04-15-2016, 06:00 AM
User Info
I've been scouring the site reading reviews but I thought I'd just ask directly. I have the opportunity to buy a Phyl and I'm pretty excited. I just wanted to ask owners if they think I would like it before I pull the trigger. I face lather and can handle a little scrub but no scritch. I don't need a big knot as I keep a beard most of the time, I prefer 24mm and below. I have read that the knot on this is similar to a Duke 3 but a little less densely packed with better flow through. I'm concerned that it might splay too much and be unwieldy for my limited real estate. I don't really enjoy floppy knots all that much. I tend to lean toward 2-band knots for the backbone and soft tips, but have been looking to diversify some. My current brushes that I really enjoy:

Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip 23x48
Romera Manchurian Fan 24x??
Semogue OC 2-Band
Semogue 730 Silvertip
Semogue 810
Omega Boar 24mm 
Various Synthetics

Any opinions good or bad would be appreciated.

43 207
 04-15-2016, 06:22 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I don't think you can go wrong with the Phyl. It's terrific for face lathering. While it's not as soft as the Shavemac 2-band, it also doesn't have any scritch.

38 5,030
 04-15-2016, 06:24 AM
User Info
Richard is right on the money.  One of the few Simpsons I still own because the knot is superb IMO.

61 3,796
 04-15-2016, 06:34 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Nice brush, but I prefer my shavemac 3-bands and 2-bands, and my TGN 2-band finest.  Perhaps you'd be better off with a bulb-shaped knot, which won't splay as much as a fan-shaped knots.  Shavemac expert might be your best bet as you can select the diameter and loft of the knot, the quality of the hair, the shape of the knot, and the colour and style of the handle.

5 882
 04-15-2016, 07:17 AM
User Info
(04-15-2016, 06:34 AM)Rufus Wrote: Nice brush, but I prefer my shavemac 3-bands and 2-bands, and my TGN 2-band finest.  Perhaps you'd be better off with a bulb-shaped knot, which won't splay as much as a fan-shaped knots.  Shavemac expert might be your best bet as you can select the diameter and loft of the knot, the quality of the hair, the shape of the knot, and the colour and style of the handle.

Bryan, thank you for your input. From my experiences so far I tend to prefer fan shaped knots, just in relatively smaller sizes. And if you glance through my current brushes, I do have a Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Fan that I ordered custom. I was just looking to add something a little different to my collection but I didn't want anything that I wouldn't enjoy using. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback :-)

43 207
 04-15-2016, 08:55 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
My P8 has one of the nicest Best knots I have experienced from modern Simpsons.  It has good density, backbone, scrub and very soft tips, and zero scritch.  If all Simpson Best were of this quality than the Super 3-bands would likely never sell.  The handle isn't my favorite ergonomically speaking as it doesn't have a natural comfortable grip for me.  Aesthetically, though, it is truly beautiful and a brush I would highly recommend just to experience how good Best can be.

139 2,677
 04-15-2016, 04:52 PM
User Info
I love the P8 TSN 2013 LE handle. Makes me think of a top-class Bentley every time I use it. Something about the solidity and muscular elegance. 

Mine has a bit of a pointy knot crown. The loft is higher than specified. I have a lower lofted Duke 3 with a 48mm-high fan knot that works much better for me. The Duke is my dedicated travel brush. It has everything I want in a brush and is replaceable if it gets lost. 

[Image: gLef0Hh.jpg]

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-16-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
An absolutely wonderful knot. Hard to believe this is a Best knot. It feels marvelous on my face. One of the best brush acquisitions I have made.

Ed

21 751
 04-16-2016, 07:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The P8 is great brush and featured a particularly good batch of hair...

[Image: rP3unUQ.png]

99 18,011
 04-17-2016, 02:26 AM
User Info
Loved the handle but sold the brush. Only reason was the splay, I prefer a more 'concentrated' knot, which is why I now stick to 2 bands unless it's a high density brush. Beautiful handle though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 831
 04-17-2016, 04:43 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
It's a lovely brush, IMHO.
Knot is quite dense, but backbone is around what I would consider medium. I prefer a softer backbone, so  for me it is just perfect. Zero scritch, wonderfully soft, and does not hog lather. I love the look of the handle, from material to it's shape. It is basically the stubby type designed to be used to face lather, again, IMO, and would be fantastic for this. I use mine to bowl lather with no issues. But then again, I bowl lather with my Duke 2 as well.
The greatest thing about it for me is that it is a TSN LE. This is my very favorite forum in all the great, wide internet. Biggrin  
Proud to own mine!

2 1,683