was too drawn out, arched for too long, and was tied up too quickly for me. Deus ex machina. Like they ran out of seasons or found out the budget ran out. It kind of just suddenly turned into the end of the long drawn out complicated story way too easily to be satisfying.

Now Star Gate. That's a Sci Fi show!

I just watched all of Atlantis on Amazon Prime. 5 seasons I think. Took me like four weeks and burned through my data cap streaming it, but that was fun. Hadn't seen that since it was on TV.

I liked the original Star Gate series too. Didn't care for the Universe spin off too much though.

My favorite Star Trek was TNG. The Next Generation for you anti-abbreviation guys.

I liked it a lot when I was a kid, and even more when I re-watched it as reruns.

I mean the original series was only like 50 or 60 episodes right? Shame it was so short, but TNG was on for a long time. 

I used to watch the cartoon in the 80's with Kirk and Spock and the original cast too. That was awesome.
The movies were Ok I guess. Kirk's hairpiece was different in every one. Too distracting. Then Kirsty Alley is a Vulcan, but then she's too cool to reprise the role? C'mon- just create a new character then... I don't care for that when we're supposed to just accept a different actor as an already established character. Game of Thrones did that recently and it irritated me then too.

I didn't care for the TNG movies too much though. 

TNG before Riker grew a beard was the best if you ask me. Loved that there were more women and kids onboard. Families and aliens. More variety and story lines. Troi's mother was AWESOME. Forget her name. The actress was Gene Rodenberry's wife. She was a nurse on the original series too. Majel? maybe. Thought she was hilarious flirting with Picard all the time and arguing with her daughter through telepathy. And her BUTLER! Hahaha.... So funny.

Deep Space Nine was alright. Too preachy like I said, not my favorite thing. Kind of more serious and dark show.

Star Trek Voyager was cool. Except it seemed to be seriously stretched on budget. the SFX (special effects) were not so special...

I like sci fi more then I thought I guess.

Blush

7 1,314
 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
The Tribbles they recreated on DS9 and Enterprise.. I got a kick out of both those episodes, and I bet they will show up again

2 59
 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM
User Info
I thought the opening credits/music of Enterprise was a nice change of pace from the usual bombastic overture and captured the early years spirit just right. The series though lost its way after a couple seasons, which is why the storyline was retooled -- but by then it was too late. The downfall actually began sometime during the mid-run of Voyager -- it had become a very tired and tiring saga after the zenith of TNG and DS9. The new TV series, what little is known about it, is getting early positive buzz, so there may be hope. Star Trek belongs on TV.

29 1,776
 04-12-2016, 07:20 PM
User Info
I used to watch Star Trek on late night TV in the waning 1960s.  Now I just see this blade bank each week when I deposit my used blade.  But it's a nice reminder.
[Image: 6Z50ti1.jpg][Image: OvamIJ6.jpg]

206 12,189
 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Q

Trelaine

4 1,922
 04-12-2016, 08:33 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Every story of the human condition was penned in the ancient world. Achilles dragging Hector's body behind his chariot around the walls of Troy foretold everything but tie in marketing of  Klingon figurines and obligatory Nazis and discrediting Homer by later hack writers  to timid to drag their own slain Hectors around the walls of Academia and pop culture.

2 3,171
 04-13-2016, 02:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
kav, The Epic of Gilgamesh is the mother of every story ever written.

Wink

4 1,922
 04-13-2016, 03:52 AM
User Info
[Image: 20z4enq.jpg]
[Image: ar0qb.jpg]

I have been a Trekkie since the beginning. My den is loaded with Star Trek stuff. From an Original Series phaser to Hallmark ornaments hanging from the ceiling. From the Star Trek Trivia cards to the Star Trek Monoploy game to the Star Trek Catan game and the Star Trek Uno game. At one point, years ago, I had an original series uniform that I wore when the first Star Trek Movie came out. If I had to pick a favorite series, I would pick the original first, then Voyager next. I think TOS and VOY both had similar concepts and both explored the galaxy on the cutting edge. TNG and DS9 had too much contact with Starfleet to make it enjoyable to me and as for ENT, let's just not go there.
As for other sci-fi series, Stargate SG-1 and SG Atlantis were 2 of my favorites. I also enjoyed Stargate Universe. I think my all time favorite TV series was Firefly.

0 26
 04-13-2016, 06:21 AM
User Info
I loved both the original and the Next Generation series, with the latter being my preferred one.  Thumbup

82 21,056
 04-13-2016, 07:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-13-2016, 06:21 AM)celestino Wrote: I loved both the original and the Next Generation series, with the latter being my preferred one.  Thumbup

I agree. Kind of like 1A and 1B.

