04-16-2016, 12:27 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Hi, guys!
I have been reading a bit here in the cafe, a couple of pour over coffee threads.
I am the kind of guy who just wants a decent cup o f coffee in the morning; nothing fancy, just something strong, that is also nice and smooth. To give you an idea, I use Folgers Classic Roast or Black Silk coffee for modern coffee makers, mine in particular being a $10 Rival brand.
But I left the grinds in the coffee maker filter compartment a while back(in a hurry) and forgot them overnight. They grew a nasty white mold. I tried vinegar rinse, and cleaned up all traces of mold I could see, but the coffee was so terrible I took a few sips and tossed it.
So, no coffee maker, no pour over coffee filter thingee that sits on top of a cup or carafe. A funnel, a tall glass and percolator coffee filter, a microwave and some of that Folgers I talked about. About three minutes later, and I'm enjoying a really nice cup of joe (yes, I like coffee at 4:30 in the evening). I think I can dial it in and make it even better, over the next week or so.
Thank you to TSN, and The Cafe. No, I'm not grinding my own beans, and there's no French Press or any fancy kettle or carafe, but I could get used to this.

2 1,678
 08-30-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
When the glass beaker from my French Press Melior now Bodum broke I just poured boiling water in a sauce pan with coffee and the filteredthe grounds out using a paper towel as a filter.  Tasted great, much betterthan when you percolate and cook the coffee. You are spot on

1 53
 08-30-2016, 08:13 PM
User Info
I've used a modified melitta; which essentially is a funnel that easily sits on top of your mug, for years and can make very good coffee with that set up. Better than fancy schmancy coffee makers and espresso machines I had/have available at the office. For dialing it in I used a scale for figuring out the ratio I like. Now, I do make some other complicated things like rinsing the filters and use only a particular type of those, but the setup is pretty basic  Biggrin

7 1,010