04-16-2016, 08:22 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My Waterman 'Apostrophe' is nearing the final refills of my meager ink supply. I was assembling a ink order and thought this a good time for a thorough cleaning.  Aside from a cosmetic wipe with water and a soft towel, I have merely flushed the nib and reservoir with distilled water. I just noticed this product. Is it necessary? I've been having some flow issues. It seems in spite of carefully refilling per instructions I have to disassemble and rotate the plunger to reduce the void @ 3 times per fill. [Image: 4yZBMPY.jpg]

2 3,171
 04-16-2016, 12:46 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've been collecting vintage and modern fountain pens for many years.  At the moment I have over 100 and rotate through them regularly.  Over the years I've never found it necessary to clean my pens with anything but Luke warm tap water; I flush the pen until the water runs clear, give it a good 'thermometer' shake over the sink and several more shakes with the section and nib wrapped in a tissue; I store the pen cap off for a few days.  Works like a charm.  BTW, I use only Watermans or Diamine inks, which are totally benign unlike some of the 'fancier' inks which can clog or even damage a pen.

5 819
 04-16-2016, 01:04 PM
User Info
(04-16-2016, 12:46 PM)Rufus Wrote: I've been collecting vintage and modern fountain pens for many years.  At the moment I have over 100 and rotate through them regularly.  Over the years I've never found it necessary to clean my pens with anything but Luke warm tap water; I flush the pen until the water runs clear, give it a good 'thermometer' shake over the sink and several more shakes with the section and nib wrapped in a tissue; I store the pen cap off for a few days.  Works like a charm.  BTW, I use only Watermans or Diamine inks, which are totally benign unlike some of the 'fancier' inks which can clog or even damage a pen.

Same here, thanks for sharing your simple, but highly effective method.  That must be an awesome collection.  I only have four, but they are amazing and beautiful.

61 3,796
 04-16-2016, 01:40 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(04-16-2016, 01:04 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 12:46 PM)Rufus Wrote: I've been collecting vintage and modern fountain pens for many years.  At the moment I have over 100 and rotate through them regularly.  Over the years I've never found it necessary to clean my pens with anything but Luke warm tap water; I flush the pen until the water runs clear, give it a good 'thermometer' shake over the sink and several more shakes with the section and nib wrapped in a tissue; I store the pen cap off for a few days.  Works like a charm.  BTW, I use only Watermans or Diamine inks, which are totally benign unlike some of the 'fancier' inks which can clog or even damage a pen.

Same here, thanks for sharing your simple, but highly effective method.  That must be an awesome collection.  I only have four, but they are amazing and beautiful.

Thanks.  If you go to the thread 'Pen Cases-Share Yours' below you'll see most of my pens in their storage.

5 819
 04-16-2016, 01:51 PM
User Info
(04-16-2016, 01:40 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 01:04 PM)hrfdez Wrote:

Thanks.  If you go to the thread 'Pen Cases-Share Yours' below you'll see most of my pens in their storage.
Will do!  I love writing, specially in cursive.  It is a shame that must schools don't even teach it anymore.

61 3,796
 04-16-2016, 02:02 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(04-16-2016, 01:51 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 01:40 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 01:04 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Same here, thanks for sharing your simple, but highly effective method.  That must be an awesome collection.  I only have four, but they are amazing and beautiful.

Will do!  I love writing, specially in cursive.  It is a shame that must schools don't even teach it anymore.

Learning cursive in early elementary school has been shown to enhance the neurodevelopment of the brain in ways that enhance learning in all areas throughout a child's academic career.

36 4,836
 04-29-2016, 09:25 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(04-16-2016, 02:02 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 01:51 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 01:40 PM)Rufus Wrote: Thanks.  If you go to the thread 'Pen Cases-Share Yours' below you'll see most of my pens in their storage.

Learning cursive in early elementary school has been shown to enhance the neurodevelopment of the brain in ways that enhance learning in all areas throughout a child's academic career.

I so agree with this.  However, towards the end of my teaching career some thirteen years ago, I was all but banned from formally teaching penmanship.  I was told that the children would get most of what they need to know by their writing assignments.  What a crock of rubbish!  Angry

2 11,211