07-23-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
This is not a thread directly comparing the SOC Badger to the Simpsons Manchurian brushes.....it's more of an observation.

I have two Simpsons Manchurian brushes - a new SimFix Pearlescent and a Somerset Manchurian Chubby 3. They are really lovely brushes. Nice backbone, flowthrough and feel at the tips.

The hair on the two brushes doesn't look the same, but they feel pretty similar on the face - enough that it would be hard to tell the hair apart on the basis of feel.

Anyway, I was using my SOC Badger today after having used my Manchurians lately, and I really feel that the SOC hair feels essentially the same as the Simpsons Manchurian. It even looks similar to the modern Manchurian. The flowthrough characteristics, backbone and the slight scritch at the tips are all similar.

Really, if someone stuck the SOC knot on a Simpsons handle, I wouldn't be able to make out any difference.

Given the price difference between the SOC badger and the Simpsons Manchurians, this is a significant observation.

---------

NOTE: MY SOC badgers had to be broken in for a while. They changed a bit in the first few uses. Also, I had two SOC Badger brushes - this one that I retained is excellent; I didn't like the other as much.

37 1,731
 07-23-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
Hi Yohann,

The Simfix 'Pearl' is not as tightly packed as a Simpson Manchurian.

They were in essence, experimental forerunners to the release of the Simpson Manchurians.

This may go a little way to explain the similarity in feel with the SOC.

Best,

Mark

(07-23-2012, 06:51 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: This is not a thread directly comparing the SOC Badger to the Simpsons Manchurian brushes.....it's more of an observation.

I have two Simpsons Manchurian brushes - a new SimFix Pearlescent and a Somerset Manchurian Chubby 3. They are really lovely brushes. Nice backbone, flowthrough and feel at the tips.

The hair on the two brushes doesn't look the same, but they feel pretty similar on the face - enough that it would be hard to tell the hair apart on the basis of feel.

Anyway, I was using my SOC Badger today after having used my Manchurians lately, and I really feel that the SOC hair feels essentially the same as the Simpsons Manchurian. It even looks similar to the modern Manchurian. The flowthrough characteristics, backbone and the slight scritch at the tips are all similar.

Really, if someone stuck the SOC knot on a Simpsons handle, I wouldn't be able to make out any difference.

Given the price difference between the SOC badger and the Simpsons Manchurians, this is a significant observation.

---------

NOTE: MY SOC badgers had to be broken in for a while. They changed a bit in the first few uses. Also, I had two SOC Badger brushes - this one that I retained is excellent; I didn't like the other as much.

1 630
 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
User Info
Mark -

Yep, I pretty much expected that, though I think you got it 'right' with the SimFix Pearlescent - the balance of backbone, tips and flowthrough is just about perfect. I'm not a fan of super-dense knots, as they limit backbone.

Also, the Chubby 2 Manchurian is certainly denser than anything I've owned, including a current Chubby 3 2-band.

I was comparing the 'feel' of the two knots - in that sense the SOC actually matches up pretty well. I have no doubt the hair is not sourced from the same part of the badger, but the overall feel is really similar.

37 1,731
 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
thanks for the post, Yohann.

75 20,883