04-15-2016, 06:48 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
I have read of this technique several times in the past and tried it occasionally. In all my years of wet shaving, I have always struggled with getting a very close shave with the area in and around the back/point of my jaw line and right underneath it. I've tried everything it seems; shaving multiple passes, different directions, etc. and nothing seems to quite get it as close as the rest of my face is shaved. I should note that I cannot shave against the grain there or I will end up with severe razor burn.

This morning, I decided to give buffing a go again and, while there is still some palpable roughness in the area, it's much closer than normal. I will definitely continue to hone this technique and someday... oh someday, achieve the same level of smoothness in this area that I do with the rest of my face.

What are others' experience with blade buffing?

10 231
 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM
User Info
I have been 'blade buffing' for quite a few years, now, and it has been working out very well, especially, along my jawline and other challenging areas as I have very coarse and dark hair. Shy

82 21,056
 04-15-2016, 09:16 AM
User Info
I have not "blade buffed" because I do not like going over the same area more than I have too. What I have done is focus on a pre-shave routine that works for me. When I first started wet-shaving I kept missing hair on my chin line as well. I used to use letric shave pre-oil and afta to get as close as I possibly could until I found that when I turn my head a certain way and change the technique on my razor I can get BBS...going ATG with a good pre-shave and a slick lather should eliminate any razor burn.

I have a friend who also has very sensitive skin and he uses a DE for a first pass and then changes over to a Neo cart for under his chin..claims its the perfect solution to his problems..To each there own I say

24 470
 04-15-2016, 11:30 AM
User Info
I have EXACTLY the same trouble as you describe. Only way for me to get a BBS in those areas is by going ATG and really stretch the skin as I do so!! Maybe even buff a few times...

9 769
 04-15-2016, 11:41 AM
User Info
Blade buffing doesn't work well for my trouble spots. I just go at the area from a different angles (but never quite ATG).

26 982
 04-15-2016, 12:39 PM
User Info
I quit fighting those small issues a long time ago.  I just take what I can get from the shave on the day in question.  I don't hit areas over and over again, currently I only go with the grain twice and across the grain once.  In my neck are, one pass with the grain and that's it.

I get great irritation free shaves and I can enjoy them every day, but Sunday.  That's my rest day Smile

It also helps that I don't have sensitive skin, but still I don't push the issue.  Good luck!

61 3,796
 04-15-2016, 12:49 PM
User Info
Blade buffing has been a positive for me, especially going after one trouble spot on the jawline.
Not too long ago I overdid it, though, and had to lay off shaving for a few days because of a patch of razor burn.

8 896
 04-15-2016, 05:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Jawline's hard for me too. I do W/X/A TG passes and sometimes buff. It doesn't seem to be "sensitive" per se, just difficult to get BBS. It gets cleanest with a fresh blade.
    Two places I never buff are the moustache area down to the corner of the lips on both sides, and the very lower neck area. For there, 2 WTG passes and that's close enough.

4 1,910
 04-16-2016, 03:36 AM
User Info
I used to do it all the time but now I just do a slow three pass (WTG.ATG,XTG)  and call it good.

6 1,253
 04-16-2016, 06:23 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Obsessed as I've always have been with getting a BBS, I've tried buffing, j hooking, and the Gillette slide. Surprisingly, as I became more experienced (read "better") I've found I don't need any of them to get the results I demand. But I am well aware that I am one lucky guy when it comes to shaving.

7 2,279
 04-16-2016, 08:29 AM
User Info
Lots of good tips here -- I like aggressive razors, but most of them don't buff too well for me.

I'm "a little bit country, and a little bit rock&roll" on this issue. I would be very pleased and excited to discover a secret way to get that underjaw silky smooth, but I have settled into a routine of 3 passes, and a little buffing. Now and then this will result in a shave as smooth as the most skillful barber could give -- but mostly, it's simply good enough, though miles better than I used to accept as "good enough".

However, I will also sometimes set out with the intention of taking as much time and as many passes as needed to achieve that practically perfect shave. These attempts have resulted in some irritation, and a few nicks, but I've taught myself how to do it -- so now it's often a choice between quick and merely excellent, or slow and spectacular!

That's when I will sometimes pull out the Feather NEO for that final buff & polish -- best of the multi-blades IMO.

5 395
 04-16-2016, 10:37 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Thanks for all the replies, good into and always beneficial to see how many other folks struggle with the same problem.

I have never become too obsessed with it and normally only do one pass and call it good, and I've always been satisfied with that, but occasionally renewed enthusiasm gets me going on how to best address that area! Will keep plugging along and agree that as time goes on, the shaves become better. 

With a 9month old that has a low tolerance for hanging out in the bathroom while I shower and shave, one pass is the norm these days!  Biggrin

10 231
 04-16-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
If I don't buff I won't get the results I wanted. I wish there was a razor out there that is so efficient and so gentle that a three pass without an against the grain results in BBS or at least DFS without any irritation whatsoever.

10 1,128
 04-16-2016, 02:40 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
One thing I've learned is that any" residual " that I may feel while my face is still wet will disappear  when the whiskers dry and shrink up.

7 2,279
 04-16-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
In my own experience, some razors are better at buffing than others. I've currently been using the thicker old type Gillette head on a wolfman wrh7 handle, excellent t results all around with a buffing type shave , the wolfman heads tend to provide a more efficient shave that doesn't need a buffing type shave but I have only used the OC with a polsilver and I get a few nicks when going against the grain

26 761
 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(04-16-2016, 02:40 PM)Mouser Wrote: One thing I've learned is that any" residual " that I may feel while my face is still wet will disappear  when the whiskers dry and shrink up.

^

That.

0 1,732