07-22-2012, 02:15 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I took my monthly trip to the Dollar Tree in town and picked up a few bars of Yardley Oatmeal and saw this in the aisle

Camera Roll-25

It appears to be a glycerin bar for $1. It is made by Unilever. I love MRGLO, but if I can get close to the performance of it for $1, then I'll gladly spend the other $6 on other shaving supplies. I'll give it a week and see how it fairs against MRGLO. I'll do one side of my face with MRGLO and the other side with Pears and see if the performance is close.

116 3,804
 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
User Info
I look forward to hearing your results. I was just in Dollar Tree to pick up some Yardley soaps as well.

31 7,914
 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
I have heard good comments about Pears.

15 316
 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
If it's not too much trouble, can you post a picture of the ingredients list on the package?

16 545
 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
No problem. I will in a few

[Image: 7625571416_175a71d9b2.jpg]

116 3,804
 07-22-2012, 03:14 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Thanks, look forward to your report. Biggrin

16 545
 07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
I'll be watching this thread. I've seen Pears glycerin soap before, but questioned whether it would be a decent preshave. I couldn't see why not, but you never know... Never used MRGLO before.

2 362
 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-22-2012, 02:15 PM)Dave Wrote: It appears to be a glycerin bar for $1. It is made by Unilever. I love MRGLO, but if I can get close to the performance of it for $1, then I'll gladly spend the other $6 on other shaving supplies. I'll give it a week and see how it fairs against MRGLO. I'll do one side of my face with MRGLO and the other side with Pears and see if the performance is close.

Hi Dave

I'll be (very) interested to hear how you get on with that soap - Pears Transparent Soap.

Especially after reading this a few months ago, then reading the following after a little research on my end: A little additional information here...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-22-2012, 04:41 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Yeah it appears the formula has changed. I'll give it a shot in the morning during tradere testing.

116 3,804
 07-22-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
Companies running tradition through to cut costs... It isn't worth it if you ruin the product, guys. >Sad

Still anxious to see how it performs, though, having never used it in the past.

2 362
 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
One of the glycerin soaps that I have found to be exceptional is the South of France Tea Tree Sandalwood Soap.

It is triple milled and the ingredient list is very pure.

I have not used Pears in years, it used to be a truly outstanding soap. Anxious to hear your thoughts on it.

5 833
 07-22-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
You are a brave man, Dave. Good luck.

75 20,883
 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
Dave if you ever see "Clearly Natural" glycerine soap I vouch for it. I think it's about $1.25 in our supermarket, and is unscented or lightly scented with jasmine and things like that. It's good stuff, and I also use it as a melt and pour soap for scenting with menthol and Bay Rum base for shaving. It's every bit as good as VDH for shaving. Just load the heck out of the brush and the lather will knock your socks off. Well, maybe not, I have super soft water. I have no idea how it'll work with hard water. One characteristic of it... it sweats terribly - right in the wrapper. I think it's soaking up atmospheric moisture and that's what causes it. It hurts nothing, it just happens, it's no big deal if you expect to see it.

I've tried Neutrogena and for the price it doesn't work even 1/4 as good as Clearly Natural, plus it has a really strange scent.

32 6,309
 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My granpa used that soap for his shower,long time ago.Its a very good glycerin shaving soap and I do like its scent.Im sure you can use it as a pre shave soap too like the Musgo Real ones.

86 7,123
 07-22-2012, 09:50 PM
User Info
(07-22-2012, 09:27 PM)Teiste Wrote: My granpa used that soap for his shower,long time ago.Its a very good glycerin shaving soap and I do like its scent.Im sure you can use it as a pre shave soap too like the Musgo Real ones.

I was at a Dollar Tree the other day and saw this the other day as well. I can tell you that this certainly is not the same soap your grandpa was using in regards to the formula, and it smells nothing like it, either. Terrible.

1 168
 07-23-2012, 03:20 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Day 1 went well. I used it on one side and MRGLO on the other. I worked up a lather on both sides and could tell no noticeable difference as far as glide and comfort between the two.

116 3,804
 07-23-2012, 04:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Cool! Glad it worked so far.

I've tried Pears, Neutrogena, Purpose, Basis and an African Black soap with a glycerin base and they all didn't work as well as Mr. Glo for me.
I wonder if the extra oils in Mr. Glo do the trick or.............it's purely psychological on my part?!!??

I'd love to see a test with this soap,the above soaps that I mentioned, Mr. Glo,Dr. Bronner's and the new RazoRock pre-soap. That would prove a huge undertaking though!

I look forward to reading more of your experiences with this soap.

(07-23-2012, 03:20 AM)Dave Wrote: Day 1 went well. I used it on one side and MRGLO on the other. I worked up a lather on both sides and could tell no noticeable difference as far as glide and comfort between the two.

6 905
 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM
User Info
I quite like this soap. It's very cleansing and lathers like crazy. I think this will be due to the SLS in the new formula.

With hard water, I don't mind SLS's in my products.

They do a green coloured soap as well. It's a bigger bar and smells a bit better than the orange one IMO.

7 1,179
 07-24-2012, 03:24 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Pears was such a classic, the performance/lather, the scent, the skin care, the way it lasted.
I had been buying the old version at a dollar store and searches on the net seemed that it was coveted and horded by those who loved it.
Now I know why it was at the dollar store. I'm surprised the new version is already there....or maybe I shouldn't be.
This is a long lived classic that I just can't believe has gone through such a horrible reformulation.

Well, hopefully it still performs well.

6 905
 07-24-2012, 03:34 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
See I wish I could try the old version because I don't mind the scent of this version. It's not something I'd want to shower with (I have Mysore and Yardley for thatBiggrin) but for a Preshave the scent is ok.

Day 2 went well. I'm not really seeing a noticeable difference between Pears and MRGLO. Whisker prep seems about the same.

Just for anyone wondering what my prep is (with either)
I lather it up and scrub my whole face and rinse. Then I lather again and just do the beard section. I leave it on while I'm prepping my lather and loading the blade, then rinse it off right before I do the first pass.

I wish a Whole Foods was near me because I'd like to try their bar. I did try Dr. Bronners and didn't care for it. It didn't seem to do near as well as MRGLO. I also want to get some of the RazoRock PreShave soap but will wait for Joe to get back from vacation. Maybe I'll do a PreShave shootout once I can get all the pieces together. Maybe I'll do it on my blog. I'm already planning a Synthetic Shootout (versus each other and versus a Semogue 1305 as well)

116 3,804