04-14-2016, 05:00 PM
User Info
I just revisited my two old CF pots from 2012, Lavender and Lime. Both are fantastic creams, or should I say croaps.

They behave like a cream, once you apply it to your face, but in the jar both of mine from day one were more croap like in substance.

So much so, that they haven't dried out in 4 years time. They look like the same consistency as back when I first got them.

BOY, are these two croaps great.

I have forgotten just how fantastic they perform.

They are up there with my Xpec, Esbjerg, Baume.Be, ABC and Acqua di Parma croaps/creams.

Definitely close to a 10/10 rating.

Have you guys tried this Castle Forbes magic recently ?
Is yours more like a soft cream, like the 3 T's, or more like a sticky croap ?

24 5,963
 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM
User Info
Castle Forbes is very good indeed ! 
I however somehow tend to us too much product with it so lathe becomes too dense..

0 76
 04-14-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
(04-14-2016, 05:03 PM)johnsap Wrote: Castle Forbes is very good indeed ! 
I however somehow tend to us too much product with it so lathe becomes too dense..

Same here - which is why I take my time with this croap, to make sure it gets properly hydrated, which is diffcult with the easy overloading, so have lather all over the place  Biggrin

24 5,963
 04-14-2016, 05:28 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Very interesting timing, Claus, as I used my CF Cedar & Sandalwood this morning.
It was nice but not as nice as my shave with AoS Eucalyptus cream yesterday.
And interestingly it is because the CF lather was too dense and I should have taken more consideration for that and spent more time and added more water. It does love water, in my prior experiences.
Maybe I will go with it again tomorrow (we will see).

59 2,802
 04-14-2016, 05:37 PM
User Info
Mine isn't too soft. Won't really pour, buy it is much softer than other soft soaps I have.

Very easy to use more then I intended so I take a fairly dry brush to it.

Claus, did you keep the inner lid from when they were new? I'm not surprised they didn't dry out over four years if you did.

Love the lavender scent too. The color, not so much. Looks artificial. I can cope with the odd color though with the superb performance.

9 1,407
 04-14-2016, 06:10 PM
User Info
Got them both and love them both!

61 3,796
 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
I have the Lavender & Lime both are fantastic scents.  I consider mine a cream & you are right they love the water, I just druged my brush in it a little and lathered away adding water when needed great lather LOVE CF lol

8 147
 04-14-2016, 06:15 PM
User Info
(04-14-2016, 05:37 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Mine isn't too soft. Won't really pour, buy it is much softer than other soft soaps I have.

Very easy to use more then I intended so I take a fairly dry brush to it.

Claus, did you keep the inner lid from when they were new? I'm not surprised they didn't dry out over four years if you did.

Love the lavender scent too. The color, not so much. Looks artificial. I can cope with the odd color though with the superb performance.

No I threw the inner lid out.

And both my Lavender and Lime are white in cream colour ?

24 5,963
 04-14-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
Interesting, so the lids should be discarded?

61 3,796
 04-14-2016, 06:22 PM
User Info
Could be. The lid. I didn't toss mine.

Mine is purple.

Oops I was thinking of TOBS. 

Castle Forbes is white...

[Image: csbW51X.jpg]

9 1,407
 04-14-2016, 06:38 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I used Castle Forbes Lavender this morning.  Great stuff and slick as can be if you get the water ratio right.  The scent is bold and wonderful.

Eric

48 976
 04-14-2016, 06:38 PM
User Info
I purchased Castle Forbes Lime during March Madness and have not tried it out yet. Smells great though, and I'm looking forward to it. I think I am saving it for when I get a little bored with my other stuff. I'm glad you guys are talking best practices now, so I will keep these tips in mind when I do get it going.

40 1,166
 04-14-2016, 06:54 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-14-2016, 05:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I just revisited my two old CF pots from 2012, Lavender and Lime. Both are fantastic creams, or should I say croaps.

They are up there with my Xpec, Esbjerg, Baume.Be, ABC and Acqua di Parma croaps/creams.

Yr obdnt srvnt has very limited experience with Castle Forbes.  I have here a sample (purchased from Maggard’s) of Castle Forbes Lime.  I have shaved with it four or five times.  

