04-15-2016, 06:53 AM
User Info
I have amassed enough soaps to last a decade(or longer) and cannot yet bring myself to reduce the quantity as I enjoy the uniqueness of each.

From what I have read on prior postings, the only thing which gets affected over time is the fragrance of the soap being lost, without any affect to performance.

I would like to preserve the fragrance of the soap on the long haul, but am concerned about the airtight nature of some of the containers like CRSW, Mikes and IKEA Grundthal which dont appear to be perfectly airtight in comparison to others.

Anyone have experience with their soaps in containers which are not 100% airtight and the effects of losing the potency of the fragrance over time?

Input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

39 275
 04-15-2016, 06:55 AM
User Info
Great question, 

I'm in a similar position and would be really intrested to know as well.

1 213
 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I have no idea on this subject. It sounds interesting and I'd like to know if there is any specific answer to your question. 

It has to do with the container probably. Just a quick guess. The best are those that keep the air and the sunlight away from the soap. Nuàvia bowls are a good example. Maybe the answer to this is ceramic/ porcelain bowls.

49 1,940
 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
^ Like MWF? I have a new one but I heard that soap has a tendency to have cracks when left too long without action in the container.

10 1,149
 04-15-2016, 12:53 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(04-15-2016, 12:45 PM)1Geralt Wrote: ^ Like MWF? I have a new one but I heard that soap has a tendency to have cracks when left too long without action in the container.

It's a trait of this soap. It tends to dry out, you can't change it. Mine was in very bad condition, the cracks on it were similar to a human brain, that I decided to use it as a bath soap and sold all the refill backups I had. If you use it more regularly than me, you won't have the same problem.

49 1,940
 04-15-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
(04-15-2016, 12:53 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 12:45 PM)1Geralt Wrote: ^ Like MWF? I have a new one but I heard that soap has a tendency to have cracks when left too long without action in the container.

It's a trait of this soap. It tends to dry out, you can't change it. Mine was in very bad condition, the cracks on it were similar to a human brain, that I decided to use it as a bath soap and sold all the refill backups I had. If you use it more regularly than me, you won't have the same problem.

Aww that sucks, that is such a good soap. No way to rehabilitate it to a working shaving soap after awhile? I was planning to buy 3 refill pucks, now I'm hesitant.

10 1,149
 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Buy a  wine from 2011 . All the reviews give it 98 points and comment on the top notes of catnip with a finish of coarse cut English Marmalade. They may recommend drinking it now, or give it 3 years to come into full maturity. So, you  drink one bottle of  six MMMMMMMM nice stuff and
decide to keep the rest for 3 years later. It goes into a dark closet with a constant temperature. It's 2016  and you're busy with the election, restoring the car found behind a barn just like dad drove, financing your kid's university.
You remember the wine, buried behind the golf clubs you no longer get out and the box of xmas ornaments. You pop a bottle. HMMMM it's not
quite what you remembered, certainly not 'matured' and the top notes of catnips are more cat litter. You decide to use it up at the next BBQ.
You pop 3 and noticed one has 'corked' in spite of your care. Your neighbors take a collective sip and make faces you recognize  from the
hot gallon jug wine from Gallo your friend smuggled out of his grandfather's in high school.
everyone reaches for beers.
What happened?
First; many products have a lifespan with a window of peak performance. It doesn't matter if it is hermetically sealed.  Scented products are no different. It may take decades and if lucky retain a faded but still delightful memory of it's youth.Or, it will be a very expensive bottle of vinegar.

2 3,171
 04-15-2016, 01:26 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(04-15-2016, 01:10 PM)1Geralt Wrote:

Aww that sucks, that is such a good soap. No way to rehabilitate it to a working shaving soap after awhile? I was planning to buy 3 refill pucks, now I'm hesitant.

Unfortunately, no. I used it for a week or so as a bath/ hand soap, it cracked into many small pieces and I had to throw it away. Believe me, I felt horrible.

49 1,940
 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(04-15-2016, 01:14 PM)kav Wrote: Buy a  wine from 2011 . All the reviews give it 98 points and comment on the top notes of catnip with a finish of coarse cut English Marmalade. They may recommend drinking it now, or give it 3 years to come into full maturity. So, you  drink one bottle of  six MMMMMMMM nice stuff and
decide to keep the rest for 3 years later. It goes into a dark closet with a constant temperature. It's 2016  and you're busy with the election, restoring the car found behind a barn just like dad drove, financing your kid's university.
You remember the wine, buried behind the golf clubs you no longer get out and the box of xmas ornaments. You pop a bottle. HMMMM it's not
quite what you remembered, certainly not 'matured' and the top notes of catnips are more cat litter. You decide to use it up at the next BBQ.
You pop 3 and noticed one has 'corked' in spite of your care. Your neighbors take a collective sip and make faces you recognize  from the
hot gallon jug wine from Gallo your friend smuggled out of his grandfather's in high school.
everyone reaches for beers.
What happened?
First; many products have a lifespan with a window of peak performance. It doesn't matter if it is hermetically sealed.  Scented products are no different. It may take decades and if lucky retain a faded but still delightful memory of it's youth.Or, it will be a very expensive bottle of vinegar.

