04-20-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
Hello, 

We've all read those posts with horror: shaving brush slips out of hand and brush handle gets chipped or really busted up. 

I'm not talking insurance literally, I'm talking about a preventive solution. I keep a big block of alum (sold as a loose deodorant "crystal") next to the sink and alum-up my hands to improve my grip on both razor and brush.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this, but just in case this saves your favorite brush from a violent demise, consider this a public service announcement  Smile and a very cheap insurance policy. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-20-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
(04-20-2016, 07:47 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Hello, 

We've all read those posts with horror: shaving brush slips out of hand and brush handle gets chipped or really busted up. 

I'm not talking insurance literally, I'm talking about a preventive solution. I keep a big block of alum (sold as a loose deodorant "crystal") next to the sink and alum-up my hands to improve my grip on both razor and brush.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this, but just in case this saves your favorite brush from a violent demise, consider this a public service announcement  Smile and a very cheap insurance policy. 

-ntr(nwu)

Yes, alum does help in gripping. Nice advise indeed.

1 707
 04-20-2016, 07:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My apt floor is dressed with a modest collection of oriental rugs collected when young. I step into my bathroom and beauty is replaced with black rubber kitchen floor mats. I don't feel like breaking either my shave kit or any more bones.

2 3,171
 04-20-2016, 08:02 PM
User Info
(04-20-2016, 07:56 PM)kav Wrote: My apt floor is dressed with a modest collection of oriental rugs collected when young. I step into my bathroom and beauty is replaced with black rubber kitchen floor mats. I don't feel like breaking either my shave kit or any more bones.

Absolutely another good tip or two, kav. 

Brush collisions with counter-tops and sinks can be hazardous as well. I broke the lid of a very nice porcelain shaving soap bowl this week that way  Facepalm

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-20-2016, 10:00 PM
User Info
My concern with alum is that it is a salt, so I worry it might degrade the finish of my razor or brush, just as salts used to ice roads in the winter can harm your car. Am I overthinking this, or misunderstanding something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279
 04-21-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
That sounds logical Watson15. 

It strikes me that the amount of alum that transfers to the hand and then to the handle is probably very low. Rinse the handle thoroughly after use and wipe it off. On the off chance the finish is affected, I would think a little polish would take care of this pretty quickly and comprehensively. 

-ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-21-2016, 06:52 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Aluminum still comes up in recent medical discussions as a cause of Alzhiemers- but I forget which ones.

2 3,171
 04-21-2016, 08:05 AM
User Info
Rubber padding everywhere.  Laughing1

I don't worry about drops. Hopefully I don't ever lose one to a bad fall.

I'm generally being very careful and calculated in a concentrated state of mind while shaving due to the involvement of the blade. I like to think that degree of care and awareness carries over a bit to my handling of my brushes too.

Then again, I do have my moments and have been a klutz my share of times. When accidents happen I don't dwell on them forever. I try to learn from the mistake so I don't repeat it as easily and then get on with the day.

There is no material possession I value more than my family's health, safety, and well being. That's important and not easily replaced or repaired if damaged.

Some of my shaving gear is also irreplaceable and materially valuable. None of it I cannot live without or find a substitute for like the real things and people I genuinely treasure. I like my shaving gear. Some of it a lot. I love my family and friends though.

I would be sad losing my favorite razor or brush. I'd get over it soon enough. Time spent mourning the loss of an object would only cut into my time living and appreciating what I am fortunate to have.

7 1,313
 04-21-2016, 08:27 AM
User Info
Since the episode documented here - CH2 Super Carnage, I have made a slight adjustment. If I see or sense any lather on the handle, I just run it under warm water for a second or two. I find this quickly restores my grip and I can shave without worry. At least, I hope so....

38 1,159
 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM
User Info
(04-21-2016, 06:52 AM)kav Wrote: Aluminum still comes up in recent medical discussions as a cause of Alzhiemers- but I forget which ones.

LOL, well played sir!

3 248