04-21-2016, 10:16 AM
User Info
Hello from Idaho. I'm a college professor who loves the fact that I'm in a place where I am the student! I'm looking forward to learning about DE shaving from folks who know what's what. I've been using a brush for some time, mainly due to the propellants in most shave creams. Then I discovered that it just works better. I suppose what pushed me over the edge was something in 'The Apprentice'. Just the line, something to the effect, "Shave everyday." I realized I wasn't because the cartridges were a great excuse not to. So I started lurking about here and on some other sites and about a week ago I took the plunge and bought a double edge (ok- 3- I'm a scientist and realized right away that to experiment on blades I had to have more control- thanks to you guys and others I started with Astra SPs and I'm not sure why I'd want to experiment now. . . ) Everything is going well- spectacularly better than I expected since I tend sometimes to plunge in and stop when there is weeping and gnashing of teeth! (I think they call it overconfidence). Dodgy  Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot and will try to contribute some as I find I have anything to say. Thanks for having me and for having a great place to learn. Cool

0 8
 04-21-2016, 10:22 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Welcome- and we are all on a constant learning curve. Many come to save money and some for environemeddler concerns. The first is a lost cause and the second problematical but with many options. You will benefit from unthought of intangibles; friendships, illumination in dark and lost arts and time spent online safe from homicidal soccer moms in SUVs.

2 3,171
 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
User Info
Welcome. Hello

83 21,077
 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Welcome!  Once you take the plunge there is no going back!!   Biggrin

Eric

48 976
 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to TSN.  A pleasure to have you onboard.

178 23,808
 04-21-2016, 10:27 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Welcome aboard! What is your field of study? And which college are you at in ID?

Enjoy!

10 233
 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM
User Info
Welcome to a hobby that has a never ending learning curve!

0 413
 04-21-2016, 04:04 PM
User Info
(04-21-2016, 10:27 AM)Viking Wrote: Welcome aboard! What is your field of study? And which college are you at in ID?

Enjoy!

Thanks Viking. Biggrin (and everyone) I teach and study biological psychology. I'm at a small liberal arts college, The College of Idaho, in Caldwell, about 25 miles from Boise. We have about 1100 students- Idaho's oldest College (they get mad if we don't mention it's our 125th year- new by east coast standards. . . ).

0 8
 04-21-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 748
 04-21-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN

15 162
 04-21-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
Welcome grasshopper and enjoy the experience.

121 13,119
 04-21-2016, 04:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
O.K. educate me. I've been exposed to Arne Naess' DEEP ECOLOGY ( I never could get to the bottom of it). I know plants communicate chemically with each other. I met and shared vanilla icecream with Bart the Bear. I accept the ability of gorillas to use ASL in new combinations disproving mere parroting. As a horse trainer I rejected 'Horse whispering' and Animal psychics after a psychic said I upset a Arabian stallion for yelling at and pulling it off balance by the lead as it tried to bite a ranch worker.
So tell us about biological Psychology.

2 3,171
 04-21-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
Welcome! We'll do our best to teach you.

0 1,070
 04-21-2016, 05:57 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.   You'll find much knowledge and friendship here.   We look forward to your participation.

50 6,071
 04-21-2016, 06:45 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Enjoy the Forum!

59 4,492
 04-21-2016, 11:24 PM
User Info
Hello, welcome to: " The Shave Nook "  Relax & Enjoy.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 04-22-2016, 10:06 AM
User Info
(04-21-2016, 04:53 PM)kav Wrote: O.K. educate me. I've been exposed to Arne Naess' DEEP ECOLOGY ( I never could get to the bottom of it). I know plants communicate chemically with each other. I met and shared vanilla icecream with Bart the Bear. I accept the ability of gorillas to use ASL in new combinations disproving mere parroting. As a horse trainer I rejected 'Horse whispering' and Animal psychics after a psychic said I upset a Arabian stallion for yelling at and pulling it off balance by the lead as it tried to bite a ranch worker.
So tell us about biological Psychology.

Deep Ecology is a mystery to me also. Biological Psychology would not be interested in plant communication because we primarily start with behavior as requisite to what we are interested in- I study brains and we have those to move. Most of us start with things that have a nervous system (usually a brain also) and organized motor system (behavior and all). Cool Plant communication is surely important but most of our methods require a change in behavior of some sort for our data (that can, of course, include scans, EEG, TCMS, as well as readily observable behavior changes). I'm particularly interested in neuroanatomy/behavior correlations; functional neuroanatomy is the usual term. It's within the areas pioneered by A. R. Luria and others. We are also interested, of course, in the associated systems relating to hormones. I come from a learning background but am interested in human and infra-human not just our species. As to your field- I have the greatest respect for horse trainers. I love riding but I admit I've never connected them the way my sister has and I always go to her for advice (or a local professional). But I do have a bit of common sense (oops- a horse pun!) and If you pulled a stallion off balance to keep it from biting a worker that's just good technique and kind to the horse and the worker, imho. Biggrin Psychics - probably best I stay away from that one since I'm new here and have rather strong opinions- but I will say that the one who scolded you for helping a worker AND not harming the horse is just a bit off the mark, common sense again. I've been around animals all my life and worked with too many species to count- I'm yet to find one that was harmed by such a correction. I'd say, "Good job" and if I were the worker, "Thanks!" (TCMS is trans-cranial magnetic stimulation)

0 8
 04-24-2016, 07:01 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Welcome aboard! Interesting dialog already!

11 684
 04-24-2016, 07:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Horse training was just a survival job that didn't. I've been a lifeboat coxswain,monkeywrencher, Buddhist monk, field archaeologist (my academic background and avocation) Grand Canyon muletrain leader and countless retail and manufacturing jobs.
There seems to be a fervor for all manner of disciplines studying influences beyond genetics AND ON genetics itself. I was briefly at UCSC when the proponents of 'The Selfish Gene'  first published. I was in a rather heated exchange, that campus being a marvelous repository of kooks and cut the proponent off at the gene for kneecaps. 'So, if we are just chemicals competing to replicate ourselves you are justified in sleeping with coeds while married and overpricing your books'?
The dean hurried my redirection to UCB.

2 3,171
 04-24-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

3 106