As hrairy pointed out above, STV remained true to Roddenberry's original vision of "Hornblower journeys through space". I'd make it 1C Smile

4 1,922
 04-13-2016, 07:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The Epic of Gilgamesh is the oldest surviving written story, and isn't it ironic from the fertile Crescent with a peaceful resolution considering today's externally imposed slaughter unsought by City State or Wildman. While our English accent, Earl Grey drinking French Captain Picard quoted him in one episode, the rest came down to Problem resolution of Achilles dragging Hector around the city walls. No, the oldest oral traditions still survive deeply buried. The OLDEST art consists of the Southern French and Spanish painted caves. This was when we KNOW mankind was self conscious and defining it's place in the cosmos.
And, I would point out that world of Wooly Rhinocerous, cave lions, Mastadons etc are gone from climate change and overhunting.
If posters wish to go looking for fights they should come heeled or risk being dragged like Hector around the city walls. To quote another English actor playing a Klingon  " Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war" and "If you prick us, do we not bleed"?  I am taking the Klingon custom of slapping my arms around my chest and turning my back. it's called the ignore feature and King Priam can claim the body.

2 3,171
 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I love TOS, not so much with TNG or the recent movies... too many recycled stories!
I liked Enterprise... I don't think they were given enough time to really flesh out the story arc.

2 447
 04-13-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
Shannon surprised me with Season 1 of Enterprise for my birthday. As a series, it had its problems, but I like it.

0 1,053
 04-13-2016, 10:48 AM
User Info
I am a TOS fan.  I have all the seasons original and HD, all the movies, and have several actual movie props.  I'll have to dig them out and share some pictures.  I am a good friend of Richard Coyle, he designed all the weapon props for Star Trek The Motion Picture among others.  He also designed the Logan's Run Sandman blaster and the Blade Runner handgun. 

I have so many items that I didn't have room to displayed them, so I have to carefully box them and put them in my basement.  I attended several conventions in Vegas, those were fun. 

My favorite chapter is Mirror, Mirror!

61 3,796
 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-13-2016, 07:32 AM)kav Wrote: The Epic of Gilgamesh is the oldest surviving written story, and isn't it ironic from the fertile Crescent with a peaceful resolution considering today's externally imposed slaughter unsought by City State or Wildman. While our English accent, Earl Grey drinking French Captain Picard quoted him in one episode, the rest came down to Problem resolution of Achilles dragging Hector around the city walls. No, the oldest oral traditions still survive deeply buried. The OLDEST art consists of the Southern French and Spanish painted caves. This was when we KNOW mankind was self conscious and defining it's place in the cosmos.
And, I would point out that world of Wooly Rhinocerous, cave lions, Mastadons etc are gone from climate change and overhunting.
If posters wish to go looking for fights they should come heeled or risk being dragged like Hector around the city walls. To quote another English actor playing a Klingon  " Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war" and "If you prick us, do we not bleed"?  I am taking the Klingon custom of slapping my arms around my chest and turning my back. it's called the ignore feature and King Priam can claim the body.

Chris, you crack me up!

Listen, don't let it ruffle yer fur. Live and let live... (live long and prosper, as it were Wink)

btw, are you familiar with the standard rejoinder to above?

And, no, it definitely wasn't George Carlin. He wasn't even English. Sure talked a good English, though.

Wink

4 1,922
 04-13-2016, 07:26 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
"If you tickle us, do we not laugh"?

"If you poison us, do we not die"?

"If your wrong us, do we not revenge"?

God bless Will Geer. During the blacklist he retreated to Topanga Canyon to a self sustaining home and began performing  outdoor theater.  THEATRICUM BOTANICUM performs Shakespeare every summer. My Godfather  Jack Oakie took me to see Merchant Of Venice in a blue Packard with sidemounts. We drove down a still partially oiled dirt Topanga road with the smell of the summer crop orange blossoms and horse manure mixing with the evening winds. Another car behind us honked and waved. Jack smiled briefly with a slight wave muttering " he has a lean and hungry look". Who was that? -REAGAN  as he shifted into firs, hit the pedal and kicked gravel  behind us.

2 3,171
 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I was thinking more low brow, kav. You must remember the old Carlin bit, "Why can you say you pricked your finger, but you can't say you..."

Love these Carlinisms:

"Don't you hate it when people tell you, 'have a good one!'... I already have a good one, I want a bigger one."
"I'm not getting on the plane, I'm getting in the plane."
"Elevated subway."
"Military intelligence."
"Jumbo shrimp."

Yes, I'm an oxymoron.

4 1,922