Well stated, Kav.
Vintage is vintage : both good and bad aspects.

102 18,557
 04-15-2016, 07:53 PM
User Info
I have quite a 'few' pucks of Mystic Water that are five years old and the scents are still quite prominent and they are just in the original plastic wrappings and not in any soap containers. Shy
I, also, have a tin of Cold River Fall that I have had for some time, now, and the scent is still wonderful.

82 21,056
 04-17-2016, 09:09 AM
User Info
If you are worried about airtight seals, then put your soaps in ziplock bags.

3 196
 04-17-2016, 01:43 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info

Why? The cracking doesn't effect the performance of it at all. It's not a "problem" at all.

7 2,281
 04-17-2016, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-17-2016, 09:09 AM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: If you are worried about airtight seals, then put your soaps in ziplock bags.
Wouldn't it be better to use a food saver to suck the air out too

2 102
 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The problem with plastic is A. microporosity and b. offgassing various chemicals into the contents with varied impacts. I treat my soaps with the same philosophy Pyewacket approaches his monthly food supply " You bought it to feed me and I'm hungry. You can always buy more".

2 3,171
 04-17-2016, 11:49 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
An attitude I like Kav. Interesting, I wondered about those food savers & how effective they might be. "Offgassing" doesn't sound good!

42 1,041
 04-18-2016, 05:02 AM
User Info
You have to also keep in mind that even sealed in a container the essential oils and fragrance oils can break down over time.  Here is something on a web site that talks about the oils only.

Essential Oil Shelf Life

Pure essential oils do not go rancid. Over time, however, essential oils can oxidize, deteriorate and gradually lose their therapeutic value and aromatic quality.
The lifespan of essential oils varies tremendously from one botanical to the next, from one batch to the next, and from one supplier to the next. Other factors that can directly affect the shelf life of an essential oil include the following:
  • The method of distillation
  • The conditions and care used during the distillation
  • The quality of the botanical used
  • The care in bottling, storage and handling of the essential oil by your supplier and any suppliers they obtained the oil from
  • The storage conditions of the oil
Essential Oil Life Span - How Long Do Essential Oils Last?
As a broad rule of thumb, essential oils usually retain their aromatic and therapeutic quality for at least 1 year from the date of purchase, provided that you purchased the oil from a reputable supplier that maintains fresh inventory. The shelf life of essential oils can be maximized by storing them in dark glass bottles, keeping their caps tighly closed, and keeping them in a cool, dry location away from sunlight. As you use up the oil from a large bottle, rebottle the oil into a smaller bottle. This reduces the amount of oxygen that stays in contact with the oil. See the Storing Essential Oils article for more information.

http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/essentialoilshelflife.asp

4 465
 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
A few other things to consider:
  • If fragrance oils or essential oils are used, and to what percentage (not that you're likely to know that), but of course these variables will affect fragrance longevity.
  • The container type used (regardless of airtightness) - certain types of plastic (HDPE/PET/PVC/LDPE) have different reactions to essential oil concentrations and could affect longevity of fragrance - hopefully the manufacturer will take that into consideration!
  • Source and method of oil production - steam-distillation vs. chemical extraction and production methods can affect the long term stability - my understanding is that 'fragrance oils' are less volatile in terms of the scent compounds, so could theoretically help scents last longer.
  • The texture of the soap - since sodium hydroxide is used in higher amounts in hard soaps and potassium hydroxide moreso in soft soaps, whether the resulting soap is more prone to evaporation - i.e. harder soaps - and thus, fragrance loss

10 231
 04-18-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
(04-15-2016, 01:10 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Aww that sucks, that is such a good soap. No way to rehabilitate it to a working shaving soap after awhile? I was planning to buy 3 refill pucks, now I'm hesitant.

I think packaging and scent strength, along with how it's stored, a dark cool place is preferred, will affect scent longevity, I'd suggest vacuum packing a puck of MWF and see how it holds up.  Since I live alone my soaps & creams which are with some type of preservative, are kept in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator, and all others are in a box stored in my bedroom closet. 

Any tube creams are transferred to a double wall tub, and if they dry out, I use as a croap/ soft soap.  I had bought 8 tubs of AOS Rose SC when it was discontinued, the last three were dehydrated, when I loaded my brush, the scent returned and the lather seemed to be a notch or two better.

1 180
 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
(04-17-2016, 01:43 PM)Mouser Wrote:

Why? The cracking doesn't effect the performance of it at all. It's not a "problem" at all.

I had the same thing, the puck inside the MWF ceramic container looked like the San Andreas fault. I put a few drops of hot water in it while i showered, came out lathered up and it was as good as ever.

5 139
 04-18-2016, 02:30 PM
User Info
I have some Mike's soap in Gri«undtal containers. Wonderful scent, mau«ybe a little bit faded but not much, if any.
The same can I say of some Calani artisan soaps in Gri«undtal containers, still retain their scent.

I have other soaps in Grundtal containers, but not artisan ones.

2 5,545