04-15-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
Hi Gents,

As someone who owns a few common adjustables (Fat Boy, Slim, Futur), I'm wondering what adjustable you guys like the best for shaving.

When I say best, I'm talking about comfort/smoothness, efficiency, and range. 

I like my vintage adjustables better than my Futur because of the unwieldy size of the head when trying to get to tight spots. Otherwise the Futur is great. 

For the purposes of this thread, I'm hoping to include only the dial adjustables, not the Rockwell 6S type that require a baseplate flip/change.

Thanks!

0 30
 04-15-2016, 04:30 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I have a Mergress that I love.  I've owned Fatboys, Slims, and a Vision.  And the Mergress beat them all hands down.

42 581
 04-15-2016, 04:32 AM
User Info
Megress XL for me too, good sized head (I also didn't like the larger futur head) and good balance to the razor.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 831
 04-15-2016, 04:40 AM
User Info
It took a little while, but the Progress has become my favorite adjustable.  What I like about it is that it seems to have a larger range between mild to aggressive than other adjustables I've tried (Fatboy, Super Adjustable, and Futur).  It would invariably seem that with the other adjustables, I'd eventually just set it at the most aggressive setting for the whole shave and never adjust after that, but with the Progress I actually adjust during each pass.  Also as someone who has come to like lighter and shorter razors, the Progress (and not the long-handled Progress) has a good balance, as opposed to the huge and long Futur.

84 1,505
 04-15-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
I, also, prefer the Merkur Progress for an adjustable razor. I just don't get on, very well, with any of the Gillette TTOs.

82 21,056
 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM
User Info
The Merkur Progress has become a favorite. As someone said, it has a large range of aggression. I start out with a 5 setting for the with the grain pass, 3 for the across the grain pass, and 2 for the against the grain pass. Works wonderfully that way.

77 369
 04-15-2016, 11:46 AM
User Info
FB have fatter heads than Slim's. I like the added weight of the FB. Try with different blades as that will change the experience. Start of low as in numbers for whole shave then you can play with varying levels with number of passes. I prefer higher to low as the whiskers become shorter.

5 267
 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
There was a time I was using almost exclusively the adjustable razors I had. I had a preference for the Futur. Now, I don't have any of them, I decided to sold them a while ago. I can get better shaves from non- adjustable razors, especially with some more aggressive like the iKon Tech. But, that is just my opinion. To be honest, I've never realized the use of the adjustability as I had exactly the same aggressiveness option for both passes, for example a WTG and a XTG pass at 3. Some gentlemen prefer to use the Futur at 4 for the first pass and at 2 for the second. It's a matter of preference. I can get the same excellent shave, or even better, from an aggressive razor without being adjustable.

49 1,939
 04-15-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
My go to adjustable is a futur, love how it shaves and have no issues with how big the head on it is. I just received my mergress long handle. It has a good weight to it and can't wait to give it a spin.

2 102
 04-15-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
Fatboy and Slim for me.

61 3,796
 04-16-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
For performance, Gillette Super Adjustable, hands down. Then my Gibbs.

For looks, the Toggle. I also favor the Toggle version over the Fat Boy and Slim models because it seems to hold the blade more rigidly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

26 245
 04-16-2016, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-16-2016, 06:35 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: For performance, Gillette Super Adjustable, hands down.  Then my Gibbs.

For looks, the Toggle.  I also favor the Toggle version over the Fat Boy and Slim models because it seems to hold the blade more rigidly.  

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Damnit, now I have to pull out the super adjustable I've been hoarding, time to test drive it. Glad I haven't sold it

26 761
 04-16-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
I have only had experience with the Gillette's and out those I get the most consistent shaves with the Super Adjustable.

0 94
 04-16-2016, 08:30 PM
User Info
I like my Mergress (Merkur Progress) XL.  Excellent razor.  I only wish they'd make a SS version, and one with a knurled handle.  Wrote them and suggested as much but their response was it'd be too much expense to re-tool the factory line.  Sigh.

0 377
 04-17-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
I have an Eskimo (Bob Quinn) custom Merkur Progress in Blue Lapis.. The grip is excellent and build quality is tops.  
[Image: k6wXPTl.jpg]

0 229
 04-18-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
The only adjustable I've used is my Fatboy. I like it a lot. It confirmed for me that I like a mild razor with a sharp blade. Someday I may finally convince myself to rip open the sealed package of my Super Adjustable...

0 1,053
 04-19-2016, 05:58 AM
User Info
The only adjustable I have is the Futur.  It doesnt see that much use anymore as I find it a bit over agressive and harsh even on 1.  I would like to try a Progress though.  I too seem to favour a milder razor with a sharp blade.  My best combo right now is a 34c loaded with a Feather.

0 9
 04-19-2016, 08:19 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(04-19-2016, 05:58 AM)shupey14 Wrote: The only adjustable I have is the Futur.  It doesnt see that much use anymore as I find it a bit over agressive and harsh even on 1.  I would like to try a Progress though.  I too seem to favour a milder razor with a sharp blade.  My best combo right now is a 34c loaded with a Feather.

If you are finding your Futur harsh and overagressive on 1, you may have a head that is "overclocked". An easy fix, just do some forum searches and you'll see how to remedy it.

143 1,983
 04-20-2016, 06:33 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
My Black Beauty(Super Adjustable) is my smoothest adjustable.
I also own a Slim, and it is a great razor as well.
I generally use setting #4, and keep them both there, so aside from being able to choose the gap I prefer and then keeping it there, I rarely use the "adjustability" feature, although it is nice to have the option. I just like the way the razors feel and shave. IME, you can approximate the gap of things like the Super Speeds and Techs, and others, but the Adjustables don't actually feel or shave the same, even so. To me, a totally different feel. One I happen to enjoy.

2 1,683
 04-21-2016, 03:16 PM
User Info
I have few Fatboys, few Slims, few Black Beauties, few Wizamet W-11, Wizamet W-10, few russian copies of Gillette, Merkur Futur, Merkur Vision, Merkur Progress and here is my list from best to worst:

1. Merkur Vision
2. Merkur Futur
3. Fatboy
4. Slim
5. Merkur Progress
6. Black Beauty
7. Wizamet W-11
8. Wizamet W-10
9. Russian copies

4 57