04-18-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
So I have the opportunity to pick up a weber dlc, one of my holy grails, something I've been searching for a while. The seller has been very open and honest about everything with the razor. It has a bulldog handle and in the pictures exhibits some very light tea-stains on the top cap. I saw 1 or 2 threads on another forum, but none on this forum. So here I am asking my first trusted razor forum on their opinions and experiences with the infamous weber dlc

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM
User Info
[Image: aMGyzGq.jpg]
[Image: ZcyYgkq.jpg][Image: 7xwEBOa.jpg][Image: sfb4FNb.jpg]

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
 04-18-2016, 06:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
A monk in a remote Anatolian monastery offered to show me the one, true Holy Grail. It had a dent in it. The monk pointed it out " This is where our Lord dropped it at the Last Supper". If it developed tea stains with a trusted owner your ownership will not reverse the process. buy it.

2 3,171
 04-18-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:11 PM)kav Wrote: A monk in a remote Anatolian monastery offered to show me the one, true Holy Grail. It had a dent in it. The monk pointed it out " This is where our Lord dropped it at the Last Supper". If it developed tea stains with a trusted owner your ownership will not reverse the process. buy it.

That is a very good story and reference. The individual i would be purchasing from appears trustworthy and has been open/honest about the situation. This would be my first purchase from this person however and this has been out first interactions

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
User Info
What is a tea stain?

63 1,720
 04-18-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:23 PM)NSmalls Wrote: What is a tea stain?

A tea stain occurs from the razor blade transferring some light rust marks on the razor. I noticed this in particular with an ikon safety bar when I left the blade in post shave. This was fairly easily cleaned on stainless, not sure how difficult it will be on dlc or if the cleaning process will eventually damage the dlc coating. I also didnt think this could happen on dlc coating, i thought this was due to metal on metal. You can see very minute staining on the left circular indent in the top pic if you zoom in, very minor

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:28 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
'tea stains' are surface discoloration NOT rust that can appear on razors. You can readily see it on many blades after their service life. It's cosmetic and removal problematical with all the many finishes available.

2 3,171
 04-18-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:28 PM)kav Wrote: 'tea stains' are surface discoloration NOT rust that can appear on razors. You can readily see it on many blades after their service life. It's cosmetic and removal problematical with all the many finishes available.

Thank you kav, this is a better and more accurate definition

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:31 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My sterling silver TEA SERVICE develops TEA STAINS. "rust and moths'

2 3,171
 04-18-2016, 06:32 PM
User Info
Oh this happened even on the Weber polished head razors. I really don't think it is cause for concern. If you really want it, and are not giving up an arm and a leg for it, I would go for it. Honestly though, these Webers are a lot do about nothing. They are just average stainless steel razors that people over glorify because they can't get them anymore. All of them were discontinued for one reason or another. I would never pay more than $100 for any of them.

63 1,720
 04-18-2016, 06:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
There are all manner of vintage razors discontinued for one reason or another that have seen a steady appreciation in value that makes the tulip bulb craze seem rational. Webers are not immune to this phenomenon and potentially investment worthy. Now, back to my EBAY search for a Darwin. 24

2 3,171
 04-18-2016, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:32 PM)NSmalls Wrote: Oh this happened even on the Weber polished head razors. I really don't think it is cause for concern. If you really want it, and are not giving up an arm and a leg for it, I would go for it. Honestly though, these Webers are a lot do about nothing. They are just average stainless steel razors that people over glorify because they can't get them anymore. All of them were discontinued for one reason or another. I would never pay more than $100 for any of them.

I tend to agree with the pH head, most seemed to have at least one side with a wave, the one I tried, one side was nice, the other side was meh and felt rough. The dlc tends to get quite a bit attention, I don't tend to hear  about wavy blades or anything like that. It could be because there's less and as you mentioned fairly unobtainable at this point. I wouldn't be spending an arm and a leg, just maybe a  finger. $170, significantly more I believe over original msrp, but less than eBay prices

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:44 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:41 PM)kav Wrote: There are all manner of vintage razors discontinued for one reason or another that have seen a steady appreciation in value that makes the tulip bulb craze seem rational. Webers are not immune to this phenomenon and potentially investment worthy. Now, back to my EBAY search for a Darwin. 24

Hahahaha this is my real holy grail. I'd love to acquire a dlc, tradere safety bar and a few others. Maybe I should call this second tier my unicorns

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:46 PM
User Info
I had all but the polished head version.

Bought them new and was a bit underwhelmed so I sold them.
Actually traded one. 

Anyway, the thing is you'll never really really know if it's your Goldilocks razor though without trying it.

I found them pretty similar to a Merkur or Edwin Jagger in how they shaved.

The black one was a pain to keep clean for me and the ARC was just boring at the end of the day.

I wish I had kept them now. Just to say I had them. I sometimes wonder if I had kept them and revisited them now if I'd like them both more. I'll never really know now.

Shame that they stopped making them...

9 1,407
 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:46 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I had all but the polished head version.

Actually traded one. 

Anyway, the thing is you'll never really really know if it's your Goldilocks razor though without trying it.

The black one was a pain to keep clean for me and the ARC was just boring at the end of the day.

I wish I had kept them now. Just to say I had them. I sometimes wonder if I had kept them and revisited them now if I'd like them both more. I'll never really know now.

I had the PH and found it only marginally more aggressive than the 34C and that was probably due to weight.

On the second point, that is probably why a large majority of people are after a Weber DLC. Just to say they have it. 

I really don't think there is anything cool about having a razor that is highly susceptible to rust. As a matter of fact I don't want rust anywhere near my face.

63 1,720
 04-18-2016, 06:59 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:46 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I had all but the polished head version.

Actually traded one. 

I completely agree, worst case, I try it, dislike and sell it for similar pricing which wouldn't take long to unload. I feel like I owe it to my face to at least try it

28 779
 04-18-2016, 06:59 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
It's hard for me to tell from the pictures what the issue is. I have a few of these razors and this one doesn't look out of the ordinary. Maybe I'm missing something, but if the price is reasonable, I don't see any major problems here.

60 843
 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:54 PM)NSmalls Wrote:

Actually traded one. 

I had the PH and found it only marginally more aggressive than the 34C and that was probably due to weight.

On the second point, that is probably why a large majority of people are after a Weber DLC. Just to say they have it. 

I really don't think there is anything cool about having a razor that is highly susceptible to rust. As a matter of fact I don't want rust anywhere near my face.

As kav explained better its just surface staining, not technically rust. Comes off very easy on a stainless surface, probably would be tricky on dlc but I just won't be leaving blades in the razor post-shave

28 779
 04-18-2016, 07:03 PM
User Info
(04-18-2016, 06:59 PM)greyhawk Wrote: It's hard for me to tell from the pictures what the issue is. I have a few of these razors and this one doesn't look out of the ordinary. Maybe I'm missing something, but if the price is reasonable, I don't see any major problems here.

Thank you for the input, I really just wanted others input on the validity of the razor. I've never seen one in person so I don't know what to look for to spot something that wasn't correct. In the first pic there's a minute brown orange stain on the left circle, appears to be a tea stain. I didn't think dlc would tea-stain and I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to cerakote a razor to look like a dlc finish. Everything looks correct compared to pics on the internet

28 779