*Meh*

It is o.k.  I could live with Castle Forbes as my only shave soap or cream for the rest of my life — but that would not be my choice.  
As to slickness and cushion, Castle Forbes is an above-average performer.  Its Lime scent is pleasant, and I appreciate that it does not overwhelm.

Compared to the AOS Ocean Kelp shaving cream that my bride gave me for Christmas, using both products in an identical manner, the AOS comes out on top on all criteria, and in the United States, the AOS product, while expensive, costs less per shave than does Castle Forbes.

This is not a knock on Castle Forbes; Castle Forbes is a good shaving cream.

But Castle Forbes has no halo over it in the cabinet above the sink where I shave.

1 1,086
 04-14-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
Agreed that CF is a great performer. To my nose the lime was too close in scent to an industrial cleaner. JMO. There are clearly fans of the scent out there. Just not me.

39 3,918
 04-14-2016, 10:47 PM
User Info
In my top 10 creams. The texture of my CF is that of a "croap."
I've tried Lavender, and Lime - both great - but my fave is Cedarwood/Sandalwood.
Regarding the extra lid, I usually keep them (on all my creams); though not absolutely necessary, they seem to provide an extra level of protection against dessication.

I echo AoS being ahead of it, though I'm sure many would disagree with me, as well.

0 485
 04-15-2016, 06:56 AM
User Info
(04-14-2016, 07:18 PM)primotenore Wrote: Agreed that CF is a great performer. To my nose the lime was too close in scent to an industrial cleaner. JMO. There are clearly fans of the scent out there. Just not me.

This.  

The scent, to my nose, is lime with an underpinning of shoe polish.  Anybody who's ever polished shoes the old fashioned way (or who still does), you know what old-school shoe polish smells like, right?  The CF Lime has a hint of that smell in the background.  Just enough to be slightly off-putting to my nose.  

I LOVE lime- and citrus-scented software, but because of this background note in CF, I choose not to use CF lime.  (And yes, I'm aware that the only scent ingredient in CF Lime is pure lime essential oil.  Still smells like shoe polish to me.  And if you smell pure lime essential oil, there is a hint of it in that stuff, too.)  

[FWIW, of all the lime scented shave products I've used, the one I liked the best was Mystic Waters lime soap.]

2 1,448
 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM
User Info
(04-14-2016, 05:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I just revisited my two old CF pots from 2012, Lavender and Lime. Both are fantastic creams, or should I say croaps.

They behave like a cream, once you apply it to your face, but in the jar both of mine from day one were more croap like in substance.

So much so, that they haven't dried out in 4 years time. They look like the same consistency as back when I first got them.

I am using Cedarwood /sandalwood for last 2 weeks and I think it behaves like a cream. The scent is awesome but not overwhelming. After going thru the reviews,have placed the order for lime as well.

What do you guys think about their aftershave balms?

1 795
 04-15-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
(04-15-2016, 07:01 AM)Jags009 Wrote:

I am using Cedarwood /sandalwood for last 2 weeks and I think it behaves like  a cream. The scent is awesome but not overwhelming. After going thru the reviews,have placed the order for lime as well.

What do you guys think about their aftershave balms?
Once again, I smell industrial cleaner in the Lime. I had it and had to wash it off almost immediately. YMMV. Mystic Water Lime is a touch sweet, but for my nose, far more pleasing.

39 3,918
 04-15-2016, 12:09 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Better shave today with the CF Cedar & Sandalwood. I think I used less product and started with a little *more water in the brush than yesterday. *Also, dabbed brush (with already-made lather, by palm lather) in water right before applying to each area of my also wet face, then continued per my "new normal" routine.

*This helped with its slickness and kept the density in the sweet spot.

Overall though, my shave with AoS Eucalyptus the other day was still a bit better. Though I believe both days with CF were more rushed than my day with AoS, so I am not declaring that, on their average day or best day, one is better than the other. I enjoy both, and there is a reason these brand creams have never left my den since they arrived 2-2.5 years ago, a time in which I've sold literally hundreds of creams and soaps.

59 2,802
 04-15-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
Matt, do you keep the inner lids on your CF?  Just trying to figure out which way is better for longevity.  Thanks!

61 3,796