04-13-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
Hi all,

I am having shave issues with my 1966 adjustable.

Quick background, I have been wet shaving about 2 years my current razors are the IKON OSS, Merkur 34C. EJ89, Merkur 1904, Maggard MR5.  After trying many many different blades I came to the conclusion 18 months ago that my face really only likes Astra Platinums and Medpreps. All the razors listed above I have used those two blades and other than an occasional bad blade have never had an issue.

So 6 months ago I picked up the '66 adjustable and and a '66 superspeed both L4's as they are my B'day razors. I sent both of these in for full revamps and had the adjustable re-done in Rhodium. The adjustable is in perfect working order, the blade sits perfect and from the eye there are no apparent issues.

Here is my problem I have used that razor on setting 1 and my face feels like I took 24 grit sandpaper and decided to shave with it. This is not a one-time happening, this happens no matter the blade, no matter the cream or soap and I just can't figure out why.

Is there some mystery technique on these things that I am missing? I love the look and feel of the razor, I just can't shave with it without making my face feel like I took off 3 layers of epidermis.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Erik

5 139
 04-13-2016, 07:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I had the same issue with Super Adjustables. Love the look of the short handle version (SA84). Bought two of them cause they look so damn cool. Couldn't get a decent shave with either one and no longer own either one. I commiserate with your frustration.

7 2,134
 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
Sounds like it might be over clocked.

9 1,407
 04-13-2016, 08:08 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Yeah, if it's overclocked, you're really shaving at 11, not 1. Who re-plated it? Was it someone who knows razors? Any chance they disassembled and didn't quite get it back together right?

22 828
 04-13-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
(04-13-2016, 08:08 PM)chamm Wrote: Yeah, if it's overclocked, you're really shaving at 11, not 1. Who re-plated it? Was it someone who knows razors? Any chance they disassembled and didn't quite get it back together right?

Razor Emporium did the revamp.

5 139
 04-13-2016, 08:15 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Well, at least it's not someone who usually does motorcycle parts. :-D

Still, it's not a hard thing to do, even for a seasoned pro. And it could have been that way when you got it. Does anyone know of a reliable way to check if it's overclocked? (I've never done it...)

I know it would be easy to undo, but if it's NOT overclocked, then there could be something else wrong, and you'd make it worse.

22 828
 04-13-2016, 08:18 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Bottom line, I can't imagine a SA on 1 tearing up anyone who has used a SuperSpeed, 34c, EJ89, etc. Maybe if you had never used a DE, but that isn't the case.

22 828
 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM
User Info
I have no clue how to check that, if anyone has any experience on this please let me know and I can check it.

5 139
 04-13-2016, 08:53 PM
User Info
It might be helpful to have a picture of the blade gap to see if that might be the issue.  One of my few occasional complaints about the Gillette Adjustables is that when on the wider blade gap settings, the blade is not held rigidly, and that juddering is horrible for shaving.  The Super Adjustable seems to hold the blade much, much more rigidly than previous versions.  A few when maladjusted seem to invert the settings so that the lower numbers are more aggressive.  Not sure the cause either.  

You might also want to call up the vendor and let them know and see if they can help.  Slims are a bit more diffucult to disassemble on your own, and need some specific tools when putting back together.

26 246
 04-13-2016, 09:06 PM
User Info
Matt,

When I move the dial setting one the head is very low to the blade...of course there is a gap but it is highly noticeable at the 9 setting and looks to be half-way between on the 5 setting.

Seems that if it was working properly that would be the case correct?

5 139
 04-14-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
(04-13-2016, 08:18 PM)chamm Wrote: Bottom line, I can't imagine a SA on 1 tearing up anyone who has used a SuperSpeed, 34c, EJ89, etc. Maybe if you had never used a DE, but that isn't the case.

+1 

Photos of the razor would be helpful as this is a bit puzzling. I can see you not getting on with the Gillette Adjustables, but to have this razor shave you so roughly, that is a bit odd.

83 21,077
 04-14-2016, 06:51 AM
User Info
[Image: bXcIcZC.jpg][Image: YSIroBO.jpg][Image: 2ELFdYX.jpg][Image: LcYrTaT.jpg]

First two are on setting #1 and the second two are setting #9

5 139
 04-14-2016, 06:54 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Those look way off to me. I can't put my finger on exactly how, and I don't have any of my adjustables with me, but the first two photos look like the blade is just sitting in the razor and sticking straight out.

I'm not enough of an expert to say for sure what's going on from memory, but if it's still unanswered when I get home tonight, I can pull out some of mine and compare. However, my gut says that something is really wrong with the way that razor is assembled.

22 828
 04-14-2016, 07:40 AM
User Info
I have a L1 slim always use it set at 4 that being said I took an old aouto motive feeler gauge and measured at the 1 setting with the smallest gauge with slight resistance.012" .305mm at the 9 setting. 028".711mm. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 748
 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM
User Info
Something is definitely wrong with that shaver. The TTO mechanism should be pushing the blade downwards, much more than that for setting one. The blade should not be so parallel. Even on setting 9 there shouldn't be so much blade exposure.

83 21,077
 04-14-2016, 09:00 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
It doesn't look like the blade is locked in the first two pictures & the blade gap look excessive in the last two even at 9.
When you change settings does it lock into place under each number or just turn freely?

2 517
 04-14-2016, 09:15 AM
User Info
My adjustable, which I haven't had overhauled, sticks a little for the last quarter turn, which is when line really presses down and locks. Does yours have that last quarter turn?

6 738
 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
It doesn't look like the blade is locked in the first two pictures & the blade gap look excessive in the last two even at 9.

When you change settings does it lock into place under each number or just turn freely?

My adjustable, which I haven't had overhauled, sticks a little for the last quarter turn, which is when line really presses down and locks. Does yours have that last quarter turn?

This might be the issue, that quarter turn part...I am going to try that tonight and see how it goes.

Thank you all for ideas.

5 139
 04-14-2016, 10:17 AM
User Info
I think your blade gaps are set wrong.  I love an aggressive razor, and I even have my Fatboy set 2 gap levels higher than normal.  Your gaps look even bigger than mine...

1 297
 04-14-2016, 10:38 AM
User Info
Have you corresponded with Razor Emporium?

If I were you they would have been my first point of inquiry for assistance prior to posting on a forum.

They know a thing or two about razors and I'm sure would be better able to articulate the issue at hand and possible solution.

It looks like the knob isn't fully tightened in the second picture.

If this is due to being over clocked, I couldn't say from your picture. If you're unfamiliar with how the razor functions, you shouldn't be too eager to mess around with it before discussing with the vendor first. You may do more harm then good.

So, I'm not going to try to put into words how I would trouble shoot the razor if it were mine. Don't want to miscommunicate and see you get more frustrated. 

Reach out to the vendor. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll help!

Best of luck.

9 1,407